Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Shadow, Doc Savage and The Avenger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theotrguy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: The Shadow, Doc Savage and The Avenger Reply with quote

As someone who has broadcast Old-Time Radio shows (and may start up again), I was aware of some issues with the three programs listed above: The Shadow, Doc Savage, and The Avenger. Believe it or not, these three programs are actually not in the Public Domain. They are copyrighted works owned by Conde Nast. It's unfortunate, especially with The Shadow, which is such a great show. I've heard that the lawyers at Conde Nast can be a rather unforgiving bunch. Some broadcasters have been the recipient of cease and desist letters, and they will definitely sue. Live365 was issued a 'cease and desist' from Conde Nast as far back as 2005. Live365 OTR broadcasters can not broadcast those shows. Other OTR broadcasters that were caught playing them have also recently received cease and desist letters.

A lot of OTR broadcasters still play the shows, but they are leaving themselves open to litigation from Conde Nast if discovered. I never played those shows, and never will - just about everything else in the OTR genre is in the Public Domain, and it's just safer not to broadcast something where a copyright owner exists.

You may want to look into this and take whatever action you see fit. This is a great website and I'd hate to see you run into trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: