Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programs to Download
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> OTR Trading Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catfreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Programs to Download Reply with quote

I'm going to use this thread to share interesting radio series.

First up, we have "Can You Imagine That"

episodes 01-20
    http://mihd.net/r2cqjs

episodes 21-39
    http://mihd.net/dnv6m7

I hope that you enjoy them. If you download the programs, I'd appreciate a 'shout out'
    letting me know if the process was painless . .

Victor

at 9:05am on Jan 27th, my buddy left me
                 R.I.P. my loving friend
A righteous man regards the life of his animal
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Victor. I'm listening to one right now. Download went smoothly.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor,

I moved your post to a new catagory I just created. We'll have a special section just for sharing shows with each other.

Thanks for sharing your shows with us!

Brad
RickyLynn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the shows, Victor. This is a new title for me - the shows downloaded just fine.
catfreak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this forum, Sis . . .

This is where I hide when I need peace and quiet, please don't be a stranger

c u at the club

Victor

R.I.P. my loving friend
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Ricky! Nice to see you here. Very Happy
Shirley
majorshaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks once again
Dilly1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Hiding Reply with quote

Wow Victor, so this is where you have been hiding, I just knew I would find you sooner or later, you haven't been doing much on Multiply.
Elaine
catfreak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Elaine . . . No I don't really go to Multiply very much . .

You can find me at Cobalt, the 154, here, File Catchers and After Dawn . . .

Victor

R.I.P. my loving friend
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Elaine! I'm glad you found this place.
Shirley
majorshaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cat is everywere, sharing to all good OTR childern.
majorshaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot, welcome Elaine aka Dilly1
Adeny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

majorshaw wrote:
the cat is everywere, sharing to all good OTR childern.

Wait, does this mean I have to be good?! Rats!
catfreak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry . . .

I like children to be good when I babysit

But I truly enjoy bad women . . .

Meow!
     Victor

R.I.P. my loving friend
catfreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Let's be happy, gather 'round, 'cause it's time for you and me to sing a song as we jog along to the Chuck-Wagon Jamboree!"

To western fans, he will always be best known as Festus Haggen, the grizzled and cantankerous sidekick of Sheriff Matt Dillon on the CBS television series "Gunsmoke." Complete with a three-day growth of beard and a dry-throated voice, Ken Curtis co-starred on the series for eleven years and became one of the best-loved comedic actors in television history.

But even die-hard fans of Dodge City may not realize that, in the years just after World War II, their favorite western deputy was, in fact, a singing cowboy -- the star of his own movie series at Columbia Pictures and a musical radio favorite to boot.

Born in Colorado in 1916, Curtis Wain Gates was the son of a homesteader, Dan Gates, and his wife, the former Millie Sneed. Spending most of his formative years in Las Animas, Colorado (“I grew up 100 miles from Dodge City," he later said), Curtis was twelve years old when his father was first elected to the post of county sheriff. “Our living quarters were on the ground floor and the cells were upstairs. Mother used to cook the meals for the prisoners and I took them up to the cells while she held a shotgun in her hands in case any of them got frisky.” His youth appears to have been largely uneventful and, aside from occasionally standing in as sheriff when his father was away and playing the saxophone in his high school band, there seems to be little indication of the career he was destined to enjoy; in fact, when he attended college in Colorado Springs after graduating from high school, his intention was to study medicine. However, at college, he found he had an aptitude for singing and songwriting and, in the mid-1930s, he decided to leave college and head for the west coast to try his luck in the music business.

Then as now, it was difficult to be successful in the highly competitive world of popular music and it didn't take long before Curtis realized he simply wasn't exceptional enough to become an overnight sensation. Alone in Los Angeles and in need of work, he hooked up with a small band and began accepting musical engagements at small nightclubs. Legend has it that, one night, Cecil B. DeMille's secretary was in the audience, liked what she heard, and recommended him to her boss for a possible movie role. This chance for stardom, unfortunately, didn't end up leading anywhere -- but, having proven himself to be a melodic and reliable vocalist, he soon began singing anonymously on various network radio shows and was also given the chance to regularly record 'demos' - recordings of newly-written popular songs, designed to be distributed to bandleaders in hopes that their orchestras might add them to their repertoire. One 'demo', featuring a song written by composer Harold Arlen, made its way to bandleader Tommy Dorsey; Dorsey didn't much care for the song, but he was in need of a new male singer -- and so got in contact with Curtis and offered to pay his way to New York to rehearse and sing with the band. Dorsey didn't much care for the name Curtis Gates, though, and decided that it should be changed; thus, having been hired to sing with one of the top bands in the country, Curtis Gates became Ken Curtis.

Joining Dorsey mid-engagement at the Paramount Theater, Ken successfully filled the shoes vacated earlier by singers Frank Sinatra and Dick Haymes, but his tenure was fairly brief and may, in fact, have been temporary from the start. After leaving Dorsey, he began singing with the band of Shep Fields, a bandleader best known for his "Rippling Rhythm" musical style but, after Pearl Harbor, Curtis knew that it was only a matter of time before he would be drafted. He chose instead to enlist in the infantry in 1942 and, after a military career spent serving in the Pacific, he was honorably discharged in 1945.

After the war, Curtis resumed his singing career by appearing in a number of guest spots on radio. One such spot - for which he was recommended by a friend, former Dorsey singing alumnus Jo Stafford - was on a radio show hosted by singer/composer Johnny Mercer. On the program, Curtis sang “Tumbling Tumbleweeds” - apparently the first time he had performed a country-tinged ballad on the air. On the strength of his appearance with Mercer, Columbia Pictures called to audition him for a new series of musical B-westerns they were considering producing. Passing his screen test with flying colors, Curtis was soon cast as Columbia's newest singing cowboy - eventually appearing in eight western films between 1945 and 1946, often with the novelty musical ensemble the Hoosier Hot Shots. (Considering that Tommy Dorsey had renamed him Ken, it’s interesting to note that, in most of his westerns, his character's first name is once again Curt or Curtis.) The low-budget films, running only about one hour in length, were successful at Saturday matinees and as second features and usually featured support from character stalwarts like Guy Kibbee and Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, but were not particularly distinguished plot-wise. “I’d stop in the middle of a gun fight and sing a song,” was how Curtis would later describe the acting requirements of his early film career.

By 1947, the era of the singing cowboy was drawing to a close and Curtis' Columbia contract was cancelled. By this time, however, Curtis had made multiple appearances on radio shows and was always in demand for more. With his clear, smooth tenor and a likeable, boyish nature, he perfectly fit the bill of the clean-cut and wholesome cowboy singer, which led to multiple appearances on radio's "Hollywood Barn Dance" and "The All Star Western Theater." He also came to the attention of the Hollywood-based Teleways Radio Productions, a recording company specializing in syndicated musical programs featuring popular western music stars. Teleways had been founded in 1946 and was already successfully syndicating quarter-hour shows starring the Sons of the Pioneers and Foy Willing and the Riders of the Purple Sage. Their idea was to feature Curtis in a fifteen-minute five-a-week daily program patterned after similar network musical shows, as well as shows recorded and syndicated by the Missouri-based RadiOzark Enterprises and the Los Angeles-based C. P. MacGregor Company.

Joining Ken Curtis on this new series of shows, titled "Chuck-Wagon Jamboree," was a batch of talented studio musicians called The Novelty Aces, who would support Curtis musically in his solo numbers, appear as laughing and joking hillbilly hicks between songs, and also be featured in their own musical numbers. Art West, a talented musician and composer in his own right, was hired as both announcer and performer, and two of the singers would change their voices and appear as "The Goon Holler Twins" for twangy duets. Musically, the tone was decidedly down-home, with selections ranging all the way from Stephen Foster favorites to barbershop ballads, from spirituals to fiddle break-downs, and from popular tunes to a daily close-harmony hymn that would close each program on a peaceful note. Curtis would generally be featured in two songs per program, often choosing his selections from the popular recordings of western performers like Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Bob Wills, and Al Dexter, and emphasizing the ballads that had made him a singing cowboy in the first place.

Judging from the length of the series - 131 shows in all - "Chuck-Wagon Jamboree" seems to have been quite successful in various markets - particularly in the south and southwest - and was syndicated for about two years, alongside other Teleways productions. The shows themselves were recorded in Los Angeles in three to six minute segments, complete with openings and closings, and then pressed on 16" vinyl discs for national distribution. (Following the standard practice of the time, segments were sequenced to allow advertising to be inserted by local stations.) There's no question that "Chuck-Wagon Jamboree" did a lot for Ken Curtis' singing career; by 1949, he had not only returned to filmmaking - appearing in various westerns for independent studios and also for Republic Pictures - but had also been hired as the lead singer for the Sons of the Pioneers, a good fit musically, personally, and financially. (He would continue singing lead with the group until 1953.)

Heard today, "Chuck-Wagon Jamboree" still has much to offer. Reminiscent of "The Grand Old Opry" and, particularly, "The National Barn Dance," the series is a tuneful throwback to a simpler time when cowboys rode the range with their guitar by their side and everyone knew the old songs they had learned on their grandmother's knee. While listening to these shows, don't be surprised if you discover you actually remember all the words to an old hymn you used to sing as a child or find yourself humming along to a time-honored western favorite. Taken from an original set of 16" Teleways transcription recordings and fully restored for beautiful, high-fidelity sound, here’s your invitation to stop by the Jamboree and join in the fun. I bet you'll have a wonderful time.

The Old Chisholm Trail (#2)
    Musical selections include "The Old Chisholm Trail," "It's a Lonely Trail,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "The Donkey Serenade," "The Voice in the Old Village Choir,"
    and "Oh Susannah," "Throw a Saddle on a Star" from Ken's Columbia picture of the same name,
    and the closing hymn "God Will Take Care of You."
    1948/49 - 15:00 - Teleways Radio Productions Syndication

The Cowboy's Lament (#3)
    Musical selections include "The Cowboy's Lament (Git Along Little Doggies)," "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Hi-Diddle-Diddle," "When I'm With You," and "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow,"
    "Ridin' Down the Canyon," and the closing hymn "My Jesus, I Love Thee."

The Camptown Races (#4)
    Musical selections include "The Camptown Races," "Blue Prairie,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Flop-eared Mule," "Blue Yodel #6," and "Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party,"
    a Ken Curtis solo on "Dusty Skies," and the closing hymn "Nearer My God to Thee."

Hand Me Down My Walking Cane (#5)
    Musical selections include "Hand Me Down My Walking Cane," "Cool Water,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Tiger Rag" with Jerry on the steel guitar, "When You and I Were Young, Maggie,"
    and "You Are My Sunshine," Ken Curtis singing "Sioux City Sue," and the closing hymn "Sweet Hour of Prayer."

Skip to My Lou (#6)
    Musical selections include "Skip to My Lou," "Whisperin' Wind,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Chicken Reel," "My Dear Ol' Southern Home,"
    and "Lindy by the Watermelon Vine," "Let the Rest of the World Go By," and the old standard "Rock of Ages."

Old Dan Tucker (#7)
    The program opens with "Old Dan Tucker," followed by "Back Home in Indiana,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Rickett's Hornpipe," "You're a Part of My Heart," and "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles,"
    a Curtis solo on Cole Porter's "Don't Fence Me In," and the closing hymn "Steal Away."

Roll Along Jordan (#8)
    Musical selections include "Roll Along Jordan," the all-time Gene Autry hit ballad "There's a Gold Mine in the Sky,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "The Irish Washwoman," "Zeb Turney's Gal," and "Nellie Bly," Ken Curtis singing "Sierra Sue,"
    and the inspirational classic "Abide With Me."

Way Out There (#9)
    Ken and all the gang open the show with "Way Out There," followed by "Wanderers of the Wasteland,"
    a 'Memory Medley' of "Over the Rainbow," "Homesick," and "Hillbilly Wedding in June,"
    Ken Curtis performing "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?" and the closing hymn "Let the Lower Lights Be Burning."

Lonesome Road Blues (#10)
    Musical selections include "Lonesome Road Blues," "Trail Dreamin',"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Down-home Rag," "Worried Mind," and "Ring, Ring the Banjo,"
    Ken Curtis singing the western standard "Twilight on the Trail," and the closing hymn "Holy, Holy, Holy."

Skyball Paint (#11)
    The show opens with "Skyball Paint," followed by "The Timber Trail,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "South," "Danny Boy," and "Pony Boy," "The Singing Hills," and "Blessed Be the Tie That Binds."

Rise and Shine (#12)
    It's a spirited program, as Ken and the rest of the chuck wagon gang perform "Rise and Shine," followed by "Wagon Wheel,"
    a 'Memory Medley' of "Blackberry Rag," "Be Honest with Me," and "A Bicycle Built for Two."
    Ken Curtis continues the show with "My Adobe Hacienda" and closes with "God Be With You 'Til We Meet Again."

Black-Eyed Susie (#13)
    The program opens with "Black-Eyed Susie," followed by the cowboy lullaby "My Little Buckeroo,"
    a 'Memory Medley' consisting of "My Darling Clementine," "Love's Old Sweet Song," and the spiritual "Ezekiel Saw the Wheel."
    Ken Curtis sings "There's Silver on the Sage Tonight," and the program closes with "Sweeter as the Years Go By."

Old Joe Clark (#14)
    Musical selections include "Old Joe Clark," "Empty Saddle,"
    a 'Memory Medley' of "Dill Pickle Rag," "Fort Worth Jail," and "Ragtime Cowboy Joe,"
    "I'm Plodding a Lonely Trail," and the closing hymn "He Leadeth Me."

Down the Trail to San Antone (#15)
    Musical selections include "Down the Trail to San Antone," the ballad "Nellie Gray,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Listen to the Mockingbird," "Sweet and Low," and "I've Been Workin' on the Railroad,"
    followed by a Ken Curtis solo on "The Cowboy's Serenade," and, as the closing hymn, "Just As I Am."

Santa Fe Town (#16)
    The program opens with "Santa Fe Town," followed by "Tomorrow's in the Sky,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Limehouse Blues," "Don't 'Sweetheart' Me," and the quartet favorite "Some Folks Do,"
    a Curtis solo on "Old Ranger," and the closing hymn "The Little Brown Church in the Vale."

The Yellow Rose of Texas (#17)
    A program of western classics includes "The Yellow Rose of Texas," "When the Bloom is on the Sage,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Stardust," Annie Laurie," and "When You Wore a Tulip,"
    a Ken Curtis specialty, "Tumbling Tumbleweeds," and the closing hymn "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling."

Wait for the Wagon (#18)
    The show opens with "Wait for the Wagon," followed by "When It's Nighttime in Nevada,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Little Brown Jug," "Goin' Down the Mountain," and "You Tell Me Your Dream,"
    a Ken Curtis solo on "The Strawberry Blonde on the Strawberry Roan," and, in closing, the old standard "The Ninety-and-Nine."

The Oklahoma Hills (#19)
    Musical selections include "The Oklahoma Hills," "Old Faithful,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Comin' Thru the Rye," "Carry Me Back to Ol' Virginny," and "Good Night, Ladies,"
    followed by "Got to Get Me Somebody to Love" and "I Love to Tell the Story."

Night Train to Memphis (#20)
    Musical selections include "Night Train to Memphis," the Carrie Jacobs Bond classic "A Little Bit o' Honey,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Oh, Dem Golden Slippers," "That Silver-haired Daddy of Mine,"
    and "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," "Cattle Call," and "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior."

And the Great Big Saw Came Nearer (#21)
    The Jamboree opens with that melodramatic classic "And the Great Big Saw Came Nearer,"
    followed by a medley of "Down on the Levee" and "Birmingham Jail,"
    a 'Memory Medley' consisting of "In My Blue Ridge Mountain Home," "Lookin' Through a Window," and "One, Two, Three, Four,"
    a Curtis solo on "The Dew's on the Meadow," and, as a closing hymn, "Rescue the Perishing."

Hold That Critter Down (#22)
    Musical selections include "Hold That Critter Down," "Mexicali Rose,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Sourwood Mountain," "How Come You Do Me Like You Do?" and "Down by the Old Mill Stream,"
    followed by "Blue Bonnet Girl" and the old standard "Almost Persuaded."

She'll Be Comin' 'Round the Mountain (#23)
    The show opens with a folk standard "She'll Be Comin' 'Round the Mountain," followed by "Trail of the Mountain Rose,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Soldier's Joy." "My Old Kentucky Home," and "Kentucky Babe,"
    "Over the Santa Fe Trail," and "Have Thine Own Way."

Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me (#24)
    Musical selections include "Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me," "This Ain't the Same Old Range,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Sweet Bunch of Daises," "Cindy," and "Dinah," "Idaho Ho!" and "I Need Thee Every Hour."

There's a Blue Sky Way Out Yonder (#25)
    Musical selections include "There's a Blue Sky Way Out Yonder," "Home on the Range,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Bugle Call Rag," "Shine On Harvest Moon."
    and "Heaben Heaben," "A New Ten-Gallon Hat," and "Blessed Assurance."

The Crawdad Song (#26)
    The show opens with "The Crawdad Song," followed by "Springtime in the Rockies,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Glendy Burke," "Don't Do It," and "On Moonlight Bay,"
    followed by "Cimmaron" and "Oh, Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go."

Ida Red (#27)
    Musical selections include "Ida Red," "Along the Navajo Trail,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Indian Love Call," "There's a Long, Long Trail," and "Drifting and Dreaming,"
    a Ken Curtis solo on "Indian Summer" and, as a closing hymn, that old spiritual "Shall We Gather at the River."

Sourwood Mountain (#28)
    Musical selections include "Sourwood Mountain," "Cathedral in the Pines,"
    a 'Memory Medley' consisting of "Soldier's Joy," "Honeysuckle Rose," and Irving Berlin's "Blue Skies,"
    followed by "Lullaby Hill" and "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot."

Little Black Bronc (#29)
    The program opens with "Little Black Bronc," followed by "In the Gloaming,"
    and a 'Memory Medley' including "The Arkansas Traveler," "Lamp Lighting Time in the Valley,"
    and "The Sidewalks of New York." Ken Curtis continues the show with Foy Willing's ballad "Someone Won Your Heart,"
    and the show closes with the hymn "All the Way My Savior Leads Me."

Goin' Back to Texas (#30)
    Musical selections include "Goin' Back to Texas," "The Boss is Hanging Out a Rainbow,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Steel Guitar Rag," "Foggy River," and "Bye Bye Blues," "Mojave," and "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name."

Whoa, Mule, Whoa (#31)
    The Jamboree opens with "Whoa, Mule, Whoa," followed by "As We Ride Down the Old Prairie Trail,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Bile That Cabbage Down," "Amapola," and "Left My Gal in the Mountains,"
    a Ken Curtis solo on "Far Horizons." and the closing hymn Bringing in the Sheaves."

Goodbye My Lover, Goodbye (#32)
    Musical selections include "Goodbye My Lover, Goodbye," "At the Rainbow's End,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Sally Goodin," "There'll Be Some Changes Made," and "The Band Played On,"
    "Red Hair and Green Eyes," and "Faith of Our Fathers."

When Payday Rolls Around (#33)
    The show opens with "When Payday Rolls Around," followed by "Over the Santa Fe Trail,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "When Irish Eyes are Smiling," "Wonder Valley," and "Down in the Old Cherry Orchard,"
    followed by Hoagy Carmichael's "Ol' Buttermilk Sky," and, in closing, "The Way of the Cross Leads Home."

Old Dan Tucker (#34)
    "Old Dan Tucker" is the opening song, followed by Gene Autry's theme song, "Back in the Saddle Again,"
    and a 'Memory Medley' including "Cacklin' Hen," "Exactly Like You," and "In the Good Old Summertime."
    Ken Curtis continues the show with "Its Dark Outside," and the program closes with "I'm the Child of a King."

Song of the Pioneers (#35)
    Musical selections include "Song of the Pioneers," "I'm Never Never Lonely,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "They Cut Down the Old Pine Tree," "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain,"
    and "In the Evening in the Moonlight," followed by Ken Curtis singing "It's the End of the Trail, Old Timer"
    and, in closing, "Beneath the Cross of Jesus."

I Like Mountain Music (#36)
    In an appropriate opening, the Jamboree gang all joins in to perform "I Like Mountain Music,"
    after which Ken Curtis sings "Ridin' That Old Crooked Trail."
    The 'Memory Medley' includes "Springtime in the Rockies," featuring Jerry and his singing balloon,
    "Mississippi Valley Blues," and a barbershop quartet version of "In the Little Red Schoolhouse."
    Ken Curtis continues the show with a reprise of "Don't Fence Me In" and the closing hymn is "Steal Away."

Open Up Them Pearly Gates (#37)
    Its spiritual time, as the program opens with "Open Up Them Pearly Gates."
    The western ballad "We'll Rest at the End of the Trail" is next,
    followed by a 'Memory Medley' of "Personality," "My Mammy's Lullaby," and "Shine,"
    Ken Curtis singing "When the Prairie Flowers Are in Bloom," and the closing hymn "Wonderful Words of Life."

Little Liza Jane (#38)
    The program opens with the down-home standard "Little Liza Jane," followed by "The Wheel of the Wagon is Broken,"
    a 'Memory Medley' featuring "Fisher's Hornpipe," Emmy Lou singing "Yodeling Cowgirl,"
    and the quartet harmonizing on "Old MacDonald Had a Farm."
    Next, Ken Curtis is "Singing on the Trail" and the show closes with "My Faith Looks Up to Thee."

New River Train (#39)
    In a particularly entertaining show, the whole gang opens the program with "New River Train,"
    Ken Curtis is featured singing the ballad "Moon Over Montana," a 'Memory Medley' included "Old Joe Clark,"
    "Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair," and "Mary Lou," Curtis returns to sing "Across the Alley from the Alamo"
    and the program closes with the hymn "In the Sweet By and By."

My Pretty Little Pink (#40)
    Musical selections include "My Pretty Little Pink," "Back Home in Indiana,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Rickett's Hornpipe," "You're a Part of My Heart," and "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles,"
    a Ken Curtis solo on "Headin' into the Sunset, and the closing hymn "Jesus I Come."

I'm an Old Cowhand (#41)
    This Premier Collection closes with a show featuring "I'm an Old Cowhand," "There's an Echo in the Valley,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "Twelfth Street Rag," "Juanita," and "Aloha Oe (Farewell to Thee),"
    a Ken Curtis solo in "My Saddle Serenade" (written by Susie and announcer Art West) and, in closing, "Jesus is Calling Today."

The Fireball Mail (#42)
    Musical selections include "The Fireball Mail," "The Song of the Bandit,"
    a 'Memory Medley' featuring "Buffalo Gals" with Jerry on the fiddle, Emmy Lou soloing of "Smoky Mountain Bill,"
    and a vocal quartet rendition of "Sippin' Cider through a Straw." Ken Curtis returns to sing "The Funny Old Hills"
    and the program closes with the hymn "Lead Kindly Light"

I Tipped My Hat and Slowly Rode Away (#43)
    The program opens with "I Tipped My Hat and Slowly Rode Away," followed by "The Old Spinning Wheel,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Goober," "There'll Come a Day," and "Down on the Old Plantation,"
    followed by Ken singing "When Day is Done" and the closing hymn "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms."

One More River to Cross (#44)
    Musical selections include "One More River to Cross," "Leanin' on the Old Top Rail,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Ida Red," "Some of These Days," and "Nobody Knows the Trouble I Seen,"
    followed by "That Pioneer Mother of Mine" and "I'm Praying for You."

Texas Ain't Old Texas Anymore (#45)
    A spirited program, opening with "Texas Ain't Old Texas Anymore," followed by "When It's Prayer Meeting Time in the Hollow."
    Today's 'Memory Medley' contains "Wagonner," "Gentle Annie," and "Lies,"
    Ken Curtis continues the show the "Western Sky" and the closing hymn is the standard "Onward Christian Soldiers."

San Antonio Rose (#46)
    Musical selections include "San Antonio Rose," "Carry Me Back to the Lone Prairie,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Mississippi Sawyer," "Sweethearts or Strangers," and the quartet vocalizing on "Moonlight and Roses,"
    Ken Curtis singing "Where the Mountains Meet the Sky" and the show closes with the rousing "Battle Hymn of the Republic."

Take Me Home Boys Tonight (#47)
    The show opens with "Take Me Home Boys Tonight," followed by "The Missouri Waltz,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Rochester Schottische," "Silver Threads Among the Gold," and "Ida, Sweet as Apple Cider,"
    a Ken Curtis solo on "Heading for the Great Divide," and the closing hymn "Stand Up for Jesus."

Careless Love (#48)
    "Careless Love" is the opening number, followed by "Back Home in Ol' San Antone,"
    a 'Memory Medley' of "Casey Jones," "Feudin' Fussin' and Fightin'," and "In My Little Red Book,"
    followed by "Song of the Sierras" and "Safe in the Arms of Jesus."

Press Along to the Big Corral (#49)
    Musical selections include "Press Along to the Big Corral," "Old Black Joe,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Rocky Mountain Hornpipe," "Long Long Ago," and "When You're Smiling,"
    followed by Ken singing "The Lady from Twenty-Nine Palms" and today's closing hymn, "Mother Dear O Pray for Me."

The Covered Wagon Rolled Right Along (#50)
    Today's program includes "The Covered Wagon Rolled Right Along," "The Night-Herding Song,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Wake Up Susie," "Shoe Shine Boy," and "Standing in the Need of Prayer,"
    a Curtis solo on "Prairie Serenade," taken from his Columbia picture "Texas Jamboree" and the closing hymn "Work for the Night is Coming."

Hold That Critter Down (#78)
    The program opens with "Hold That Critter Down," followed by "Take Me Back to My Boots and Saddle,"
    and a 'Memory Medley' offering "Turkey in the Straw," "Lazy River," and "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean."
    After the center commercial, Ken Curtis returns to sing "Sierra Sue" and the show closes with "Abide With Me."

Shortnin' Bread (#79)
    "Shortnin' Bread" is the opening number, followed by "When the White Azaleas Start Blooming,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Begin the Beguine," "Carolina Moon," and "Dixie,"
    followed by Ken Curtis singing "A Gal in Calico" and, for the closing hymn, "Take Time to Be Holy."

Behind Those Swinging Doors (#80)
    Musical selections include "Behind Those Swinging Doors," "An Old Sweet Song for a Sweet Old Lady,
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "The Old Grey Mare," "Lovin' Ducky Daddy," and "Down in the Cornfield,"
    Ken Curtis singing "Along the Navajo Trail," and "The Unclouded Day."

Detour (#81)
    The show opens with the country swing classic "Detour," followed by "After the Ball,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "Chicken Reel," "It Was an Old Fashioned Garden," and "I've Been Working on the Railroad,"
    and then Ken Curtis singing "The Utah Trail" and, as a closing hymn, "Dwelling in Beulah Land."

Corrine Corrina (#82)
    Today's program includes "Corrine Corrina," "Grandfather's Clock,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "South," "I Gotta Stop," and "Dixie Jamboree."
    Ken Curtis returns to sing "My Little Buckaroo" and the closing hymn is "Bring Them In."

There is a Tavern in the Town (#83)
    Musical selections include "There is a Tavern in the Town," "Riding Down the Red Rock Canyon Trail,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Soldier's Joy," "Born to Lose," and "My Sweetheart's the Man in the Moon,"
    followed by Ken singing "When It's Nighttime in Nevada" and, in closing, "Count Your Blessings."

Deep in the Heart of Texas (#84)
    Musical selections include "Deep in the Heart of Texas," "Old Dog Trey,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Baa Baa Black Sheep," "Frankie and Johnnie,"
    and "Alabammy Bound," "Gold Mine in the Sky," and "Come Thou Almighty King."

Sweet Betsy from Pike (#85)
    Musical selections include "Sweet Betsy from Pike," "When You and I Were Young, Maggie,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Hail Hail the Gang's All Here," "The Girl I Love in Sunny Tennessee,"
    and "Who Broke the Lock on the Henhouse Door," followed by "It Makes No Difference Now" and "Sun of My Soul Thou Saviour Dear."

Mama Don't Allow (#86)
    Musical selections include "Mama Don't Allow," "Over the Rainbow,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Hickory Dickory Dock," "I'll Never Let You Go," and "Little David,"
    followed by "South of the Border" and "Saviour, Like a Shepherd Lead Us."

Mail Order Mama (#87)
    Musical selections include "Mail Order Mama," "Sweet Genevieve,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Little Jack Horner," "The Kentucky Waltz," and "Get on Board Little Chillen,"
    followed by "Home on the Range" and "Jesus Saviour Pilot Me."

Keep on the Sunny Side (#88)
    Musical selections include "Keep on the Sunny Side," "Sleepy Rio Grande,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Little Bo Peep," "In the Cumberland Mountains," and "I Want to Go Back to West Virginia,"
    followed by "Mexicali Rose" and, to conclude the show, the hymn "O Worship the King."

Jubilo (#89)
    Musical selections include "Jubilo," "The One Rose,"
    a 'Memory Medley' including "See-Saw Marjorie Daw," "I'm Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes," and "Sailing Over the Bounding Maine,"
    followed by Ken soloing on "My Way Back Home" and, in closing, "Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone."

I'm Riding That Long, Long Trail (#90)
    Musical selections include "I'm Riding That Long, Long Trail," "Tired Little Wrangler,"
    a 'Memory Medley' consisting of "Reuben and Rachel," "I Only Want a Buddy, Not a Sweetheart,"
    and "In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree," followed by a Curtis solo on "Ain't No Gal Got a Brand on Me"
    and, in closing, "I Am Thine O Lord (Draw Me Nearer)."

O Dem Golden Slippers, with Guest Carolina Cotton (#91)
    Musical selections include "O Dem Golden Slippers," "When the Bloom is on the Sage
    (When It's Round-Up Time in Texas)," guest Carolina Cotton singing "I Love to Yodel,"
    Ken Curtis singing "Out California Way" and, in closing, the old standard "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."

It Ain't Gonna Rain No More, with guest Carolina Cotton (#92)
    Musical selections include "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More," "Chant of the Wanderer,"
    guest Carolina Cotton singing "Yodel Mountain," Ken singing "Marqueta," and, in closing, "Glory to His Name."

Down Quintana Way (#93)
    Musical selections include "Down Quintana Way," "The Whiffenpoof Song,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "Over the Waves," "And Then It Happened," and "The Old Oaken Bucket,"
    followed by a Ken Curtis solo on "The Sweep of My Sombrero" and, as a closing hymn, "Where He Leads Me I Will Follow."

Way Down in Dixie (#94)
    Today's show offers "Way Down in Dixie," "There's a Patch of Land,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "Yankee Doodle," "Peach-Pickin' Time in Georgia," and "Down in Jungle Town,"
    followed by Ken Curtis singing "Leaning on the Old Top Rail" and, in closing, "Lily of the Valley."

Waiting for the Robert E. Lee (#95)
    Musical selections include "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee," "You Can Bet Your Boots and Saddle,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party," "Flow Sweetly Sweet Afton," and "Back to Old Smokey Mountain,"
    followed by Ken singing "Broomstick Buckaroo" and, as the closing hymn, "Jesus Saves."

Michael Finnegan (#96)
    Musical selections include "Michael Finnegan," "In the Little Red Schoolhouse,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Carry Me Back to the Mountains," "There's a New Moon Over My Shoulder," and "Oh, Didn't He Ramble,"
    Ken Curtis singing "Ridin' Ropin' Rarin'" and, in closing, the hymn "Tell Mother I'll Be There."

Polly Wolly Doodle, with Guest Carolina Cotton (#97)
    Musical selections include "Polly Wolly Doodle," "Gentle Annie," guest Carolina Cotton singing "I'd Love to be a Cowgirl,"
    Ken Curtis singing "Old Faithful" and, in closing, "Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross."

Molly and Tenbrooks (#98)
    The program opens with "Molly and Tenbrooks" (a.k.a. "The Racehorse Song,"
    a tune commemorating one of the last long-distance horse races between two champions, Ten Broek and Molly),
    followed by "Over the Santa Fe Trail," guest Carolina Cotton singing "Chime Bells," Ken Curtis singing "Empty Saddles"
    and, as the closing hymn, "Praise Him, Praise Him."

Footprints in the Snow (#99)
    Musical selections include "Footprints in the Snow," "There's a Round-Up in the Sky,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "Red Wing," "Slumber Song," and "My Mother Was a Lady,"
    a Ken Curtis solo on the western classic "Red River Valley" and, in closing, the rousing spiritual "(Give Me That) That Old Time Religion."

That Old White Mule of Mine (#100)
    The program opens with "That Old White Mule of Mine," followed by " Down the Old Chuckwagon Road,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "On the Dixie Bee Line," "Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette," and "Down by the Riverside,"
    followed by Ken Curtis soloing on "The West is Wild as Ever" and, in closing, "Yield Not to Temptation."

Stay a Little Longer (#101)
    The show opens with the country western classic "Stay a Little Longer," followed by "My Saddle Serenade,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "Loch Lomond," "When the Sunshine Turns the Ocean's Blue to Gold," and "Roll, Jordan, Roll,"
    followed by a Ken Curtis solo on the ballad "You're the Only Star in My Blue Heaven"
    and, in closing, the hymn "Take the Name of Jesus with You."

I'm Going Back to My Little Mountain Shack (#102)
    Musical selections include "I'm Going Back to My Little Mountain Shack," "When the Prairie Sun Says Good Morning,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "The Farmer in the Dell," "The Wabash Cannonball," and "Oh, Mary Don't You Weep,"
    followed by Ken Curtis singing "Nobody's Darling But Mine" and, in the closing hymn spot, "More Love to Thee."

Happy Roving Cowboy (#103)
    Musical selections include "Happy Roving Cowboy," "Ridin' Down the Canyon,"
    a diverse 'Memory Medley' offering "Chattanooga Choo-Choo," "Beautiful Dreamer," and "Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey,"
    followed by Ken Curtis singing "The Last Round-up" and, in closing, the beautiful hymn "In the Garden."

Keep in the Middle of the Road (#104)
    Musical selections include "Keep in the Middle of the Road," "The Little Old Church in the Valley,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "Chuckwagon Boogie," "Billy Boy," and "Dez Bones Gwine Rise Again,"
    followed by a Ken Curtis solo on "A Lonely Cowboy's Prayer" and, in closing, the spiritual classic "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?"

Little Brown Jug (#105)
    Musical selections include "Little Brown Jug," "Silver Threads Among the Gold,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "Pop Goes the Weasel," "Bury Me Beneath the Willow," and "Massa's in de Cold, Cold Ground,"
    Ken Curtis singing "Little Cowgirl" and, in closing, "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus."

Wait for the Light to Shine (#106)
    Musical selections include "Wait for the Light to Shine," "No One Will Ever Know,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "The Preacher and the Bear," "Time Changes Everything," and "The Bowery,"
    Ken Curtis singing "You Are My Sunshine" and, in closing, the old standard "Throw Out the Lifeline."

Take Me Back to Tulsa (#113)
    There's a touch of western swing in the air as the program opens with "Take Me Back to Tulsa," followed by "Chant of the Wanderer,"
    a 'Memory Medley' offering "Chloe," "Old Folks at Home" (a.k.a. "Swanee River"),
    and "I Want a Girl (Just Like the Girl that Married Dear Old Dad),"
    followed by Ken singing "Red Silk Stockings and Green Perfume" and, in closing, "Day is Dying in the West."

Santa Claus is Coming to Town (#131)
    A special Christmas program offers a wide range of holiday favorites, including "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," "Winter Wonderland,"
    a 'Memory Medley' containing "Jingle Bells," "Santa Bring My Mommy Back to Me," and "Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party,"
    Ken Curtis singing "White Christmas" and, in closing, the sweet and reflective "Silent Night, Holy Night."

Download links:
    Code:
    Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 002-010 (82.8mb)
    http://mihd.net/sj8u62

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 011-019 (98.4mb)
    http://mihd.net/0bw23h

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 020-028 (98.7mb)
    http://mihd.net/jb1vkr

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 029-037 (99.0mb)
    http://mihd.net/aj87uk

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 038-046 (98.0mb)
    http://mihd.net/40lx56

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 047-082 (90.0mb)
    http://mihd.net/gwcm0s

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 083-091 (82.5mb)
    http://mihd.net/mwn6yd

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 092-100 (98.6mb)
    http://mihd.net/7j9enb

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree 101-131 (87.8mb)
    http://mihd.net/f86tkq

Chuck-Wagon Jamboree Extras (7.85mb)
    http://mihd.net/qs4jp6

Victor
and if you see HarleyRider/Electraglide on the boards, thank him . . I got these programs from him, then I added the write-up (not mine) and the scans

R.I.P. my loving friend
gilinaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor...did you see any mention of Ken starring in the TV show "Ripcord"...about skydiving? It also starred Larry Pennell.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I remember Ripcord.

There was a fad at the time for shows with unusual occupations. Ripcord had skydivers, Whirlybirds had helicopter pilots, Sea Hunt had deep sea divers,

There were probably others I've forgotten.
gilinaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...yeah, one of the Wikipedias said that "Ripcord" heightened an interest in the subject of 'skydiving' . I guess not too many people were aware of it, before this show...or, didn't think about it that much.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: and Reply with quote

Oh, and Cannonball - a show about truck drivers.

I haven't thought of these in years.
gilinaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the stars of "Cannonball" was Claude Akins.
catfreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stroke of Fate, an American radio drama broadcast in 1953.

This NBC alternate history series aired 13 episodes from October 4th to December 27th
    It featured actors like Ed Begley, Alexander Scourby, Hal Studer and Santos Ortega.
    The episodes were written by Mort Lewis and George Faulkner, directed by Fred Weihe
    and announced by Lionel Ricco. Its 30 minutes aired Sunday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern time.
    Each episode had an alternate history point of divergence and dramatized the results of that change.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

Stroke Of Fate. October 4, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining. The first show of the series.
    What would have happened had Robert E. Lee accepted Lincoln's offer to lead the Union forces?
    Allan Nevins comments on Lee's fateful decision.
    Walter Kiernan (narrator), Allan Nevins (Pulitzer Prize winning historian),
    Roger De Koven, Cameron Prud'Homme, John Seymour, Mort Lewis (producer),
    Lester Lewis (conceiver, producer), Peggy Allenby, William Keene, Ken Williams,
    Roger Bower (director), Kermit Murdock. 22:28.

Stroke Of Fate. October 11, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might have happened if the plot of the Earl of Essex to depose Queen Elizabeth I had succeeded.
    The story is told from the point of view of Sir Walter Raleigh.
    Stephen Lorant (historical consultant), Judith Evelyn, Karl Swenson, Burford Hampden,
    Fred Weihe (director), Lionel Ricou (announcer), Alexander Scourby, Horace Braham,
    Ian Martin, Ted Osborne, Lester Lewis (producer), Mort Lewis (producer, conceiver, writer). 24:47.

Stroke Of Fate. October 18, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might have happened if Alexander Hamilton had killed Aaron Burr in their duel. 24:28.

Stroke Of Fate. October 25, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might have happened if Queen Marie Antoinette had escaped the guillotine.
    Anne Burr, Peter Capell, Joe DeSantis, Ross Martin, Kermit Murdock, John Stanley,
    David Pfeffer, Fred Weihe (director), Henry Cassidy (newscaster),
    Mort Lewis (producer, conceiver, writer), Lester Lewis (producer),
    Wesley Addy (narrator), Stephen Laurent (historical consultant, commentator). 22:26.

Stroke Of Fate. November 1, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might of happened if Lincoln had gotten the job he wanted in South America and had left the country in 1841.
    Bryna Raeburn, Guy Repp, Francois Grimar, Ralph Robertson, Monya Shayon, Ralph Camargo, Lionel Ricou (announcer),
    Mort Lewis (producer, conceiver, writer), Lester Lewis (producer),
    Stephen Laurent (historical consultant, commentator), Karl Weber, Fred Weihe (director),
    Henry Cassidy (newscaster). 24:12.

Stroke Of Fate. November 8, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might of happened if Benedict Arnold's treason against the United States had succeeded.
    George Faulkner (writer), Fred Weihe (director), Alexander Scourby,
    James Thomas Flexner (historical consultant, commentator), Richard Waring, Ted Osborne,
    Marie Stroud, Wendell Holmes, Frederick Rolfe, William Redfield, Lionel Ricou (announcer),
    Mort Lewis (conceiver, producer), Lester Lewis (conceiver, producer). 29:19.

Stroke Of Fate. November 15, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might have happened if Julius Caesar had married Cleopatra.
    Santos Ortega, Moses Haddas (historical consultant, commentator), Patricia Wheel,
    Leon Janney, Peter Capell, Roger De Koven, William Griffis, Lionel Ricou,
    Mort Lewis (conceiver, writer, producer), Lester Lewis (conceiver, writer, producer),
    Fred Weihe (director), Karl Weber. 29:04.

Stroke Of Fate. November 22, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might have happened if in 1936 France had marched her army with force against Hitler when he first invaded the Rhineland.
    Stefan Schnabel, Ted Osborne, Luis Van Rooten, Lionel Ricou (announcer), Fred Weihe (director),
    Mort Lewis (producer, conceiver, writer), Lester Lewis (producer), Gordon Craig (commentator), Everett Sloane. 28:50.

Stroke Of Fate. November 29, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might of happened if the French had defeated the British at the Battle of Quebec. 29:28.

Stroke Of Fate. December 6, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might of happened if Russia had changed her mind and decided to keep Alaska. 29:38.

Stroke Of Fate. December 13, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might of happened if Alexander the Great had not died at the age of 32.
    Alexander Scourby, Santos Ortega. 29:13.

Stroke Of Fate. December 20, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining.
    What might of happened if America's first secret weapon, the submarine, had succeeded. 28:58.

Stroke Of Fate. December 27, 1953. NBC net. Sustaining. The last show of the series.
    What might have happened if the Normans had not conquered England. 30:25.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

Download links:
    Stroke Of Fate 01-08
    http://mihd.net/ajw85t

Stroke Of Fate 09-13
    http://mihd.net/50w6z7

Enjoy!!

Victor

R.I.P. my loving friend
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Victor! Those sound like great shows.

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the Stroke of Fate shows and am listening to them now. They are very interesting. Thank you, Victor.
Shirley
hangman3364

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like an intersting show, Victor.
Thanks so much.
arkie44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor,
Thank you for the shows. A lot of good listening in these.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> OTR Trading Room All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: