Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What service should we use for file sharing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: What service should we use for file sharing? Reply with quote

What file sharing service should we use for members on this forum to share files?

Let's hear your suggestions and why the service is good.

Of course, you may use and post your shows any way you wish. I'm just trying to find the best one that we can all sign up for and use.

Thanks,

Brad
nyquil junkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapidshare.com is very good. the free accounts are time limited for downloads, and you cant do simultaneous downloads.

for a free service thats not as time-restricted, www.megaupload.com/ is good, its free to register and will take 1GB uploads on a free membership and store 50GB on a free membership.
This is more than enough for casual file sharing. and its more reliable.

Their download speed is kinda slow, but its much faster than a torrent, or a common P2P system. rapidshare's download speed is much faster but their free member perks are way less than megaupload.

you RAR an acrchive, upload it to your free megaupload account and just post or send the link for the file to whoever.

they download it right off the megaupload site.
free accounts are 1 file download at a time, and a 25 second wait for the link, but its not bad when you consider the headache downloading torrents are, or the virus hotbed P2P is anymore.

My suggestion is to use megaupload.com for swapping files.
You can post a link to your file where it is stored for anyone to download freely.

here is an example from my account, try this download;

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3Z499XBD

just put that address in your web browser address bar and hit go.(or click this link)
enter the 3 letter code and download it. (is a song file, Nicolette Larson, @3MB in size)
see how you like the download speed.

Ive used it for a while its a clean site. So is rapidshare.com

I dont recommend torrents or P2P, they are getting really risky anymore.
and painfully slow.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyquil junkie wrote:
Rapidshare.com is very good. the free accounts are time limited for downloads, and you cant do simultaneous downloads.

for a free service thats not as time-restricted, www.megaupload.com/ is good, its free to register and will take 1GB uploads on a free membership and store 50GB on a free membership.
This is more than enough for casual file sharing. and its more reliable.

Their download speed is kinda slow, but its much faster than a torrent, or a common P2P system. rapidshare's download speed is much faster but their free member perks are way less than megaupload.

you RAR an acrchive, upload it to your free megaupload account and just post or send the link for the file to whoever.

they download it right off the megaupload site.
free accounts are 1 file download at a time, and a 25 second wait for the link, but its not bad when you consider the headache downloading torrents are, or the virus hotbed P2P is anymore.

My suggestion is to use megaupload.com for swapping files.
You can post a link to your file where it is stored for anyone to download freely.

here is an example from my account, try this download;

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3Z499XBD

just put that address in your web browser address bar and hit go.(or click this link)
enter the 3 letter code and download it. (is a song file, Nicolette Larson, @3MB in size)
see how you like the download speed.

Ive used it for a while its a clean site. So is rapidshare.com

I dont recommend torrents or P2P, they are getting really risky anymore.
and painfully slow.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the info. I'll look at both of these today.

Brad
catfreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RapidShare is Okay . . . but downloading (with a free account) only 100MB every 2 or 3 hours is very time consuming . . .

MegaUpLoad has download limits and, like Rapidshare, has unreasonable waiting times to resume . . . 250MB is just too little to be able to share at a time

MediaFire . . well don't get me started on them. USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

DivShare doesn't seem to be too bad, I like the fact that you can arrange your files in folders.

Unfortunately, at the moment Multiply seems to be the most reliable with the fewest restrictions

Most of the file sharing sites will only allow free users to download one file at a time so file zipping of some type is recommended.

One site that I've been seriously considering is using the archive.org site. It allows huge files and there doesn't seem to be any time restrictions . . . plus they appear to have TONS!! of bandwidth . . and you can do multiple downloads with a download accelerator

Victor

at 9:05am on Jan 27th, my buddy left me
                 R.I.P. my loving friend
A righteous man regards the life of his animal
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfreak wrote:
    RapidShare is Okay . . . but downloading (with a free account) only 100MB every 2 or 3 hours is very time consuming . . .

MegaUpLoad has download limits and, like Rapidshare, has unreasonable waiting times to resume . . . 250MB is just too little to be able to share at a time

MediaFire . . well don't get me started on them. USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

DivShare doesn't seem to be too bad, I like the fact that you can arrange your files in folders.

Unfortunately, at the moment Multiply seems to be the most reliable with the fewest restrictions

Most of the file sharing sites will only allow free users to download one file at a time so file zipping of some type is recommended.

One site that I've been seriously considering is using the archive.org site. It allows huge files and there doesn't seem to be any time restrictions . . . plus they appear to have TONS!! of bandwidth . . and you can do multiple downloads with a download accelerator

Victor

Victor,

Thanks for the info. I just uploaded 10 "Father Knows Best" episodes. Here is the link: http://www.archive.org/details/FatherKnowsBest_685

Try and download some and see what you think.

Brad
nyquil junkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archive.org
Never hear of that one, I will go check it out.
catfreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor

R.I.P. my loving friend

Last edited by catfreak on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
nyquil junkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kewl... thanks!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone try the "Father Knows Best" episodes. Here is the link: http://www.archive.org/details/FatherKnowsBest_685

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listened to all of the Father Knows Best and they are really funny. I am sure I will be listening to them again sometime.
Shirley
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
Did anyone try the "Father Knows Best" episodes. Here is the link: http://www.archive.org/details/FatherKnowsBest_685

Brad

Yes, tried one and it downloaded easily at 23 kb/s
gilinaz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a file-sharing site that accepts zip files? Seems to me, being able to download these would cut down a lot of time on individual episodes. It gets kinda tiresome, when you have 40 or 50 episodes to a series Very Happy. I am speaking of something other than RapidShare or MegaUpload.

And, speaking of ZIPS...Victor, I do quite a bit of ZIP downloading, from the Archive Very Happy And, then...someone always comes along and tells me "I have a better sounding set than that!" Very Happy
catfreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilinaz wrote:
Is there a file-sharing site that accepts zip files? Seems to me, being able to download these would cut down a lot of time on individual episodes. It gets kinda tiresome, when you have 40 or 50 episodes to a series :D. I am speaking of something other than RapidShare or MegaUpload.

And, speaking of ZIPS...Victor, I do quite a bit of ZIP downloading, from the Archive :D And, then...someone always comes along and tells me "I have a better sounding set than that!" :D
    MiHD.net accepts .zip files . . They're somewhat limited as to what they provide, but they haven't burned me . . . . yet

I love it when someone provides me with a 'better' sounding set . . After all, that's what collecting's all about

Victor

R.I.P. my loving friend
gilinaz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor...yeah, but you would have saved some download time, if the better-sounding set had arrived first Very Happy

I'm not really familiar with MiHD...to what service does it compare? I'm presuming this isn't the "only" one that accepts ZIPs
catfreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor

R.I.P. my loving friend
gilinaz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor...well, with that 200 mb limit, that should pretty well cover any zip files you might have. Most of the ones I get, from the various blogs...even including the RAR files...are 80 mb, at most.

I haven't seen any "write ups" about the others, concerning being able to upload zips, with them. Maybe someone else knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: