Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Downloading Restrictions - Please Read

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: New Downloading Restrictions - Please Read Reply with quote

Hi friends,

As some of you know, the server our website is on just suffered a "denial of service" attack about four days ago. It caused us tons of trouble. I was on the phone with tech support for over three hours trying to get things fixed up.

Some users were blocked, including myself. I couldn't email, ftp or use the site all day yesterday. Other users experienced connection problems and trouble downloading shows.

Our web hosting provider has put some new downloading restrictions in place to help stop bandwidth abuse. I need some volunteers to help me with some testing. It won't take long and of course, you don't have to even do it if you don't want to.

Please send me a private message on this forum or email me if you'd like to help out or get more details about this project.

Thanks,

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out what limits our hosting provider has recently implemented. As far as I can tell, they look for too many connections at the same time. If they find this, they ban the users ip address from this website for 72 hours and then let them back on again.

If you just browse the webpage or forum, that counts as only one connection. If you open something in a new window, then that would be two connections. If you right-click and save a show to your computer, while it's downloading, you'll have three connections.

If you use the site normally, I don't think there is any way you could get banned. You may run into trouble if you try to download ten or 20 shows at the exact same time. I just don't know yet. The hosting provider won't tell me the exact conditions that will trigger the ban.

I'm going to do some more testing and try to determine what the exact limits are so I can let everyone know.

I don't care how many shows people download. I'm not to happy with this new rule and I don't want to see anyone get the 72 hour ban. You are all free to download as many shows as you like, but if you get the temporary ban, I will not be able to lift it. I already tried for two users and the hosting provider wouldn't lift it. They just let it run out, which fortunately was in a couple hours.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm working on the problem now and will report back here when I know more.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me explain more about the "ip address" for anyone interested. Your internet service provider (example: mine is Comcast Cable) provides their customers with a unique ip address.

All the computers in your home would be seen on the Internet as coming from this ip address.

So even if you have five different computers at home, from a web server's point of view, they are all the same.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some testing with the Firefox "down them all" plugin. I haven't had any problem downloading shows so far.

By default, this plugin only downloads four shows at the same time and I have the site open in one window. This is five active connections.

I think where people are running into trouble is using the kind of download manager that breaks the files into seperate chunks and make tons of open connections to the server.

If this happens, our hosting provider's security settings on the server are going to think it's a "denial of service" attack and ban the user's ip address for 72 hours.

To be safe, I would recommend only using the Firefox plug-in and setting it to only download one or two shows at a time. This way you could set it to get a group of shows but without making too many connections at the same time.

Thanks,

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense Brad. Also I've found that if you are trying to download too many things at once (even small files like for some mp3's for example) that it takes longer to download anything so it is better to go with just downloading 1 or 2 files at a time for that reason anyway (using things like down them all). Otherwise it's like the files are getting in each other's way while trying to be downloaded. Sort of a 'clogged drain' effect I guess you might say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: