Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your favorite mystery show?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crich70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that E.G. Marshall just has that something special in his voice when he says, "Come in." CBSRMT was the 1st show I listened to so it has a special place in my enjoyment of OTR, but I also like both Dragnet and The Shadow.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crich70 wrote:
I agree that E.G. Marshall just has that something special in his voice when he says, "Come in." CBSRMT was the 1st show I listened to so it has a special place in my enjoyment of OTR, but I also like both Dragnet and The Shadow.

CBSRMT is my favorite mystery show. Smile

Brad
iluvbb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: My Favorite Reply with quote

Thought I'd add a little to this thread:

My favorite far and away, and I probably listen to these since finding them about as often as I watch the 3 Stooges Curly episodes (which by now has been hundreds of times). No, I really haven't time to listen to them that many times - but Number 1 for me, hands down is Boston Blackie with either Chester Morris or Dick Comer (sp?), though the Dick Comer episodes are probably just a tad better because of Mary and Shorty. I wonder what happened to Shorty after the first year and a half or two??

I tend to love movies or radio shows where I'd love to be having the adventures. That is what draws me to Boston Blackie - vicariously living those adventures through this wonderful radio show. I like the stories, the humour, you name it....just love the show.

Number two is what is hard for me - I love the 5 episode Johnny Dollar series(es?). To me, those are the best serious detective shows ever done.

But, I love Nick Carter too, so would say it is in a tie for #2 with the above JD episodes. Even though I think Nick probably was geared for a slightly younger audience.

Then of course, there's nothing like Basil/Nigel as Holmes/Watson...also really like the Stanley/Shirley episodes, and thought Tom Conway (who I loved as the Falcon) did a very good job as Holmes.

Then there's Casey, Crime Photographer - I love it and would have to cram it into my top 5 somehow!

And when it comes to "variety" type mystery shows, nothing beats the Whistler and Inner Sanctum.

Those are my favorites, and I just had to post something just to say to the Site Administrator, thank you sooooooooo much for this site. I found it while recuperating from a couple of surgeries; and what a gem this site is.

I love old late 30s and movies from the 40s (mostly mysteries, particularly mysteries set in London like the Rathbone Holmes series), or American Crime busters like the Falcon, the Saint, and of course Chester Morris as Boston Blackie!! How could I leave him out.

I've never fully recovered from my physical problems, and since it is getting harder and harder to find these types of movies on TV, this site and my laptop have become my entertainment center for these Wonderful OTR shows, or old mystery movies.

Oh, and if you like old 1940's "locked room" mysteries, there is one that I caught on TCM one Saturday night called "The Verdict". I just thought that was a great movie, especially if you like Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. Watch it if you ever get the chance. I was stunned at who the perpetrator was, and how he did it!

But again, thank you so much. You don't know how much entertainment your site has given me over the past nearly 4 years! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum iluvbb.

Brad
tallboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Inner Sanctum' for the old days programming and 'CBSRMT' for the more recent period;

but then they really are "almost" the same program i suppose--

'Johnny Dollar', 'Black Museum' and 'The Whistler' also run close to the top of the list --
angelranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out listening to Johnny Dollar Saturday morning rebroadcsts in the 80's. The 5 part episodes had me sitting in the car waiting to see what happened next when I should have been out and about. So I have to say
Bob Bailey as JD is my top favorite. Second would be Sherlock Holmes and then Phillip Marlowe. Mystery shows are appealing for the plots first, characters second, and actors third. Overall the story content is what I appreciate most. There is a live recording of Basil Rathbone addressing the Baker Street Society in London, in the BBC section if I recall rightly, poor audio, but at the end Rathbone explains why Holmes will be forever remembered. I won't attempt to paraphrase, but it says a lot. Here's a link borrowed from the MyOldRadio site:

http://www.myoldradio.com/old-radio-episodes/sherlock-holmes-rathbone-speaking-to-baker-st

Since then I became acquainted with Boston Blackie, Box 13, Mr. District Attorney, Broadway is My Beat, Mr. Keen, Sam Spade, CBSRMT (by the way The Strange Voyage of the Lady Dee 74-11-18 is great with the ghost of Anne Bonny making a cameo appearance). Also Sherlock Holmes with all casts but Basil and Nigel are tops, the BBC Holmes are excellent dramatic presentations-one has to pay attention! From that I went to the BBC show category and heard all the Agatha Christie, Lord Peter Wimsey, Poirot, Miss Marples.

There are so many to choose from. Now I am hooked on the Cloak and Dagger series. For obvious reasons they probably won't be aired on the current rebroadcast shows, too political, but alleged true stories of the OSS and the hero doesn't always get away. Michael Shayne is pretty good with Jeff Chandler getting bonked on the head almost every episode.

I save the mp3 files on a flash drive and plug into a Cobra Internet radio which will take a USB drive and voila! Shows play continuously. All great stuff but to summarize:
Johnny Dollar, Sherlock Holmes and the BBC serials. I am in my 60's also. Thanks Brad, you do us all a great service!
harrietvane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to expand on my earlier comment ...

Suspense was my gateway drug and remains in my top five favorite mystery series.

For my other faves, I'd have to pick:

Candy Matson -- I live for the day when a hidden cache of recordings of this show is unearthed! Until then, I'll just have to content myself with the eight or so that we have available, for their razor sharp dialog full of local San Francisco in-jokes, hysterical sidekick Rembrandt Watson the tipsy photographer, and feisty heroine Candy, one of the few female detectives of the genre, who always comes out on top -- with style.

Richard Diamond, Private Detective -- The original Singing Detective, Richard Diamond (played by Dick Powell) really does sing a romantic song from start to finish in almost every episode. I just love the banter between real-life sweethearts Powell and Virginia Gregg in the phone calls that generally bookend each story.

Pat Novak for Hire -- I swear this series must be a secret inspiration for the rapid-fire completely berserk similes so prevalent today in shows like Family Guy. Delivered in Jack Webb's signature staccato style, only about twice as fast, the stories play second fiddle to such off the wall remarks as "He was like a man in quicksand, complaining about his height." "I should have gotten out of there, but I was using my mind like a bottle of medicine: in small doses once every three hours." "She wore a V-neck dress by a designer who must've liked really big alphabets." By the time you comprehend one, the next is already passing you by.
elisabeth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspense was my gateway drug too and remains one of my favorites Very Happy. I also enjoy Orson Welles's Black Museum crime series.

Just starting on the Whistler after hearing the current podcast "Deadly Rumor" from that series.
MSF17

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presently, the Dark Fantasy filed episode titled, "The Demon Tree" suffices my tingling ear's sensations and is my favorite mystery, and thriller too. However, I can't resist the temptatious tidbits of the radio advertisements and commercials recorded in the 1970 episodes in the CBS Radio Mystery Theater files. I never know what reminiscent product from my childhood listenings of radio theater memory banks will bring a smile to my face Laughing. Wonderful sounds from long ago.
jmllh513

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Everyone,

What's your favorite mystery show and why?

Mine is CBS Radio Mystery Theater. I think the shows are well written and the anouncer (E.G. Marshall) has that certain something in his voice that just makes you want to listen to the show.

I also like Johnny Dollar, Gregory Hood and Box 13.

wholesale Bikkembergs tracksuits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: