Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from a CBS RMT fan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Greetings from a CBS RMT fan Reply with quote

Hi folks. I'm new both to the Mystery Shows club and to this forum, and am enjoying the site immensely. I've loved OTR shows ever since my school librarian started playing tapes of them for the kids in my school back in the eighties, but my especial favourite would have to be CBS Radio Mystery Theater. A friend introduced me to it about eight years ago and I've been a devotee ever since. (I even like all the old commercials and am always happy to find episodes with commercials in them. I guess that's because I grew up in the eighties, so some of those commercials bring back fond memories.)
Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any other such CBS RMT fans out there, and if people would care to exchange episode recommendations and the like. I've always found Bob Duhrin's plays to be especially compelling--including episodes such as A Holiday Visit, Cantankerous Ghost, Garden of the Moon and You Tell Me Your Dream. I think that of all the CBS RMT writers, he was the most imaginative and the episodes written by him were the scariest and most interesting. Of course, I admire the other great writers too, such as Sam Dann and Ian Martin.
I'd definitely be open to some CBS MRT discussion if anyone else is up for it.
Cheers!
crich70

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calya,
I can remember when the shows were in their 1st run way back in the 70's (I was born in 1970). I'd lie on my parent's bed and listen to E.G. Marshall introduce that week's episode. Don't remember if any of them ever gave me nightmares back then but it would have been worth it. I remember one night (I guess it was either late 70's or early 80's) I had by that time gotten a am/fm radio (I think my uncle Jack had sent it for Christmas the yr before) and I tried to stay awake to hear what I believed was the last episode to air (though it might just have been that the station stopped carrying it). I fell asleep and woke the next morning to a am/fm radio with a dead 9 volt battery. lol.
calya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have been amazing to listen to those episodes while they were actually being broadcast, and you must have been so disappointed to have slept through the last episode! I know the last one was broadcast in late 1982, but perhaps your station stopped carrying them several years before that.
Aries86

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute favorite? 21st Precinct. Just wish the existing shows were in better condition. Suspense is right up there too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: