Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum avatars?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Forum avatars? Reply with quote

I've got an image I'd love to use for my avatar on the forum, but no matter how I edit it in Photoshop, I don't seem to be able to get it small enough to work. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum avatars? Reply with quote

human wrote:
I've got an image I'd love to use for my avatar on the forum, but no matter how I edit it in Photoshop, I don't seem to be able to get it small enough to work. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I think you just have to make it 80 x 80 pixles and save it as a jpg. That's what I did for my pic.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum avatars? Reply with quote

human wrote:

Maybe it was too big. I checked the default avatar file size for this forum software and it was set at 9999 bytes. I changed it to 99999 bytes.

Try it now.

Brad
human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem I am having is with Photoshop. I started out with an 8k image that was about 120 x 108 pixels. When I reduced it to 80, Photoshop inflated the file size to 68k! No matter what I do, Photoshop won't make an image file smaller than 60k.

The avatar I've got up now isn't the one I want to use, but I managed to create a low resource GIF file using another program for the Mac called Graphic Converter. I had to make the image monochrome to keep the file size small enough.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you email or ftp me the original file. I'll give it a try. I'll try my version of photoshop. If that doesn't work, I'll try using Gimp.

Brad
human

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNU did the trick. I knew my creaky old Linux laptop was good for basic stuff, but this is the first time I've actually managed to accomplish something with it that I couldn't do with my iMac. Free Linux software rocks, Dude!!! headbang
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
GNU did the trick. I knew my creaky old Linux laptop was good for basic stuff, but this is the first time I've actually managed to accomplish something with it that I couldn't do with my iMac. Free Linux software rocks, Dude!!! headbang

Linux is fun to mess with. The whole concept of open source software is really cool. Great pic.

Brad
human

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'm a big fan of open source.

The image is a capture from the 1942 Superman cartoon "The Magnetic Telescope".

Hey wow! This is my 100th post!

Sorry, I'm easily amused.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
I agree. I'm a big fan of open source.

The image is a capture from the 1942 Superman cartoon "The Magnetic Telescope".

Hey wow! This is my 100th post!

Sorry, I'm easily amused.

Edwin,

Congrats on your 100th post. Thank you for being here. occasion1

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: