Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Favorite Husband

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hangman3364

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: My Favorite Husband Reply with quote

My Favorite Husband isn't exactly a new discovery for me, by any means. Back in the Radio Spirits days, I've purchased cassettes and CDs but it's always been a hit or miss show for me.

Lately I've been working my way through the series and have come to appreciate it a little more.

There's no denying Lucille Ball's comedic skills but quality of the show really varies from episode to episode. Even by sitcom standards, some plots require some serious suspension of disbelief. More than a few times I found myself wondering what the audience was laughing at becuase the dialogue and the jokes were silly, not funny.

On the positive side, as I work my way through the series, you can find some real gem episodes ("Liz's Birthday" had some serious laughs and was one of the highlights) Episodes that focus more on the whole "Men Vs. Women" theme usually work best, I think. The wacky caper episodes sometimes reach a little too far. (While it supplied some laughs, are we really to believe that after ten years of marriage Liz suddenly suspects her husband is trying to kill her? "The Wills")

Even in some weak episodes, Gale Gordon brings a lot to the table and Richard Dunning proves himself an equal to Lucille Ball.

I've come to enjoy the series more than just giving it a casual listen. Despite some of the weaknesses I've mentioned, the show does often provide some serious harty laughter. Not as consistently as, say, "Fibber McGee and Molly," but still worth the time and effort. And hey, you can't ignore the precursor to "I Love Lucy," can you?
allenkephart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Some My Favorite Husband episodes sound framilar Reply with quote

And the amazing thing is that some of the scripts for My Favorite Husband were reworked into I Love Lucy scripts. Also, a lot of Lucy's creative people who worked with her on the radio program also worked with her on the TV program.
crich70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably part of it was the world was just coming out of WWII and people needed something to laugh at. Back in the 30's I understand people went to the movies for much the same reason. To get away from the real world for a short while. It's one of the reasons that the horror movie monsters were so popular. People just wanted to escape the real world for a little bit. And things seem to come in cycles. By the late 40's the monsters had descended to parody (i.e. Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein) and people were trying to get away from the real world horrors they had experienced and find relief in comedy. Plus it probably has to do with the mentality of the times as well. Now days we can make a long distance call like snapping our fingers for example so a misunderstanding that could be cleared up by making a call doesn't work, but back in the 40's it would still have been very expensive, and most long distance communication was via letter or telegram. So we think it's silly for them to have a misunderstanding when they could clear it up with a phone call, but back then it would have made perfect sense. in 1948 the minimum wage was just 40 cents an hour I can only imagine what the cost of a long distance call would be when for 8 hrs of work you earned $3.20.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Comedy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: