Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greeting from Wisconsin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Greeting from Wisconsin Reply with quote

Joined this month and I am still feeling my way around the site. It is great to find a site such as this, I have always been addicted to the Radio since I stationed in Japan. We were without a TV (English speaking that is) but we still had the old trusty Radio FEN (Far East Network). We all adapted quickly and listened 24/7 to AFRTS(Armed Forces Radio, Television Service). Over the years I recorded over 300 reel to reels that I would like to share. Unfortunately you probably have most in the collection here. I need to convert them to a digital format and edit them. Most have twelve hours per reel. So it might take some time. Brad is there anything I need to look for first.

I love 99.9% of the programing, of course I have favorites.
Still can't believe I found such a site. LOVE - IT

Ray in Cheese-land Question
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club Ray! Very Happy
Ray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret, Thanks for the welcome, Have been just amazed in all that is available. I just hope I can contribute in some way. I know I have a lot of the AFRTS programing such as the Golden Age of Radio with Frank B. Thirty years ago I was able to directly copy the 16 or 18 inch disc of the Zero Hour but it looks as if it is available here. I still have to figure out how to digitize my old collection of reel to reel. Smile
crich70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray. I don't know if it's as simple with reel to reel, but as I recall when I used Music Match Jukebox all I needed was a line in connection between my cassette recorder and the computer to convert the signal from the cassettes to playable media on the computer. I'd guess you would need something like that to go from reel to reel to computer media as well. It's been a while since I tried to do it, but I wouldn't think it would be very complicated. The hardest part seems to be making sure that you have the cord plugged in the right one of the 3 audio related holes on the back of the computer. Smile
Ray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fellow Wisconsinite, Did you use any special software? And where would you get a connection for your computer? The Reel to Reels I have, all have RCA type of connections. How would one speed up the process or record at a different speed? My reel to reels have three speeds and can record fast but can a computer do that? Sorry for all the questions but I am getting to be an old timer with this new technology. Ray
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,
I just used MusicMatchJukebox, though of course the audio tape was in cassette form rather than reel to reel. One place you might try for cables is Radio Shack. They should at least be able to give you an idea of what type of cable you would need, assuming they don't have it in stock. They no longer seem to make MusicMatchJukebox, but old versions can be found here. http://www.oldapps.com/musicmatch.php It seems to be freeware. Guess they decided to just release it free after they decided to stop making that particular program. I'm not certain about the speed issue. I just let the files in question play out at a normal speed for audio cassette's. Hope this has been of some help.
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also find the following article of use too.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2044867_convert-audio-tape-mp3.html
Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will go to Janesville tomorrow and see what they might have available. I'll let you know. Thanks for your reply. Ray Smile
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Ray. Good luck with your project.

Ray wrote:
Thanks, I will go to Janesville tomorrow and see what they might have available. I'll let you know. Thanks for your reply. Ray Smile
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Ray! Very Happy

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: