Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Message from Himan Brown's granddaughter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Message from Himan Brown's granddaughter Reply with quote

The message below was posted to the CBSRMT Yahoo group by Himan Brown's granddaughter, Melina Brown. I thought it might be of interest to this group, so I'm taking the liberty of re-posting it here:

My Grandfather worked with the best writers and he never told them what to
write. He just let them go, so long as it fit the main idea of scary, spooky, mind bending, or whatever the series was.because, remember he did a lot of specific series like Little Italy and the Shadow (which he leased). He did edit for time and he did hire writers (till very recently actually) to write specific scripts on specific subjects, such as his biographies. He actually even kept certain writers writing when he wasn't in need of a script just to keep them working in slow times. He is greatly loved by his actors and his writers, that's for sure!

When I look through the scripts, which he still has in boxes and which I want to digitize so they can be leafed through while folks listen, I am always surprised to find who wrote for him! Some were academy award winners,
some went on to become successful novelists, and some were writing under
assumed names (if you know what I mean.)

I can just imagine him reading some of those "futuristic" stories and shrugging his shoulders..the drama and relationships were what was important to him. The setting, so long as it wasn't insane, was less important. Though, I have to say that one of my very favorite productions of his is an inner sanctum that was saved on a wax record by Lipton to count and document their commercials, where a wife was going crazy and the walls were talking to her. it was not only spooky but also really crazy. she was going insane, or being driven insane..

Anyway.

Please do not buy or sell the shows. These Distros have kept the shows alive, but there is a fine line between trying to get the masters, which we
have and have transferred, and just sharing the shows..It has been a source
of grief for my grandfather because he wanted to control when they were
released. I think he understands now that this keeps the shows alive in a way. The double edged sword about this whole thing is that if it hadn't been
coming back to him all the time that these things were out there, he might
have released the masters a long time ago. I've found that every great stride that I've made towards releasing them has been stifled by another
page or outlet or the constant search for some reel to reel out there that
might be THE masters..

I can say that it's unlikely that the masters won't be out in his lifetime. but he is 99, (and still doing OK,) so, time is relative to us now. When the time comes, it will be addressed I guess.

Thanks for your interest in the shows.

Melina Brown
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting group human. What's the addy for it? I've looked round and the only one I could find seems to have more spam than anything else.
human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The address is cbs_rmt@yahoogroups.com. It's not a high-traffic group, but they're pretty good about keeping the spam to a minimum.
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah human, that's an e-mail address. I meant the website address. Smile
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this with us. Very interesting to here what Ms.Brown
had to say!
human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crich70 wrote:
Ah human, that's an e-mail address. I meant the website address. Smile

You can send an e-mail to that address with 'subscribe' in the address line and body of the message or you can go to www.groups.yahoo.com/cbs_rmt/ and subscribe from the Web page.
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok. Got it sent. I tried clicking on the link first and got a message that the document I requested was unavailable. Odd, but that's yahoo for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: