Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need some kid friendly recomendations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Recommended Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dansperry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: I need some kid friendly recomendations. Reply with quote

Hi, I was hoping to get a few recommendations for sci fi, mystery, and suspense shows that would be OK for my two young kids to listen to. Ages are 4 and 6. They seem to like scary stuff (not too scary). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
boston blackie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend 'Let's Pretend' and there are numerous shows on this web site. It was made for children and done very well.
human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some kid friendly recomendations. Reply with quote

Let's face it. Compared to what they're exposed to in contemporary media, anything OTR could be considered kid friendly.

dansperry wrote:
Hi, I was hoping to get a few recommendations for sci fi, mystery, and suspense shows that would be OK for my two young kids to listen to. Ages are 4 and 6. They seem to like scary stuff (not too scary). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some kid friendly recomendations. Reply with quote

True enough Human. The OTR shows are pretty much good, clean, entertainment. Though some shows may have scary moments I don't think there is much there that can scare a child today. Stephen King wrote about listening to "Mars is Heaven" (though his mother had tried to keep him from hearing it) when he was a young kid, but kids today are so much more 'worldly wise' that I can't say for sure that a kid hearing it today would get the same effect. They probably see much worse on the evening news.

human wrote:
Let's face it. Compared to what they're exposed to in contemporary media, anything OTR could be considered kid friendly.

dansperry wrote:

Thanks
boston blackie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For children aged 4 to 6 you can not go wrong with the series 'Cinnamon Bear.' It is show that was presented before Christmas and it ran for several weeks. It is on this web site. As suggested before, 'Let's Pretend' is good too for young children. However, I have found children are used to video games and tv and like to watch things and sometimes have not the attention to sit and listen. That is sad.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Superman Reply with quote

I'm going through the available episodes of Superman right now - and I can tell you they are a lot of fun.

The show can be kind of violent but not no overly so. Clark Kent lies all the time to cover his Superman identity though.

The show isn't scary or spooky and you are almost always left with a cliffhanger.

I'm 47 and I enjoy the show immensely.

You also can't go wrong with Fibber McGee and Molly. While not directed at children, it's a fun show and "Teeny" is a "kid" on the show and is always a riot.

Strictly G rated.
20thcentury

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, how about Tarzan?

Most of the shows are of good reproduction quality, and the episodes really take you to distant places and strange lands for some good adventures. All without being too scary and with very little violence.

As for Scifi, how about Planet Man?

Also, I realize you did not ask about westerns, but Wildbill Hickock also comes to mind. Wild Bill's sidekick Jingles (Andy Devine), definitely keeps things colorful in a wholesome sort of way.

Joseph Maas, 20th Century Radio station manager

-----------------------------------
Not just radio the way it used to be...
Radio the way it should be!
http://www.20thCenturyRadio.com
-----------------------------------
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some kid friendly recomendations. Reply with quote

dansperry wrote:

Thanks

Welcome to the forum dansperry. I highly recommend "Adventures-Of-Frank-Merriwell". It's kind of like the hardy boys mystery stories. Perfect mysteries for young people.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Joseph. I've looked at your website. Very nice indeed. Good sound quality too. I'm sure our forum members will want to give it a try. http://www.20thCenturyRadio.com

Brad
Barnkeeper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For kids like yours I'd REALLY recommend two shows that are not mysteries but often have mystery-like themes in a few episodes. These are "Jerry of the Circus" and the followup series "Jerry At Fair Oaks," (a military school). I like the morality and lessons-to-be-learned from each situation that Jerry and his friends get in. Kids today learn subliminally just like we used to, so these are great for young kids. Note: these shows are under 15 minutes earch.
My top favorite of all shows for kids would be "The Great Gildersleeve." With over 500 shows available to listen to and a fairly consistent cast of characters, it's a family show for sure. Note that the first few episodes in 1941-42 span changed the way it portrayed the family. The niece and nephew were too "old" for the image of the show. So once the show changed and the niece Marjorie is now a younger girl, the shows begin to make more sense. It's GREAT for car trips at under 30 minutes each.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Barnkeeper. Those sound like good shows for the kids.

Brad
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Kid shows Sci-Fi Reply with quote

If your looking for kid shows for the young'uns...or even not so young'uns:)

Listen to the 'space patrol' radio shows which are good clean fun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Patrol_%281950_TV_series%29

It really paved the way for a lot of sci-fi in the 60's and 70's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Recommended Shows All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: