Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Friends of Old Time Radio Convention

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Friends of Old Time Radio Convention Reply with quote

I just got this email from Sean. You may like to take a look at it.

---------
Hi Brad, I noticed your site linked on Twitter just now. I'm publicity coordinator for The Friends of Old Time Radio Convention, www.fotr.net and could provide and wonder if it's possible for you to blog abou the convention as your audience must be a fit. The convention will take place at the Holiday Inn North by Newark Airport, 160 Frontage Road in Newark, and will run from October 22-25.

The invited guest list looks great so far. I know everyone will enjoy seeing the great Simon Jones ("Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy") again. He will be fresh off a Broadway production of "Blithe Spirit" with Angela Lansbury. U.S. OTR veteran Herb Ellis rejoins us for the first time since 1992! Herb was a major presence on Dragnet as well as countless other great West Coast OTR shows. Shirley Mitchell (Lelia Ransom on Gildersleeve) and Glorida McMillan (Harriet Conklin on Our Miss Brooks) are also back for more. Another great returning guest is Richard Herd of Theater Five and who gained fame later with numerous television roles such as Admiral Paris on Star Trek, and Willhelm on Seinfeld. When he was last at FOTR in 1999, he not only acted and spoke on panels, he also volunteered on sound effects.

We are planning a recreation of Quiet Please for this year, and Simon Jones is scheduled to star as "The Saint."

The full list of invited guests so far follows:

Arthur Anderson, Cliff Carpenter, Craig Wichman, Jay Stern, Elaine Hyman, Bill Owen, Corinne Orr, Rosemary Rice, Leslie Shreve, Max Wilk, Simon Jones, Chuck McCann, Clay Cole, Patrice Munsel, Sue Thompson, Buck Ford, Richard Herd, Michael Gwynne, Larry Conroy and wife, Christina Britton Conroy, Will Hutchins, Gloria McMillan, Shirley Mitchell, Ruth Last, Herb Ellis.

If any of these folks would be of interest as interview subjects for your forum, please let me know. Please note there are several old time radio fan conventions around the country over the course of the year. While I only work for this one, I know everybody and can introduce you to the right contacts at those events as well. The main ones are in Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Seattle and Aberdeen, Maryland.

Speak to you soon,

Sean Dougherty
Publicity Coordinator
Friends of Old Time Radio Convention
201-739-2541
seandd@optonline.net
follow me on Twitter: @doughertysean
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound interesting Brad. As I remember Mr. Herd also was in "V: the final battle" as the supreme commander in the 1980's and also worked on T.J. Hooker opposite William Shatner (Capt. Kirk on Star Trek). lol. I didn't realize he had a background in OTR shows though. The idea of an interview forum for some of the old stars sounds like a good one. Not everyone can get to Newark. lol. And with how long ago most of the old shows were made it probably won't be too many more yrs before it's impossible to talk to the old radio people about what it was like to make the programs back then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: