Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventures of Frank Merriwell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Adventures of Frank Merriwell Reply with quote

I had 20 of these shows and couldn't find anymore. Today I was poking around the Internet and found a set of 39 of them. Very Happy

I uploaded them to the members directory today.

This is a favorite of mine. If anyone knows where to get more of these, please let me know.

"Chief O'Hara... This might be a job for Catman" batman

Thanks,

Brad
hangman3364

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the titles I've seen but never listened to before but I'll definitely give it a shot. I've had a pretty good streak trying out new series lately...hopefully this will continue it!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hangman3364 wrote:
This is one of the titles I've seen but never listened to before but I'll definitely give it a shot. I've had a pretty good streak trying out new series lately...hopefully this will continue it!

It's about a group of college kids who solve mysteries. Kind of like the Hardy Boys. I guess I like it because it reminds me of my love of mystery stories when I was a kid.

Here are some details about the shows:

--------
Merriwell originally appeared in a series of magazine stories starting April 18, 1896 ("Frank Merriwell: or, First Days at Fardale") in Tip Top Weekly, continuing through 1912, and later in dime novels and comic books. Patten would confine himself to a hotel room for a week to write an entire story.

The Frank Merriwell comic strip began in 1928, continuing until 1936. Daily strips from 1934 provided illustrations for the 1937 Big Little Book.

The Adventures of Frank Merriwell first ran on NBC radio from March 26 to June 22, 1934 as a 15-minute serial airing three times a week at 5:30pm. Sponsored by Dr. West's Toothpaste, this program starred Donald Briggs in the title role. Harlow Wilcox was the announcer.

After a 12-year gap, the series returned October 5, 1946 as a 30-minute NBC Saturday morning show, continuing until June 4, 1949. Lawson Zerbe starred as Merriwell, Jean Gillespie and Elaine Rostas as Inza Burrage, Harold Studer as Bart Hodge and Patricia Hosley as Elsie Belwood. The announcer was Harlow Wilcox, and the Paul Taubman Orchestra supplied the background music.

------
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Brad
catfreak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can ascertain, there are only 40 episodes in circulation . .

Here's the one that you're missing:

Adventures of Frank Merriwell 1948.07.10 (093) The Mystery Of The Millionaire's Yacht
    http://mihd.net/qom14i

And one correction:
    Fm_34-xx-xx-Frank_Confesses_In_the_Dark.mp3
    . . . is . . .
    Adventures of Frank Merriwell 1933.08.07 Frank Confesses In The Dark (Bk)

V.....

at 9:05am on Jan 27th, my buddy left me
                 R.I.P. my loving friend
A righteous man regards the life of his animal
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a couple of these and they were quaint even in 1948. It's sort of like Archie Andrews meets the Hardy Boys.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfreak wrote:
    As far as I can ascertain, there are only 40 episodes in circulation . .

Here's the one that you're missing:

Adventures of Frank Merriwell 1948.07.10 (093) The Mystery Of The Millionaire's Yacht
    http://mihd.net/qom14i

And one correction:
    Fm_34-xx-xx-Frank_Confesses_In_the_Dark.mp3
    . . . is . . .
    Adventures of Frank Merriwell 1933.08.07 Frank Confesses In The Dark (Bk)

V.....

Thanks Victor Very Happy

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Hobart wrote:
I've heard a couple of these and they were quaint even in 1948. It's sort of like Archie Andrews meets the Hardy Boys.

Maybe that's why I like them so much. When I was a little kid, I sent in the 50 cents to be a member of the "Archie Fan Club". Got the button and the ID card and all that. Laughing

I used to read Archie to my kids when they were little. Also had tons of Hardy Boys books. Used to read them all the time.

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Archie Andrews and the Hardy Boys, so I will probably enjoy it very much Exclamation I have downloaded them. Now, I will get started listening. Parp / fart
Thanks, Brad.
Shirley
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Archie Reply with quote

Yeah, got to admit I read all the Archie comics when I was in school. Never missed an issue.

The ones I remember fondly were the reprints of the DC superhero and science-fiction titles. You can read about that here:
http://tasmanian.blogspot.com/2008/02/american-comics-down-under.html
boston blackie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started to listen to the Frank Merrywell adventures. They are starting to grow on me. Will listen to them all now.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boston blackie wrote:
Just started to listen to the Frank Merrywell adventures. They are starting to grow on me. Will listen to them all now.

Good clean fun! Makes you feel good to listen to honest and simple times.

Brad
boston blackie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad you are right. I think it is the simple times that makes it appealing.
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what makes the OTR programs in general so much fun is that they are very much like the old Storyteller that our ancestors used to listen to on cold winter nights. Way back when there were no mass printed books or people who could read them and so for entertainment they had the Storyteller recount tales of all sorts and OTR does much the same thing.
human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I was living in an old house, probably built in the 1920s or earlier. The living room was very small and there wasn't a really good place to put the TV, except in front of the (non-working) fireplace. One day, while I was watching TV, it suddenly dawned on me that the fireplace was the perfect spot for the TV, because watching the tube had replaced telling stories around the fire. In our modern culture, we sit mesmerized in front of the screen, much as our ancestors gazed into the flames as they entertained each other with stories and songs.

crich70 wrote:
I think what makes the OTR programs in general so much fun is that they are very much like the old Storyteller that our ancestors used to listen to on cold winter nights. Way back when there were no mass printed books or people who could read them and so for entertainment they had the Storyteller recount tales of all sorts and OTR does much the same thing.
flores.diane02@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boston blackie wrote:
Brad you are right. I think it is the simple times that makes it appealing.

i agree with you 101%
variety & music
crich70

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good point Human and of course the Radio forms a perfect bridge between them because before people sat in front of the tv mesmerized by the stories it can bring to us and after the time of the storyteller next to the fireplace (and before that the open hearth) people would gather round their radio's to learn what was going to happen next to (insert character or show). We are very much creatures of habit and so though some details change the actions themselves remain the same.

human wrote:
A few years ago, I was living in an old house, probably built in the 1920s or earlier. The living room was very small and there wasn't a really good place to put the TV, except in front of the (non-working) fireplace. One day, while I was watching TV, it suddenly dawned on me that the fireplace was the perfect spot for the TV, because watching the tube had replaced telling stories around the fire. In our modern culture, we sit mesmerized in front of the screen, much as our ancestors gazed into the flames as they entertained each other with stories and songs.

crich70 wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Adventure All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: