Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burning CD's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
purrcy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Burning CD's Reply with quote

I've been burning CDR's that I bought from CostCo and I have discovered that my CD's have a lot of errors. I asked the local computer geeks what I could do about it and they told me to use Imation CDR's. I don't get may errors now, but I'd like to get no errors while burning. Does anybody have any experience here that they could share with me?
ny2nc

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: errors Reply with quote

Hi, i've been burning cd's for almost 10 years now and have found a couple of tricks that work pretty well. Almost any blank will work but it's important not to have any other programs running in the background like your anti-virus or e-mail as they seem to cause interference. so when i'm going to burn cd's i' make certain i'm not connected to the internet and i disable my anti-virus (or put it on snooze, depending on which you use). another thing is to burn at a slower speed than the max which depending on the type of disc is 52x or 48x and i usually burn at 16x or 8x. that was a tip i got from the vendor of one of my burning programs. one other tip which isn't for the skipping part but for a more enjoyable listening is to use nero and activate the 'normalize' function. this will make the sound quality standard on a disc even when having more than one program on it, well within 5% or so anyhow. i'm not sure if other burning software has this feature, nero has been the only one i've seen with it.

Hope this is of some help, it comes from lots or trial and error, and the error part i've been particularly good at.
purrcy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

thank you ny2nc. I'm going to give it a try, today.
purrcy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Ashampoo Reply with quote

I've just spent two days trying to burn one CD with no success. I tried what you suggested, but nothing worked. So I call the local geeks again and they said to try another burn program. I downloaded several that verified the burn and came up with a program that is not only cheap, but very successful: Ashampoo. I've been using it for several days and it burns circles around the other competitors. If you use the simulate option it also finds the corrupted files before you waist a CDR.

I've also been looking at CDR's and I've decided to try CDPro CDR's the next time, although I'm quite happy with Imation. Has anybody tried them?
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ashampoo Reply with quote

purrcy wrote:
I've just spent two days trying to burn one CD with no success. I tried what you suggested, but nothing worked. So I call the local geeks again and they said to try another burn program. I downloaded several that verified the burn and came up with a program that is not only cheap, but very successful: Ashampoo. I've been using it for several days and it burns circles around the other competitors. If you use the simulate option it also finds the corrupted files before you waist a CDR.

I've also been looking at CDR's and I've decided to try CDPro CDR's the next time, although I'm quite happy with Imation. Has anybody tried them?

I use CD Burner XP. It works good and it's free.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Brad
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I have both CD Burner XP and Ashampoo Burn Ya! on my laptop. If one seems to have trouble, I just switch to the other one.

However, every so often you have a particular project that won't burn. I was trying to transfer a sermon from my local church to disc from cassette and so far I've made three coasters trying to burn the WAV file onto an audio CD.

I've done this before without trouble, but this time round it's just being a lot more work than usual. Why? Who knows?
gilinaz

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember once, I was burning a DVD, using Nero. I got the infamous "end of disk" error. I then switched to a lower burning speed, and it solved the problem. Now, I always burn at a slower speed. If I use a 16x DVD, I cut it down to about 8x. What causes the "end of disk" error, anyway?
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slower seems to be better. I always throttle back to one of the lower speed options.
purrcy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: burning cd's Reply with quote

I just tried cdburnerxp and got errors, even at slower speeds. Ashampoo seems to work fine for me.
human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want top-notch archival quality discs, go with Taiyo-Yuden or Mitsui. They're a bit spendy, but they have a reputation for accurate burns and good longevity.

I'm going through a spindle of Sonys right now that are the worst I've ever had for burning "coasters". Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.

I'm a Mac user, but I don't burn discs in iTunes. I prefer Roxio Toast Titanium.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with Memorex CDs.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: