Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you a collector or a listener?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you a collector or a listener?
Collector
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Listener
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Both
88%
 88%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 17

Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Are you a collector or a listener? Reply with quote

OK folks, time to spill the beans. Are you a collector of OTR shows or a listener or a little of both. I know that people will collect anything. Little thimbles from everywhere they've ever been, little spoons, Old glass, rocks and shells, hats, tee shirts or whatever.

Are you a collector of shows or a listener?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to 'fess up and say both. I do listen every single day for probably at least two hours. Also, all night long the cd player is playing, even though I doubt my husband and I really understand much about the shows during the night. I also really like the music shows and often have them playing in the background during the day when I can't really pay attention to a story.

But, I do have many more shows than I will probably ever hear and I keep downloading.

Shirley
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirleypearl wrote:
I will have to 'fess up and say both. I do listen every single day for probably at least two hours. Also, all night long the cd player is playing, even though I doubt my husband and I really understand much about the shows during the night. I also really like the music shows and often have them playing in the background during the day when I can't really pay attention to a story.

But, I do have many more shows than I will probably ever hear and I keep downloading.

Shirley

Shirley,

It's so nice that you and your husband share a hobby. That's a very rare thing now-a-days. Good for you! Very Happy

Brad
catfreak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until very recently, I'd make 4 or 5 trips from the Indianapolis area to San Diego. I'd always listen to OTR when I drove. I also always took a different route just to keep my interest.

Usually, I'll listen to an entire series. Right now, I'm listening to Dragnet for the third time . . .

Victor

at 9:05am on Jan 27th, my buddy left me
                 R.I.P. my loving friend
A righteous man regards the life of his animal
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to go to work every day, I spent 3 and a half hours on the road every day (Thank God I'm retired now) Very Happy .

It sounds crazy, but I live in a small village but our library has the biggest collection of books on tapes I've ever seen.

I spent many hours listening to Dean Koontz and other good mystery shows while stuck in Chicago traffic. I didn't have the iPod then and all of the great OTR shows with me but it was pretty cool.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfreak wrote:
    Until very recently, I'd make 4 or 5 trips from the Indianapolis area to San Diego. I'd always listen to OTR when I drove. I also always took a different route just to keep my interest.

Usually, I'll listen to an entire series. Right now, I'm listening to Dragnet for the third time . . .

Victor

Victor,

Indy to San Diego? My God, Man. Why would you want to do that? The last time I was in CA my eyes burned so bad from the smog I could hardly see. And that was 17 years ago! Shocked

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Brad Makes an Ass of Himself in California Reply with quote

OK, I'll tell you a little story about myself. Right before I got married (16 years ago). I went on a cross country trip to California from Illinois. Now, I'm a small town boy at heart so I didn't expect all of the...

OK, I forgot where I was going with this. I'll pick it up later if I can remember. I think this is that "one" story where I got drunk and made a big ass of myself. I'll try to remember it for next time.

Brad
catfreak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived and worked in San Diego County (Lakeside) for over 25 years . . .

My 30 year old son and his family live there

Every time I go there, I expect to see God . . after all he can live anywhere he wants . . and there's no place better . . .

I still do work with Project Wildlife which is in San Diego . . .

R.I.P. my loving friend
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: both Reply with quote

Well, I collect the shows because I want to listen to them, so that makes me a listener.

But I already have more shows than I could listen to, so I guess that makes me a collector!
Adeny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a collection of shows, but I wouldn't call myself a collector, more of a listener. Sometimes 6+ hours a day. (I can listen to my iPod at work)

I am thinking about getting an external hard drive to start keeping shows on because neither my laptop or desktop can hold very much.

**My Journal**
catfreak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeny wrote:
. . . I am thinking about getting an external hard drive to start keeping shows on because neither my laptop or desktop can hold very much.
    You can always burn them to a disc(s) . . .

Victor

R.I.P. my loving friend
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeny wrote:
I have a collection of shows, but I wouldn't call myself a collector, more of a listener. Sometimes 6+ hours a day. (I can listen to my iPod at work)

I am thinking about getting an external hard drive to start keeping shows on because neither my laptop or desktop can hold very much.

Adeny,

I found some good external drives at "Best Buy". Not sure if you have one by you but most likely as they are all over the place.

USB hookup, 300 GB, not too expensive. Just right for your OTR shows.
I also got a network attached storage device there. Hooks right up to your local network at home. I've got mine plugged into my Linksys wireless router. You can also plug in an extra USB drive to it for more storage. If you need help picking one out, let me know. I'd be glad to help you.

I used to work in an IT dept. at an insurance company and took care of the network, servers and desktops for over 10 years before I went completely crazy and had to quit because of the stress. Now it's just a hobby. Very Happy

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeny wrote:

Adeny,

Wow, you get to listen to your ipod all day at work. You must have a pretty good job! Most places wouldn't let you do that. Good for you! Very Happy

Brad
Adeny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad wrote:

Adeny,

Wow, you get to listen to your ipod all day at work. You must have a pretty good job! Most places wouldn't let you do that. Good for you! Very Happy

Brad

I am a file clerk, I sit in front of a computer and scan mortgage files all day long. As long as I am paying attention to the screen, they do not mind.

**My Journal**
majorshaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do both. and yes I have more than I could ever listen to. and yes I still search for more.
gilinaz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad...I would say I am more of a collector than a listener...although, I do listen to some...occasionally. I have so many DVDs burned, I'm running out of room Very Happy. My wife keeps asking me...."When you go (pass on) what are you going to do with all of these...I mean, who would want them??"

I recently purchased an external burner (from Best Buy)...made by L.G.. I got it because I am involved in several distros, and needed a fast way to get the disks copied. I can copy from one DVD to another in about 4 minutes. The same goes with burning files to a DVD. I think the latter is because I upgraded my RAM to 2 gbs Very Happy
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilinaz wrote:
Brad...I would say I am more of a collector than a listener...although, I do listen to some...occasionally. I have so many DVDs burned, I'm running out of room Very Happy. My wife keeps asking me...."When you go (pass on) what are you going to do with all of these...I mean, who would want them??"

I recently purchased an external burner (from Best Buy)...made by L.G.. I got it because I am involved in several distros, and needed a fast way to get the disks copied. I can copy from one DVD to another in about 4 minutes. The same goes with burning files to a DVD. I think the latter is because I upgraded my RAM to 2 gbs Very Happy

4 minutes is pretty darned fast. Nice setup.

Brad
catfreak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you slow the burning process down, you'll get fewer PI & PO errors with the burn . . resulting in a better archival copy . . .

I never burn any faster than half the rated speed of my media . .

IE - - 16x DVDs at 8x and I never burn CDs any faster than 16x regardless of the rated speed

I have a Samsung burner that will burn my 16x Verbatim DVDs at 20x but I resist . . after all, I'm not racing . . and I want to be able to create the absolute best possible copies of my materials . . .

My background in burning DVDs & CDs is well over 10,000 discs burned . . consisting of videos (movies), audio (tons of .mp3 and CDs) as well as the footage of every single surgery (and basically every time I've come in contact with) I've ever performed on various exotic cats over the years for liability purposes . . . Keeping excellent records has saved my rear end in several court liability cases . . .

V.....

R.I.P. my loving friend
gilinaz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor...well, I'm using Nero burning software...but can't seem to find the place to change my speed...or, it won't give me a choice of anything else. Do you know how to access this? My blank DVDs are 16x.
human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to listen, but I tend to accumulate them faster than I can play them. I love it when I bet into a situation where I can listen for long periods at a time and not feel guilty doing it.

I had a job editing technical documentation a few years ago, it was pretty mindless work. Copy the text from the old documentation, paste it into the new template, and apply the new SGML formatting tags. I found my co-workers' chit-chatting distracting and found I could work more efficiently with headphones on, so I would listen to books on tape while I worked.

A few years later, I was dating a girl in Kentucky and listened to them while driving between North Carolina and Kentucky. I also began reconnecting with OTR during that same time period as I started finding downloadable collections on the Web.

Last spring, when I was teaching at a community college, I had a two-hour break between classes. It wasn't long enough to warrant going home, but I carried my mp3 player in my briefcase and enjoyed passing that time by listening to OTR shows I've accumulated from various online sources.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take my ipod with me when I thought I might have some time to listen to some shows. But sometimes you get stuck waiting somewhere and you might not have your player with you.

I recently got a Blackberry phone. I just keep some of my favorite shows on it's memory card. I always have my phone with me so now I never get stuck without my OTR shows.

Brad
Smile
tflynn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
I used to take my ipod with me when I thought I might have some time to listen to some shows. But sometimes you get stuck waiting somewhere and you might not have your player with you.

I recently got a Blackberry phone. I just keep some of my favorite shows on it's memory card. I always have my phone with me so now I never get stuck without my OTR shows.

Brad
Smile

I gave up my iPod for my PDA/Phone as well. Have a 4GB memory card and bluetooth stereo headphones. Cannot keep as many shows with me as my 30GB iPod, but that has not turned out to be a problem...

I have a love/hate relationship with my phone... Its great and can do everything (MP3, AVIs, Ebooks, etc, etc) but if you have the screen on you get 1hr tops before battery goes flat Sad

Terry
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tflynn wrote:
Brad wrote:

Brad
Smile

I gave up my iPod for my PDA/Phone as well. Have a 4GB memory card and bluetooth stereo headphones. Cannot keep as many shows with me as my 30GB iPod, but that has not turned out to be a problem...

I have a love/hate relationship with my phone... Its great and can do everything (MP3, AVIs, Ebooks, etc, etc) but if you have the screen on you get 1hr tops before battery goes flat Sad

Terry

Terry,

That's a cool phone. Too bad about the short battery life. How long does it run if you're just listening to OTR shows?

Brad
tflynn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
How long does it run if you're just listening to OTR shows?

Brad

Brad,

That the good part. Without the screen its lasts for hours.

My son has a similar one. I woke him up one morning and noticed he fell asleep listening to some shows. Been running all night and still going strong.

Trouble is it is my phone and very useful for so many other things its impossible to leave the screen off.

Terry
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit of both. I have found some at other places online and often listen to them. Even have some downloaded to my little mp3 player so I can listen while on the go (while also paying attention to the world round me of course. Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: