Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guest Stars - Prep Time and Book Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
otrfan1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Guest Stars - Prep Time and Book Recommendations Reply with quote

Hello all,

New member here. I'm in my early 30's but have listened to OTR my whole life, instilled from my parents.

When a show was like Suspense, where different stars were on the show each week, what was the prep time like for the star of the show? Did they do a "dry run" of the show a day ahead of time? 2?

Do you have any recommendations for books about OTR? Anything about the history, interesting tidbits of OTR, or the economics of radio at the time would be interesting.
crich70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On The Air" by Dunning is one of the best for finding facts about shows. It doesn't cover everything but it does cover a lot of facts about the old programs. You might be able to find a copy either through your local library or through Amazon. I found my copy there.
talosiv

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my copy of On the Air about an hour ago. Can't wait till I can spend some time looking through it.
crich70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun talosiv. The book is filled with intersting facts about the old shows. I'm sure not everything is in there but there is a very large amount of information to be found in its pages.

talosiv wrote:
Got my copy of On the Air about an hour ago. Can't wait till I can spend some time looking through it.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Guest Stars - Prep Time and Book Recommendations Reply with quote

otrfan1 wrote:
Hello all,

New member here. I'm in my early 30's but have listened to OTR my whole life, instilled from my parents.

When a show was like Suspense, where different stars were on the show each week, what was the prep time like for the star of the show? Did they do a "dry run" of the show a day ahead of time? 2?

Do you have any recommendations for books about OTR? Anything about the history, interesting tidbits of OTR, or the economics of radio at the time would be interesting.

Welcome. Glad to have you here.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talosiv wrote:

Sounds great. Let us know how you like it.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: