Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Title of show is listed incorrectly I think

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barnkeeper

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Title of show is listed incorrectly I think Reply with quote

I believe the title of the show should be listed as "The Man Called X" rather than "A Man Called X." I have looked at several other websites and only one lists it just as "MAN called X" and leaves off the article "The." John Dunning's book uses "The" in front. The folks at Internet Archive dot org are looking into changing their listing from "Man" or "A Man", to "The Man." The use of an article like "A" or "The" in front of a title may redirect the alphabetical order of a show's name. This is not a big deal, but we should post accurately whenever possible since this site is for users in many years to come. If it turns out that I am incorrect, I hope you'll let me know and cite the source.
Barnkeeper
crich70

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right Barnkeeper. Though some shows are harder to find due to such classification in Dunning's book I think. Superman is another case in point. Dunning lists it as "The adventures of Superman" rather than just "Superman." To a degree I think it's just personal preference though too. He does the same with Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade (The adventures of....). It may be more accurate (for the book) but a lot of people probably look under the character's name rather than Adventures of...X I think. Also not everyone has a copy of Mr. Dunning's book to hand and there is probably a bit of variation in what people think the title of a given program is. I read an article not long ago that addressed that problem for episode titles. A guy had ordered titles in the Amos and Andy program thinking they were 3 different episodes only to find that he had ordered 3 copies of the same episode. lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: