Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the deal with "Dark Shadows"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: What's the deal with "Dark Shadows" Reply with quote

I've listened to some of the 'Dark Shadows' episodes in the collection and enjoyed what I've heard so far, but I'm not sure what it is I'm actually listening to. Are these audio rips from the TV series or are they the more recent made-for-CD audio dramas that feature some of the original cast members? I've done a bit of research on the Web and as far as I can tell, there never was a radio version of this gothic soap opera.
simonmagus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's the deal with "Dark Shadows" Reply with quote

human wrote:
I've listened to some of the 'Dark Shadows' episodes in the collection and enjoyed what I've heard so far, but I'm not sure what it is I'm actually listening to. Are these audio rips from the TV series or are they the more recent made-for-CD audio dramas that feature some of the original cast members? I've done a bit of research on the Web and as far as I can tell, there never was a radio version of this gothic soap opera.

Wow! Where are those located? I am a huge DS fan. In fact I have my own fan fiction web site you might enjoy called "The Dark Shadows of Simon Magus". You can find it at http://simonmagus.multiply.com

Anyway I am new here and having trouble finding a lot of shows. I don't see Dark Shadows listed on my list of member's shows. Can you direct me? Once I hear them I can easily answer your question.

Thanks
Simon Magus
msimonmagus@aol.com
human

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they got taken down some time ago after being identified as being copyrighted material. They're available on another site called fearyoucanhear.com, but you need to pay for a monthly subscription to download shows there.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
I think they got taken down some time ago after being identified as being copyrighted material. They're available on another site called fearyoucanhear.com, but you need to pay for a monthly subscription to download shows there.

You are correct Human. Also, others have told me that they were audio rips of the old TV shows. Sometimes when I buy bit OTR collections on the Internet, they throw in stuff without checking it. I try to be careful before uploading but sometimes they slip by me and I have to take them down later if someone tells me they aren't public domain.

Brad
simonmagus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
human wrote:

You are correct Human. Also, others have told me that they were audio rips of the old TV shows. Sometimes when I buy bit OTR collections on the Internet, they throw in stuff without checking it. I try to be careful before uploading but sometimes they slip by me and I have to take them down later if someone tells me they aren't public domain.

Brad

Ok I heard them. They are apparently audio taken from the video tapes which are owned my MPI. The first one has a lot of narration that makes it sound like a radio play but that was because it was a summation of the first year of Dark Shadows in the pre-Barnabas Collins years. They wanted to begin the sale of the tapes with the releasing of Barnabas Collins from his coffin which took place in 1967. So they condensed the events of 1966 so that the story would make sense to those who had never seen it as they would be starting the story in progress.

Now recently MPI released an all new audio play starring the original cast called "Return to Collinwood" in 2003. Since then Big Finish Productions have released 4 more audio plays that are all still for sale.

Too bad you can't include them on the site, but they are not public domain. When I first read the mention of DS on this site I thought that was what was on here.

Ok OTR 4ever
Samuel Spulman
(author of "The Shadow of Simon Magus" www.amazon.com)
teger8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Dark Shadows movie to begin this spring. Reply with quote

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are set to go into production this spring for the new Dark Shadows movie. It should be in the theaters by next October. Johnny Depp will play the part of Barnabas Collins. I've heard the plot will revolve pretty much to the tv series that abc did in the sixties with Barnabas fighting multiple supernatural charactors. When I find out more about the cast and plot, I will post it to this site. Your friend in the dark, teger8.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teger8,

Welcome to the forum.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Horror All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: