Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Halloween OTR?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
crich70



Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 322
Location: Monroe Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Favorite Halloween OTR? Reply with quote

I think it goes without saying that Orson Welles production of "War of the Worlds" is the best known Halloween broadcast of OTR but I was wondering what others have as favorites to listen to during the holiday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
human



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 244

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Halloween OTR? Reply with quote

I'll be playing that War of the Worlds broadcast for my Technology & Society class later this month.

crich70 wrote:
I think it goes without saying that Orson Welles production of "War of the Worlds" is the best known Halloween broadcast of OTR but I was wondering what others have as favorites to listen to during the holiday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crich70



Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 322
Location: Monroe Wisconsin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Halloween OTR? Reply with quote

human wrote:
I'll be playing that War of the Worlds broadcast for my Technology & Society class later this month.

crich70 wrote:
I think it goes without saying that Orson Welles production of "War of the Worlds" is the best known Halloween broadcast of OTR but I was wondering what others have as favorites to listen to during the holiday.

Interesting Human. What's the premise behind the lesson? I mean are you trying to show how radio helped spread the area of panic over a larger area than it would have been spread or what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
human



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 244

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Halloween OTR? Reply with quote

The course examines the 'chicken-and-egg' question of how society is affected by technological change and how the pace and direction of technological change is affected by various societal forces.

We're getting ready to start a unit on mass communication, which will cover technologies from the printing press to the Internet, including radio and TV. Because most of my students were born well after the OTR era, I have them listen to some OTR shows and write a short essay about the experience. I play War of the Worlds in class and talk about the public panic that it caused, how it happened and how the listening public's relationship with the new medium of radio played into it.

crich70 wrote:
human wrote:
I'll be playing that War of the Worlds broadcast for my Technology & Society class later this month.

crich70 wrote:
I think it goes without saying that Orson Welles production of "War of the Worlds" is the best known Halloween broadcast of OTR but I was wondering what others have as favorites to listen to during the holiday.

Interesting Human. What's the premise behind the lesson? I mean are you trying to show how radio helped spread the area of panic over a larger area than it would have been spread or what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crich70



Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 322
Location: Monroe Wisconsin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Halloween OTR? Reply with quote

human wrote:
The course examines the 'chicken-and-egg' question of how society is affected by technological change and how the pace and direction of technological change is affected by various societal forces.

We're getting ready to start a unit on mass communication, which will cover technologies from the printing press to the Internet, including radio and TV. Because most of my students were born well after the OTR era, I have them listen to some OTR shows and write a short essay about the experience. I play War of the Worlds in class and talk about the public panic that it caused, how it happened and how the listening public's relationship with the new medium of radio played into it.

I see. It is a very interesting situation I agree. Back then I understand an important news flash would be announced by a 'piano interlude' and of course if people heard it on the radio it must be the truth both of which explain in part why people went off the deep end. And of course the problems in Europe with Hitler and his cohorts no doubt raised the tension level as well. Orson Welles was probably wise to go into hiding for a little while after that fiasco. It's a wonder he didn't get himself lynched at the time. I imagine many of your students don't realize what they've missed by not listening to OTR sooner once they've heard some of it. I know I was hooked from the 1st when I heard E.G. Marshall hosting CBSRMT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:    View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Listen To Free Old Time Radio On Our Home Page