Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you listening to now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A monster in the woods, a riverboat and the Brooklyn Bridge:

MR KEEN, TRACER OF LOST PERSONS Feb 24, 1944 "The Case Of Murder In The Air"
Mr Keen, though popular in its day, seems a little quaint today. But this one certainly has plenty to keep you interested. Is the heroine going crazy, or is she really marked for murder? The truth will come out after a confrontation in the fog on the Brooklyn Bridge. (In fact this episode would be interesting to New Yorkers who could visualize the locations in the story and try to imagine how they must have changed since 1944).

NICK CARTER September 30, 1945 "Case of the Howling Horse"
The Master Detective goes upstate to investigate a curious report that someone has been killed by an equine monster that prowls the woods. Is it connected to the nearby estate of a wealthy recluse? No spoilers here, but if you're like me you'll be doing a bit of Googling after the final revelation. (No, I'd never heard of it either.)

LONE RANGER 05-07-42 "Steamboat on the River"
The Masked Man and Tonto are on the trail of a gang who want to sabotage the building of the transcontinental railroad. In particular, blowing up a shipload of explosives. Can the Lone Ranger's cunning and flair for disguise foil the plot? Three guesses.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUSPENSE 48-08-19 #303 "Crisis"
A very different sort of script. Martha Scott is a mother caring for an ailing baby. She has a vision of the future that awaits her son -- and realizes that he will grow up to be a charismatic sociopath. "I gave him life but I couldn't give him honor."

2000 PLUS May 3, 1950 "When The Worlds Met"
It's no X Minus One, but this wasn't as crude and melodramatic as I feared when I tuned in. In fact the theme reminds me a bit of the early chapters of Arthur C. Clarke's novel "Childhood's End" -- a spaceship from Mars arrives on earth, but will the aliens deem humanity worthy of meeting them or not? Luis van Rooten and Lon Clark star. Story by Judith and David Bublick.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance Band Show # 288
http://www.r2ok.co.uk/dancebandshow.htm

Great podcast that features 78rpm records of British dance bands, from 1928-1950 including Allan Selby, Roy Fox, Ambrose, Harry Roy, Nat Gonella, Edmundo Ros and more. Singers include Al Bowlly, Sam Bowne, Frances Day, Peter Williams, Julie Dawn and others.
Playlist page http://www.r2ok.co.uk/playlists.htm
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE WHISTLER Feb 3, 1947 "Seven Steps to Murder"

I haven't listened to the Whistler for a while and I'd forgotten how good some of them are. This one features a rivalry between two newspaper columnists that escalates until one of them decides to get rid of the other permanently. And what a cast -- Howard Duff, John Brown and William Johnstone. Script by Meyer Dolinsky. Sound quality good too.

INFORMATION PLEASE April 4, 1941

The programme that disproves the old saying "Nobody loves a know-it-all."
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/
DAMON RUNYON THEATER #26 “Baseball Hattie” 6/26/49 Syndicated.
Not the usual fare. A sports love story about a man gone wrong and a gal gone right.
If you tuned in late you might not realise this was a Damon Runyon story.

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (1941) #196-#201 "The Grayson Submarine"
A new submarine is trapped at the awesome depth of 350 feet! Nazi spies are to blame. Can Clark Kent track them down?
(NB: The plot is continued in the next story, the 12-part "Dr. Deutch and the Radium Mine")
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR KEEN, TRACER OF LOST PERSONS “The Case of the Absent Minded Professor,” first aired on CBS on March 15, 1945.
The old codger -- I mean the lovable old sleuth is called in when the wife of a professor dies in what seems a tragic accident. His (ahem) keen mind soon picks up a lead that helps him unmask a murderer. Ths show ran for nearly two decades and almost 1,700 episodes although a modern listener might be puzzled by its longevity.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELER April 11, 1950. (Mutual) "Operation Tomorrow"
There are a few science-fiction stories in this series. In this one, a scientist worried about the future sends his assistant into the 21st century, hoping to gather information that may help prevent wars and disasters. If you've read much on this subject, you may suspect it won't be that easy. Lon Janney stars.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE WHISTLER “Decision” 12/24/47 CBS
An eternal triangle with a medical slant. The doctor falls in love with the wife of his patient. When the patient dies the question is -- was it natural causes or did someone help him along, and if so who? Will that Hippocratic Oath framed in the doctor's office motivate him to do the right thing? Good production with trademark plot twists. Is that Cathy Lewis and Joseph Kearns?

SECRETS OF SCOTLAND YARD “The Galloping Major” 1950 Syndicated
Clive Brook introduces us to the true story of a former Army officer comfortably situated in the society of a small town in England in the 1920s. The only problem -- is he a murderer?
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local community radio station has a long-running show THEATRE ORGAN SHOWCASE that I always try to catch. Samples below.

(The January 2nd show came out all right, but there were some bad skips in the following week's show -- I've tried to fix these up so they won't be so obvious.)

http://1drv.ms/147VWmZ
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREEDOM USA "Embargo on Santa Granada” 3/30/52
This is apparently episode 15 of a syndicated drama produced by the Ziv company. Tyrone Power plays the hero, a U.S. Senator who gets into hot water while investigating the facts behind a South American revolution. Mildly interesting, but politicians seldom make for intereting protagonists.

TREASURY SALUTE “Jane Adams” 6/12/44 Syndicated
In 1931 she became the first American woman to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and is recognized as the founder of social work as a profession in the United States.

THAT WAS THE YEAR “1909” (1935 Syndicated) - quite interesting series of re-enactments.

QUICK AS A FLASH 3/16/47 MBS Unusual style of quiz show with dramatised segments.

YOU BET YOUR LIFE 10/19/49 CBS The one and only Groucho

FRONTIER GENTLEMAN “Beljoy’s Prisoner” 6/8/56 CBS
John Dehner has a whale of a time playing both the newspaperman hero and the enfeebled Sheriff Beljoy who rules a small town with a rod of iron.

BROADWAY IS MY BEAT The Ernie Cauldwell Murder Case from April 7, 1950.
The West Coast may have had Sgt Joe Friday but the East Coast had Larry Thor as Detective Danny Clover directed by Elliott Lewis and written by Morton Fine & David Friedkin. A class act.

LISTEN TO THE BAND 2015-01-08
Frank Renton celebrates 20 years of presenting this show on BBC Radio 2 by introducing Black Dyke the current champion brass band. Their show at the Royal Albert Hall included a big band set on The Volga Boatman, What a Wonderful World and Sing Sing Sing.

PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION PODCAST
Last week in Lake Wobegon, The Sons of Knute hosted their January gala, the flu came to town, and Eloise Krebsbach attempted to live a stress-free life by ridding her house of clutter. Good luck with that.

NBC THEATER 11-06-55 "Destination Mars"
Enjoyably old-school sci-fi about the first manned mission to Mars. The usual problems arise, which hero Dane Clark solves without delay. No credits on the AFRS version; I wonder who the writer was. It's not based on the Hugh Walters novel of the same name, I remember reading that as a youngster.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually keep a disc of podcasts in the car so I can listen while I'm driving. This is the one I had in the car last month:

01208TTYS Hallmark + Damon Runyon (Tuned to Yesterday podcast)
01209TTYS Front Line + Lum & Abner, Vic & Sade.mp3 24 MB
01210TTYS Secrets Scotland Yard + The Whistler.mp3 24 MB
01211TTYS Freedom USA + Treasury Salute.mp3 24 MB
01212TTYS Frontier Gentleman + Fort Laramie.mp3 24 MB
01213TTYS Inner Sanctum + Lights Out.mp3 24 MB
01213TTYS Quick as a flash + You bet your life.mp3 24 MB
CaseClosed400 Let George + Secrets Scotland Yard.mp3 40 MB
CaseClosed401 Broadway + Johnny Dollar.mp3 43 MB
LegacyOfLaughs380 Martin & Lewis 1949 billie burke.mp3 21 MB
Lost-OTR-Show-BulldogDrummond187 -CiscoKid236 mp3 143 MB
RelicRadio397 Arch Oboler + CBS Workshop.mp3 43 MB
RelicRadio398 Whistler + Bold Venture.mp3 41 MB
RTC_Nov24 - A&C - Mel Blanc - Jack Benny.mp3 38 MB
StrangeTales254 Mysterious Traveler 1948 man who vanished.mp3 22 MB
TheHorror661 Lights Out 1943 murder castle.mp3 19 MB
Thriller346 Lux 1949 street with no name.mp3 44 MB
ZZZ Prelude and Action.mp3 3 MB (end theme)

Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BULLDOG DRUMMOND #187 "Venus"
Drummond and Denny take a look through a telescope and see not the planet Venus, but the body of a woman hanging from the flagpole of an office building. The motive for the murder harks back to the days of the wild west, we discover at the end.

CISCO KID #236 "Fifty Thousand Reasons"
An aging bank robber who wants to go straight is a magnet for all sorts of people, from the good (Cisco) to the bad (a sultry-voiced outlaw) and the ugly (her henchmen). Entertaining western hi-jinks.

MARTIN & LEWIS (1949) "The Night Club"
Dean and Jerry take on an ill-advised project to start their own night club, only to find the property they think they've bought belongs to Hollywood star Billie Burke. Some nice gags and Burke has a chance to plug her autobiography.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLONDIE Program #2 11-6-39 Mr Dithers wants to use Dagwood and Blondie as window dressing in a display home for newlyweds. This show ran from 1939-1950 but I hadn't listened to it before; I haven't seen any of the 28 movies either. But it's really quite funny.

CISCO KID Program #20. Mutual. "The Cisco Kid and The Larabee Land Grab". Two swindlers try to fleece the ranchers whose land is leased from the railroad. Cisco and Pancho find themselves in jail, accused of murder. Listen for the scene where one of the swindlers asks Cisco and Pancho to carry his bags!

SCREEN DIRECTORS PLAYHOUSE “The Paleface” 3/3/50 NBC
Bob Hope and Jane Russel reprise their screen roles, but to less effect than on the screen. Lack of visuals and a 30-minute running time handicap this adaptation, though the final ad for those newfangled 45rpm records is interesting.

BIOGRAPHIES IN SOUND “The Wonderful World of Robert Benchley” 5/8/56 NBC
Affecting tribute to Benchley, once a celebrated humorist in Hollywood and the pages of the New Yorker, but probably barely a name to recent generations.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUNSMOKE (1952)
Matt almost gets bushwacked while hunting, and ends up having to quash a vendetta between some hardbitten settlers who live in a harsh land and have little time for diplomacy and negotiation. Some remarkably enthusiastic commercial for L&M Cigarettes.

THIS IS YOUR FBI (1945)
One of their more light-hearted episodes, but hey even chicken farmers deserve the protection of the G-Men when there's a mother-and-son duo of confidence tricksters on the loose.

ABBOTT & COSTELLO (1944)
Lou visits his old alma mater, PS 15 in Patterson N.J. A few chuckles but the scripts were getting a little threadbare by this stage.

FIBBER McGEE (1942)
Fibber is at a loss when a box of candy is delivered to Molly on Valentine's Day. She assumes it's from him and he doesn't know what to say. T'aint funny McGee? On the contrary.

AMOS & ANDY (1944)
Andy wants to romance an heiress so he gets a job as Charles Boyer's valet, hoping some poise and sophistication will rub off on him. "So long as some of Andy doesn't rub off on Charles Boyer", says one of the others. (A confession: this is actually the first episode of Amos & Andry I have ever listened to!)

ALDRICH FAMILY (1943)
A simple plan to arrange a party spirals out of control for Henry Aldrich and friends, piling complication on complication to an almost Wodehousian degree. I've only heard a couple of these, but they've been very funny.

NICK CARTER 47-09-07 "Bearded Queen"
When Nick comes to the aid of a young protege arrested for car theft, he doesn't expect to be involved in a deadly shoot-out in a secret garage. Just as well he has Patsy with him.

PHILIP MARLOWE (1949) "Bum's Rush"
A phone call from a distressed aunt sends Marlowe on the trail of a wastrel who has vanished from sight. Is this something to do with a visiting businessman from Canada?

QUIET PLEASE 1949-01-30 "Northern Lights"
A prototype time machine that only works when the Aurora Borealis is visible? I've heard a few episodes of this show and they are all
(a) well written, and
(b) completely different to each other.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAVORITE STORY 1947-05-13 "The Debt Collector"
Rewrite of an obscure French story, in which a man with a boring office job decides to help himself to $43,000 even though he knows he will be caught. This would have fitted in well over at The Whistler.

GREEN HORNET 1952-10-03 "The Spy Master"
Some of the Hornet's cases tend to be a bit on the dull side, especially the ones about white-collar crime and graft, but you can't describe this one that way: a man shot dead in Reid's office was being used as the scapegoat for a spy ring. Full of zing.

X MINUS ONE 1955-04-24 "No Contact"
Unlike most of their shows, this is an original script rather than an adaptation of a short story, and it shows. This story of stern-voiced spaceship commanders and alien infiltrators would have been right at home in a 1950s comic book. Previously aired on Dimension X, this was the first episode of the X Minus One run.

THEATRE FIVE 1965-03-29 "The Avenger"
Two NYPD cops come up against a unique case - a man who prays people to death on behalf of those on "the other side." Kudos to the actor who makes the killer sound so believable and sincere.

SAD SACK 1946-06-13 episode one
I used to read the comic book many years ago, but this is the only episode of the radio show I've heard. Our protagonist comes out of the army and decides to catch up with the girl he left behind. Amusing, though it's a bit odd that he doesn't seem to have a name apart from Sad Sack.

X MINUS ONE "Cold Equations" 8/25/55 NBC
Tom Godwin's classic SF story comes to the radio intact, although some producers might have preferred to soft-peddle the tragic aspects of the plot.

BEYOND TOMORROW "Requiem" 4/5/50 CBS.
Everett Sloane gives a moving performance as the rich old man whose ambition is to die on the moon. Based on a story by Robert Heinlein. I don't know if there was a series, or if this was an audition show. It's very good though.

YOURS TRULY JOHNNY DOLLAR "The Hand of Providential Matter" 11/1/59 CBS
Johnny runs up against an unprecedented problem - a phoney insurance company - and also gets one heck of a beating. Something a bit different for our favorite insurance investigator.

ELLERY QUEEN "The Three Frogs" 4/29/48 ABC.
Back in the 1940s there was growing unease about juvenile delinquents. Both Ellery and Nick Carter solved cases in which an adult mastermind used troubled teenagers as pawns, which was probably the simplest way to present the phenomenon to a mass audience.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW 4/5/45 NBC.
A&C are in fine form tonight, planning to visit the Andrews Sisters' ranch. This leads into the "U Drive" routine and to them being offered a cut-price singing trio who call themselves the Andrew Brothers!
Will Osborne's band plays "My Dreams Are Getting Better All The Time" and Connie Haines sings "I'm Beginning To See The Light".

CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT Monday March 11, 1940 episode 1 - Aunt Mary's New Tooth
Charming little show that features music and believe-it-or-not style anecdotes.
A 15-minute show broadcast three times a week in 1940. Sound quality surprisingly good.

MR KEEN, TRACER OF LOST PERSONS :"Yellow Talon Murder Case" 1949-09-22
This show was on the air from 1937 to 1955, but modern audiences may wonder why.
Mr Keen and his Irish sidekick solve the crime but they're no Holmes & Watson.

ALAN YOUNG SHOW "The Winter Lodge" 12/4/45 ABC
The lovable but blundering Canadian comedian takes a job at snowbound Lake Placid despite his inability to stand the cold. This leads to him almost losing his girlfriend into the bargain.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW OF FU MANCHU.
Final episode of the first season, #39 from Aug 04, 1939 “Six Gates of Joyful Wisdom” aka “The Sword of Samurai.”
This is fairly accurate in adapting Sax Rohmer's melodramas... which means that in this story Smith is threatened with a torture method that's pretty gruesome for 1939. At the end of this show, Dr Fu Manchu is presumed dead, but I suspect the world shall hear of him again!

CAN YOU TOP THIS - a panel of jokesters try to beat the laugh-meter score of listener-submitted jokes. First subject: “Hats” on this show from May 14, 1948. The cast are enthusiastic but the jokes are variable.

DANGEROUS ASSIGNMENT 6/24/53 NBC
There's a caravan leaving Damascus tonight ... and one of the Arabs is actually secret agent Steve Mitchell (Brian Donlevy) on the trail of an American traitor. I think Ben Wright and Paul Frees show up along the way. I like these shows because they take advantage of the radio format -- instead of having the showdown in a saloon on the east side, there's a gunfight in a ruined temple in the Syrian desert.

BARRIE CRAIG, CONFIDENTIAL INVESTIGATOR. “Murder by Threes” NBC Oct 01, 1952.
It’s a cooking contest, but one of the contestants winds up murdered! Produced by Himan Brown, it stars William Gargan, with Barbara Weeks and that's Don Pardo announcing. (Gargan may be the only actor to play a P.I. who was once employed by a detective agency!)

ESCAPE "The Ambassador of Poker" 4/7/50 CBS.
"Tonight we escape to the interior of China, and the story of a gentleman gambler from Virginia, matching wits with a murderous warlord, whose word can mean life, or death..." Another good script, based on the 1944 short story of the same name by Achmed Abdullah (the pen-name of a Russian writer who was a distant cousin of the Czar!) Elliott Reed stars.

BOSTON BLACKIE "Blackie jilts Mary" July 2nd 1945 program #13
Our hero breaks up with Mary so she won't be in danger from a gang of bank robbers he's trailing. Inspector Faraday has a nice scene at the end.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENE AUTRY MELODY RANCH 1949-01-01
Never heard this one before. Not only does it have a guest spot with Jack Benny (plugging his new Sunday night show) but there's a fascinating piece about the Baron of Arizona, a famous Wild West con man. (Later a movie starring Vincent Price - who knew?)

PHIL HARRIS & ALICE FAYE "Mother's Day" 5/8/49 NBC
Plenty of laughs here. Phil (and Remley) go shopping for a Mother's Day present and wind up in jail not once but twice!
Phil & Alice sing "Baby it's cold outside."
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMAGINATION THEATRE WEEK 993 -

PHOENIX RISING - Lack Of Evidence

Episode 4 of "Phoenix Rising." It's a case of he said, he said as Dena Rising and her partner Ross Duarte investigate the murder of a brand new lottery winner.(NEW)

KINCAID, THE STRANGESEEKER - The Final Chapter

No ghosts or goblins this time for Kincaid, just a good old-fashioned case of murder and mystic music.

http://1drv.ms/1yb9Bbo
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCREEN DIRECTORS PLAYHOUSE "The Damned Don't Cry!" April 5, 1951 with Joan Crawford reprising her film role -- "When a girl wants mink and sable in a hurry, she can't afford to ask too many questions." Frank Lovejoy is good, but this is Crawford's show the whole way.

MAGNIFICENT MONTAGUE “4th of July Picnic” 6/30/51 NBC
Monty Wooley dislikes having to appear on radio as Uncle Goodheart, even before he hears that two listeners have won a contest to stay with him over the 4th of July holiday. The Southern couple make Phil Harris sound like Noel Coward!

MY FRIEND IRMA “Going to Hollywood” 1952 CBS / AFRS
The last show of the season sees Cathy & Irma setting off for California on their annual holiday but only getting as far as Las Vegas, pausing to plug the second movie based on the radio series.

ADVENTURES OF MAISIE 7/13/50
Ann Sothern wants a romantic evening with her man - two's company, three's a crowd, even in Brooklyn.

PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION April 27, 2013 from Lubbock, TX
Guests: The Flatlanders, Ashley Monroe, Travis Holley; lots of stuff about Buddy Holly including a chat with Peggy Sue Gerron (yes, THE Peggy Sue).
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRIME CLASSICS “Madeline Smith, Maid or Murderess…Which?” 1/20/54 CBS
The show takes its trademark slightly offbeat look at the famous case of a beautiful heiress charged with poisoning one of her suitors. The same case had inspired "Madeleine" (1950 film directed by David Lean).

IT'S A CRIME, MR COLLINS “The Lost Film” 1956 Syndicated
Holidaying in Manhattan, Mrs Collins witnesses a fatal accident and then discovers she is being followed. What does the stranger want? Why is the FBI involved? First one of this series I've heard and it's not too bad. Title is a bit of a spoiler.

PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION from the historic Town Hall in New York City, it was a live broadcast with special guests, women’s vocal ensemble Anonymous 4 with multi-instrumentalist Bruce Molsky, renegade songwriter Nellie McKay, and Bensonhurst harmonizers The DiGiallonardo Sisters. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman; pianist and musical director Richard Dworsky with The Dworsky New York Orchestra (Jeff Carney on bass, drummer Bernie Dresel, Richard Kriehn on mandolin and fiddle, and guitarist Chris Siebold); and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.

CAVALCADE OF AMERICA “Abraham Lincoln in the War Years” 2/13/40 NBC
A lot of talent here (Raymond Massey as Lincoln, Robert Sherwood adapting Carl Sandburg's book) but ultimately the material can't be contained in a 30-minute slot. Read the book.

ENCORE THEATER “White Angel” 7/9/46 CBS
A short-lived series focussing on medical subjects. In this one, Virginia Bruce has a go at playing Florence Nightingale and does a fairly good job. Story doesn't flinch when depicting the chauvinism and sexism that faced The Lady With The Lamp.

MOTHER'S BEST FLOUR 1951-01-08
First episode of the 15-minute show Hank Williams did in the 1950s. Three songs and some banter - "The Blind Child", "Blue Steel Blues" and "When God Dips His Love In My Heart".

LATTE LINGUISTS 2015-04-20 BBC
Radio 4 looks at the modern phenomenon of people who prefer to run their business not from an office but from the coffee shop on the corner. Who would have thought of that, once upon a time?

SEEING EAR THEATER #73 (1988?) "The Bigger One" by Gregory Benford.
Only about ten minutes long but this docu-drama carries quite a punch. Presented as a "War Of the Worlds" style radio news bulletin. Newsmen covering the aftermath of an earthquake in California find themselves fleeing for their lives when the ocean begins pouring into the low-lying desert areas - the ultimate flash flood.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X MINUS ONE 1956-02-01 "Cave of Night"

Back in 1954, science fiction writer James E. Gunn was speculating what could motivate the public into accepting space travel. He wrote the short story "The Cave of Night", hoping it might be published in Collier's Magazine, which had recently published a special issue by Wehrner Von Braun about space. In the end it appeared in the February 1955 issue of Galaxy Magazine and was dramatized on the radio program X Minus One.

When it was planned to make a television spin-off of X Minus One, the story was purchased for the pilot episode. This didn't eventuate, and the rights were sold to Desilu who changed the title to "Man in Orbit" (and changed the plot a little) for a 1959 episode of DESILU PLAYHOUSE.

When the first American in orbit, John Glenn, passed over Perth, Australia, in 1962 the town turned its lights on and off to signal him as he passed overhead. I had a sense of deja vu -- because I'd already seen that happen in this story. James E. Gunn later wrote: "Science-fiction writers get reputations as prophets. They aren't really in that business. Their intention is to write plausible scenarios about possible futures. Sometimes, by chance, one of them coincides with reality."
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAM SPADE “Sam and Psyche” 8/2/46 CBS,
An early episode (maybe the fourth of this show) and Howard Duff isn't quite as jokey as he was in later days. A psychiatrist is murdered and the reason may be somewhere in his files. Effective thud-and-blunder stuff.

NICK CARTER “The Alphabet Club” 7/22/45 AFRS
The master detective is asked to solve a make-believe murder as part of his initiation into an exclusive men's club, but ... well, you can probably guess the rest. Lon Clark as effective as usual as Nick.

QUIET PLEASE “The Pathetic Fallacy” 2/2/48 MBS
A scientist introduces his computer to the press, with unexpected results. A script about computers by Wyllis Cooper in 1948? Yes, and it's funny as well. The show's theme song is announced as being the second movement from the D Minor Symphony by Cesar Franck.

DIMENSION X “The Last Objective” 6/3/51 NBC
This has to be the most depressing story ever broadcast on this series. Spoiler: the human race is wiped out, then things take a turn for the worse. Egads! Hard to believe this is based on a story by Paul Carter that appeared in Astounding Stories in 1946.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE CREAKING DOOR “I See Ghosts”
This show was apparently an Australian-made sequel to Inner Sanctum; later episodes were made in South Africa. I think this is an Australian show circa 1958. The pulp fiction scripting may not be great literature but it zips along and holds your attention till the final curtain.

CREEPS BY NIGHT “The Hunt” 5/9/44 NBC Blue network
Always nice to hear Boris Karloff although I wouldn't have cast him as a reclusive loner living in the Bayou down in Louisiana. There's a "critter" stalking the district. "Tell me, sergeant, have you ever heard the word ... lycanthropy?"
MSF17

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning show was Family Theater. The episode was The Hound of Heaven. Razz
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSF17 wrote:
This morning show was Family Theater. The episode was The Hound of Heaven. Razz

Family Theater is a good show. I usually enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: