Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone out here listen to Vic and Sade?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Anyone out here listen to Vic and Sade? Reply with quote

I would love to talk about some Vic and Sade. This is a very, very different and quirky series. The sound quality is mostly good.

If you listen to or have listened to the shows out there, holla at me.
Zap

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried listening once- never could get into it.

Perhaps I have to give it another try? Any arguments in support of the show?
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic and Sade now sits at #1 on my list of radio shows. The show is NOT a serial - so it's different everyday. So far, I haven't found anything I don't like.

It's a totally unique show. I'm positive you would like the show!
Zap

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to give it a return-listen!
Zap

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I tried! I really did.

I'm surprised this one rates so high on your list, Jimbo- I honestly find it un-listenable.

The monotone dialogue just drones on, and on and to me sounds very 'read' not well acted. Half the time I can't even tell what's being said as the actors mumble a lot, and often talk over each other.

I tried listening to several episodes and could barely distinguish the different characters from one another- I found it hard to grasp any real personalities to them. Everyone seemed to have the same pattern of speech, mannerisms, and interchangeable dialogue.

The fact that it's not a serial is a negative to me. Rather than just a wall of (seemingly random) back and forth jibber-jabber for 10 minutes or so, maybe longer storylines with actual plots over several episodes might have made it hold my interest.

I was surprised the episodes I heard were from the 40's- the format seems to me a throwback to the 1920's when the pace, timing, sound quality and production value of radio shows weren't well established.

Not that every show has to be slick and over-produced (I love how Lum and Abner isn't) but for me, Vic and Sade sounds like amateur radio. I'm amazed it was wildly popular as late as the 40's.

I'm sure in many ways mine is an unfair assessment, but the show just doesn't hold my interest long enough for me to learn otherwise. I just have to chalk it up to it not being my cup of tea. Smile
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
Well... I tried! I really did.

I'm surprised this one rates so high on your list, Jimbo- I honestly find it un-listenable.

The monotone dialogue just drones on, and on and to me sounds very 'read' not well acted. Half the time I can't even tell what's being said as the actors mumble a lot, and often talk over each other.

I tried listening to several episodes and could barely distinguish the different characters from one another- I found it hard to grasp any real personalities to them. Everyone seemed to have the same pattern of speech, mannerisms, and interchangeable dialogue.

The fact that it's not a serial is a negative to me. Rather than just a wall of (seemingly random) back and forth jibber-jabber for 10 minutes or so, maybe longer storylines with actual plots over several episodes might have made it hold my interest.

I was surprised the episodes I heard were from the 40's- the format seems to me a throwback to the 1920's when the pace, timing, sound quality and production value of radio shows weren't well established.

Not that every show has to be slick and over-produced (I love how Lum and Abner isn't) but for me, Vic and Sade sounds like amateur radio. I'm amazed it was wildly popular as late as the 40's.

I'm sure in many ways mine is an unfair assessment, but the show just doesn't hold my interest long enough for me to learn otherwise. I just have to chalk it up to it not being my cup of tea. Smile

When I first began listening to Vic and Sade, I had a hard time making out Vic's mumble - but I overcame that quickly. He's the only one that mumbles - mostly everything he says is a mumble. But I learned to pick up on it..

Others did too as it was one of the most-popular daytime shows - even Lum and Abner listened to them.

I understand if it's not your cup of tea - there are several shows I "should" like that I have no interest at all in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Comedy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: