Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My external hard drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: My external hard drive Reply with quote

We had a really nice Thanksgiving Day, except that one of my grandsons was near my computer where I had my external hard drive plugged in. He somehow tripped over a cord, which threw the external hard drive onto the floor. It no longer works. Today is black Friday and my son went with me early to get a different external hard drive. I am beginning to put shows onto it. I think I have a lot of downloading to do.

Shirley
human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. This time last year, I had to replace mu computer following an unexpected mishap of unknown origin. Reconstructing lost data is no picnic.
Lock_Keeper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Wrecked Hard Drives Reply with quote

There may be a way of recovering the data
try dismantling the drive housing and carefully remove the hard drive by disconnecting the cables. Check and see if it is a IEDE drive or a SATA drive. With the EIDE drive you may have to re jumper the drive as a secondary drive.
Open your up your base unit and find the IDED or SATA leads to the current internal drive and a spare power cable that fits - do not force any connectors they fit with a gentle push - connect the drive and repower the machine- boot in to bios F12 or DEL depandent of mother board- check to see if the new drive is visible - then quit and boot into windows as normal - use windows explorer to try to recover data from the drive - you may be lucky
This is not a definitive method of recovering data but it has worked for me in the past - be aware this can void your warranty of the base machine
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock_Keeper,
Thanks for your advice. I am going to let my husband read what you said and see if he can do what you talk about. It is a bit more than I can understand, but my husband is a computer programmer, so we will see.

Thanks again,

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: