Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you listening to now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE WITCH'S TALE "Rockabye Baby" 7/25/32 MBS
Ingenious plotting from Alonzo Dean Cole about intrigue involving a haunted house.
HALL OF FANTASY "Man Sized in Marble" 4/10/47 CBS.
When you live in a haunted house and your domestic staff quite the day before Halloween, maybe it's time to start worrying. Based on a story by E. Nesbit (The Railway Children).
(Tuned to Yesterday podcast #1532)

SUSPENSE The Black Curtain. December 2, 1943.
Cary Grant battles amnesia in a Cornell Woolrich story; gripping stuff indeed.
ESCAPE Robert Of Huntingdon, October 26, 1952.
The Gunsmoke team give us a quite tolerable story about Robin Hood. (Relic Radio podcast #473)

JOHN STEELE, ADVENTURER The Sixth Bullet, January 30, 1951.
They say life begins at forty, but for Harry it's a time of dissatisfaction. Could things be worse? Well, yes they could. He could find himself trapped in a wrecked car with a loaded revolver next to him.
THIS IS THE STORY late 1940’s titled, Brave Men.
A moving tribute to the great war correspondent Ernie Pyle. (Relic Radio podcast #474)

HIGH ADVENTURE from May 7, 1950, titled, Wild Pitch.
I hadn't actually thought about baseball as a topic for a show like this, but the script manages to crank up a fair bit of drama, though the subtleties of the sport go over the heads of those who've never seen a game of baseball.
THE KEY The Window Cleaner 1956.
Being a window cleaner on a tall building would be nerve-wracking enough for most of us, without having to cope with a murder committed in one of the apartments. (Relic Radio podcast #475)

JACK BENNY 1944-09-30 season premiere
It's a new year for Jack, and he's flummoxed enough by Daylight Saving Time without having to worry about the three new charactrers on the show (the two switchboard operators and his press agent). Good fun as always.
''
YORKSHIRE BRASS (BBC Radio Leeds)
Two hours of brass band music -- torture for some, delightful for others. Includes the full 18 minute version of "Lord of the Dance".

I'VE NEVER SEEN STAR WARS s06 e06
The BBC's Marcus Brigstocke persuades a guest to try new experiences: things they really ought to have done by now. Some experiences are loved, some are loathed, in this show all about embracing the new. This week, Gyles Brandreth is persuaded to spend a day doing absolutely nothing, and writes his first ever pop song after meeting Myley Cyrus.

SOMETHING TO SHOUT ABOUT (BBC 1960-07-05) episode 1
Oh wow, I used to listen to this when I was about 12 years old -- a sitcom about an advertising agency. Not as funny 50 years later, but it has a certain quaint charm. (Somebody must have liked it, they made 54 episodes.)
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week on the MP3 player:

A.F.N. Paris 1945 - Nero Wolfe 1951 - Nightbeat 1950 - Bing Crosby 1943 - Inner Sanctum 1952 - A Life In Your Hands 1949 - Honest Harold 1950 - Green Hornet 1944.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working my way through some episodes of the Radio Theater Channel podcast:

RTC_February01 Black Museum - Green Hornet - Great Gildersleeve.mp3 36 MB
RTC_February08 Nero Wolfe - Nightbeat 1950 - Bing Crosby 1943.mp3 43 MB
RTC_February15 Inner Sanctum - 1952 - A Life In Your Hands 1949 - Honest Harold 1950.mp3 40 MB
RTC_January04 Green Hornet - Cloak and Dagger - Joan Davis.mp3 42 MB
RTC_January11 Dragnet - Escape - Gunsmoke.mp3 40 MB
RTC_January18 Lux Radio Theater 1949 - High Adventure 1977.mp3 41 MB
RTC_January25 The Saint - Old Gold Radio Theater - Frontier Gentleman.mp3 40 MB

http://ren.podbean.com/
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit behind with my podcasts, but I am listening in the car and hope to catch up one day.

The Relic Radio Show #470 brought us THE TEXTRON THEATRE production of Angel Street. That story aired December 8, 1945. The Textron people obviously had deep pockets -- the cast for this tolerable adaptation of GASLIGHT includes Helen Hayes, Boris Karloff and Sir Cedric Hardwicke!
After that, it’s Lucille Ball in Numerology, an amusing episode of MY FAVORITE HUSBAND that aired May 14, 1950. Can Lucy's numerology book trump their landlord's Ouija Board and stop him raising their rent.

Then on episode #471 of the Relic Radio Show, THEATER FIVE starts us of with To Whom It May Concern, a story first heard September 11, 1964. Then, it’s The Dark Room from THE WHISTLER. That episode originally aired March 24, 1948. Interesting that the THEATER FIVE story about wiretapping and bugging dates from the 1960s, not as i first thought from the 1970s — I had imagined it was an allegory inspired by the Nixon years, but no so it seems. As for THE WHISTLER, it amazes me that the writers for the show had to think up more surprise twists than O. Henry in his prime, but they are seldom obvious or predictable (not by me anyway).
angelranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secrets of Scotland Yard- I like the British shows since most are unfamiliar both in dialogue, setting and topics.

2 shows now: General Charles Leward and Crime on the Railway. Good stuff
though quality can vary, somewhat warbly at times.

I return to Gielgud and Richardson's versions of Sherlock Holmes most often when it's time to relax. Great versions of the classic tales.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: