Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you listen to Australian or S. African shows?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Do you listen to Australian or S. African shows? Reply with quote

The shows that are available from those markets are (as a whole) better than American radio.

Most are from the 190's. Most are done really well. I am curious as to your favorites.

Mine are: Dambusters, Epic Casebook, Address Unknown. Those are 3 really good shows.
boston blackie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only show we listen to is I Hate Crime. It's main character is Larry Kent, a dectective. Listening late at night, we have trouble with accents. But, this show we do listen to. A lot of the time I would never know it was not taken place in this country.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also try Address Unknown, where at one detective is American and speaks American. Wink
human

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the South African radio adaptation of the classic British TV series The Avengers. Granted, you don't get to see Diana Rigg in her catsuits, but the episodes are well dramatized. My only real complaint about them is each episode is divided into several 15-minute segments, which includes the credits, a recap of the previous installment, and an ad for "Cold Water Omo".

It's interesting that while all of the episodes feature Diana Rigg's character Emma Peele, albeit voiced by a different actress, most of the scripts appear to be adapted from later TV episodes that featured Linda Thorson as Tara King. The episodes in question also include Steed's handler "Mother", who only appeared in the Tara King episodes. Still, they're fun to listen to.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to a few of The Avengers for a while but since I had (no longer) the entire TV series on DVD, I found it be less appealing (yes, Emma's catsuits, Emma - period!)
boston blackie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo, I am going to try Address Unknown. It will be a while before I start my new cue, so won't hear it right away.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really good. Here's the premise: someone is missing. Usually, they haven't been murdered or abducted, they have simply vanished.

A detective jaunts from place to place looking for clues.

Sounds boring but is absolutely not boring in the least. I really like the show.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston Blackie, if you still have my email address would you send me an email where I can get your email-address?
human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the TV show was better. The reason the radio version was even made in the first place is that South Africa didn't even have television until the mid-1970s. Radio adaptations were the only way to bring popular TV shows to the masses.

I teach a community college course on Technology and Society and one of the assignments I give my students when we talk about mass media is to listen to some OTR shows online and comment on the experience. Most of the students find it more difficult to follow the story without the visual component they're used to, but I had a student from Cameroon a couple of years ago who was in her mid-30s and had grown up with radio instead of television. She brought an interesting perspective to the discussion.

Jimbo wrote:
I listened to a few of The Avengers for a while but since I had (no longer) the entire TV series on DVD, I found it be less appealing (yes, Emma's catsuits, Emma - period!)
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
Yeah, the TV show was better. The reason the radio version was even made in the first place is that South Africa didn't even have television until the mid-1970s. Radio adaptations were the only way to bring popular TV shows to the masses.

I teach a community college course on Technology and Society and one of the assignments I give my students when we talk about mass media is to listen to some OTR shows online and comment on the experience. Most of the students find it more difficult to follow the story without the visual component they're used to, but I had a student from Cameroon a couple of years ago who was in her mid-30s and had grown up with radio instead of television. She brought an interesting perspective to the discussion.

Jimbo wrote:

I hear ya. The people I try to turn onto OTR just shake their head after about 2 minutes.

On the other hand, it's not quite Emma Peel, now is it Smile
human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but then that's why they call it "theatre of the mind" Wink

Jimbo wrote:

On the other hand, it's not quite Emma Peel, now is it Smile
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Address Unknown? My favorite radio show when I was at school.

Being able to listen to it again is a slightly odd experience (I am now 61).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: