Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Curious

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Just Curious Reply with quote

I think the OTR community is often like familly. Sometimes we learn from each other, sometimes we support each other, sometimes we just get to know each other. It makes the hobby more fun. So, I thought I would just throw out a question. Those of you who are not using your real name as your user name for the forum, what made you choose the user name you have?

I will start out the discussion by explaining my user name. It is really just a silly thing. The name Shirley is my first name. When I was in homemaking class in the eighth grade the girls in the class suddenly decided we would all go by our middle name. I didn't like my middle name, so I wouldn't say what it was. A bunch of people kept guessing and guessing. When they guessed Pearl it made me laugh. They took my laugh to mean they had guessed right, so I got called ShirleyPearl. For some reason, it stuck. Even at home and at church I was called ShirleyPearl. So, I just went with it. I believe there are some other interesting stories you have about your user name.

Shirley
hangman3364

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I wrote a novel about a vigilante who was killing mob bosses, crooked DA's etc by hanging them and the papers latched on to the title "Who is the Hangman?" (And yes, this was before the Tim Sale Batman book, for those who know)

So Hangman just became something I hang my hat on.

Daryl
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were one person I wondered about, Daryl. You seem like a nice guy and seeing someone hanging out on a tree didn't seem to fit. It makes sense now.

Thanks for sharing.

Shirley
hangman3364

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I wanted a picture of a hangman, perhaps holding a noose. I hunted and hunted the internet but never found anything that caught what I wanted. The avatar you see was a picture that caught my eye largely because of the colors and it shrinks down enough that it's still intelligible.

One day I need to rewrite The Hangman, since I lost it all in a hard drive crash a few years ago. (Don't ask...I try not to dwell on it)
arkie44

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked the name arkie because I'm from(you guessed it) Arkansas. My lovely wife and I have been married 44 years.
Richard
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl,
Those are pretty colors in that picture. I hope you can get your novel re-written. I know hard drive crashes don't have happy memories. I heard just one clap of thunder one day last July and the lights went out. My computer never turned on again. Sad

Richard,
I congratulate you and your wife on 44 years of marriage. My husband and I are babies, just 32 years.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply use my first name and the name of my home town. I couldn't believe it when someone got me on to Facebook and there were all those people I knew using their real names. Isn't there some sort of law against that??
ussmidway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know im late to the post, but what the hey.

Mine is probably obvious. I served on the USS Midway CV-41, from 1987-1990. She is decommissioned and serving as a museum in San Diego.
tflynn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing real exciting about my user name except it is my name Smile

My avatar on the other hand... Joined the RAAF as an apprentice at the rip old age of 15. As a joke, one of our minders started calling me Errol because of my surname. It stuck. After a couple of months most people had forgotten my real name and just called me Errol...

Terry
human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "human" as sort of an homage to my cousin Dargan, who passed away a few years ago. Not because he's dead, but because his brothers, who were about 10 years older than he, used to torment him when he was little by telling him he was "huuuuuuuuuuman" and tying him to the "human tree" in the back yard.

The story goes that one day when he was about four, he was walking across the street with his mom, my Aunt Monk (her name's another story), and one of Dargan's brothers' friends passed by them, said hello to Aunt Monk and then said "Hi, Human" and Dargan started screaming "I am not human!!!!!". Aunt Monk, not knowing the psychological damage her older sons had inflicted, leaned down, patted him on the head, and in her most comforting voice, said "But Dargan, you are human".

Anyway, Dargan and I were both kind of misunderstood by our respective families, so I've always sort of identified with him and thus use that as a handle. I tend to spell it with a lowercase 'h' to remind me to maintain some humility.
gilinaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GilinAZ. Mine is easy to figure out. My last name is Gilbert, and I'm in Arizona Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: