Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whitehall-1212

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Recommended Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which British crime radio drama is your favorite?
The Black Museum
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Secrets of Scotland Yard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whitehall-1212
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

kristiina05101

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Whitehall-1212 Reply with quote

Happy Holidays to All -

Many of you will perhaps be familiar with the program Whitehall-1212. If not, I would like to recommend it.

I have listened repetitively to the crime threesome of The Black Museum, Secrets of Scotland Yard, and Whitehall-1212, and while all three do at times cover the same notorious British murders (with at times notable departures) I find Whitehall-1212 to be the most consistently satisfying. The re-enactments and dramatizations are most compelling with this series, with a regular ensemble cast. By the end of the series I was able to identify the regular actors by voice, in particular Horace Braham (sp?) and Lester Fletcher. Since the individual episodes do not seem to come with titles, I would suggest a new listener could start with #21.

One thing I especially like about this series overall is that it strikes the best balance when it comes to pity over the tragedy of a victim being murdered and the sometimes comic appearance of some murderers. There are a couple of shows in this series depicting the murder of children and while this can be a painful subject I think Whitehall-1212 handles this variety of crime appropriately.

I was actually sad to come to the end of the 41-episode run of this series. I also enjoy the Black Museum (hosted of course by Orson Welles) but the dramatizations in Whitehall-1212 I think are superior. Secrets of Scotland Yard really suffers (again, in my humble opinion) from poor audio quality and a weird male chauvinistic slant in some places. I say this not being particularly sensitive to chauvinism.

To add a bit of fun I think I will add a poll...for those (and I'm sure there are many) who have listened to all three series, which of them is your favorite?

I would appreciate hearing others' thoughts on these programs....

I apologize if this is not in the correct forum...

Thanks!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristiina,

Welcome to the forum. Very Happy

Brad
kristiina05101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brad!

A Great 2010 Everybody!

So weird to type that number...and '10 looks somehow strange too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Recommended Shows All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: