Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broadcast Seasons for OTR?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crich70

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Broadcast Seasons for OTR? Reply with quote

I was thinking this evening about how TV has seasons as far as its programming and it got me to wondering how many of the Old Time Radio programs were the same way. I know there must have been times when the stars needed time off just like actors on TV shows do today. I remember listening to some of the old Sherlock Holmes (sponsored by Petri wine) and some of the shows talk about how the actors will be back when the new season begins (or words to that effect). I wonder if it was a regular thing or did a lot of the old shows just vanish after a season as their visual cousins do even today.
human

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been born a year after the golden age of radio is said to have ended, I can't respond with firsthand observations, but looking at the broadcast dates of various shows, it seems to be a mixed bag. Anthology shows like Suspense seemed to run more or less continuously, since the same personnel weren't necessarily needed episode to episode. Other shows did seem to go on hiatus from time to time, and there were also limited run 'summer replacement' shows like Mystery in the Air, starring Peter Lorre, which ran for only eight weeks in the summer of 1947. One thing that seemed to happen a lot more in radio than on TV is shows moving from network to network. Of course, these days TV seasons are less relevant today than ever before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: