Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member - longtime radio fan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: New member - longtime radio fan Reply with quote

I found this site recently, made the donation, and began downloading files from the members area. Things here seem better organized than on some other sites, and that certainly is appreciated.

I've been listening to old radio programs ever since I was a child, when a friend brought over a few cassette tapes of some of the better-known programs. (This was the early 1980's; I wasn't around when the shows were first broadcast.) From back then, I remember programs such as "Suspense", "Jack Benny", and the news report of the Hindenburg disaster. Later on, I bought a few CDs and cassette tapes, but the internet has allowed me to massively expand my collection in recent years.

I have favorite programs in all genres and like variety, but comedy programs, music/variety programs, westerns, and old propaganda shows make up a great deal of my listening time.

I don't have anything extremely rare in my collection, as I haven't yet acquired any transcription discs. However, I plan to eventually get a turntable that will play 16" discs, and then I will start looking for transcriptions. If I'm ever lucky enough to find some rare ones, I'll digitize them and make them available here and elsewhere. The best way to preserve these programs for posterity is to make sure they are available in multiple locations online; that way, if the transcription disc ever gets destroyed, the content still exists.

I have assembled a few series that tend to be scattered on many websites and often mis-labeled (one example is the various Rudy Vallee shows), and I have been removing duplicates and fixing dates and labels as best I can. I'll be happy to provide these to the members area if I find that my collection is more complete or accurate than what is already there.

I'll look forward to comparing notes with others here.

Heather
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Heather! I noticed you live in Salt Lake City,same as me. It's nice to know there are other people In my area that love OTR. Welcome to the club. Very Happy
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Heather Very Happy

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Heather.
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed welcome to the group Heather. I got some of my 1st exposure to OTR via audio cassettes as well. My dad bought a few in the late 70's or early 80's at local stores that were selling them. Before that though I had heard some of CBS Radio Mystery Theater's episodes as a very young child. And after that I was hooked though I didn't have the means to get hold of any episodes to keep back then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: