Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick Your Favorite Mystery Show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Pick Your Favorite Mystery Show Reply with quote

If you had to pick one and only one old time radio mystery show to use as an example to get a friend interested in old time radio mystery, which show would it be.

Not your favorite series, but the actual one single show? Do you have a personal favorite? Let us know here. Very Happy

My selected show would be:

Suspense - On A Country Road
A couple finds themselves stranded on an isolated country road at night in the middle of a storm. If that's not bad enough... There is a murderer on the loose that just escaped from a mental institution! Starring Cary Grant. Original broadcast 1950.

This show can be found in our Suspense folder in the club member's area if you'd like to hear it. It can also be found here:

http://www.mysteryshows.com/mystery-podcast-player/mystery-podcast-player.php

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Suspense show, "Sorry, Wrong Number". I have listened to it many times and still like to listen to it.

Shirley
human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a toss-up between Suspense: "Donovan's Brain" and Mystery in the Air: "The Black Cat", starring Peter Lorre. "Donovan's Brain" is a bit more sci-fi than a straight mystery, but it's one of my all-time otr favorites. Suspense also earns points for being a very prominent, long-running show while Mystery in the Air, was a somewhat obscure eight-episode summer replacement series. Still, Peter Lorre's performance in "The Black Cat" is a manic masterpiece.
JulieH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The episode of Richard Diamond with the bomber who plans to blow up the chief of police unless the mayor capitulates.

I wish I knew the title, but it's got humor, suspense, psychological coolness, and a lot of tension.
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie the episode your referring to is The Louis Spence Case from 03-05-50
Just wanted to let you know. Very Happy
JulieH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Yes! It was on the tip of my brain (but that's a very crowded place).

Thanx much!
--Julie
hangman3364

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta go with House in Cyrpess Canyon/Strange Death of Charles Umberstein/The Fountain Plays.

Any of which is a great story, well written and well acted. Worth many repeat performances.
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy that's a tough one. There are so many to choose from. I must say though that Brad's choice of "On A Country Road" would be around the top of my list as well. I think if I was going to choose one show that would be representitive of old time radio as an example for someone,in order to try and get them Interested it would be a series of the calibur that Suspense is. The stories,quality of production and the fact that there were so many great stars that appeared on the series all add up to one fine example of radio drama. Also, "On A Country Road" is the episode that got Carl Amari,the founder of Radio Spirits hooked on old time radio. He said he went over to a friend's house one day and his friend played the episode for him and that was his first experience with old time radio. He was hooked from then on. He started Radio Spirits while still in his teens.
crich70

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the Sherlock Holmes episode "The paradol Chamber" myself. It even has a rare appearance by Mrs. Watson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: