Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBSRMT AFRTS mp3s

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
orporp



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: CBSRMT AFRTS mp3s Reply with quote

Hi, first post here.

Is there a reason the high quality mp3s of the AFRTS CBSRMT episodes is not served here? They sound fabulous, real high fidelity you don't get from the AM tape recordings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
human



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me. I donated a set to the club about two months ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brad
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 1031
Location: Channahon, IL, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: CBSRMT AFRTS mp3s Reply with quote

orporp wrote:
Hi, first post here.

Is there a reason the high quality mp3s of the AFRTS CBSRMT episodes is not served here? They sound fabulous, real high fidelity you don't get from the AM tape recordings.


Welcome to the forum.

The only reason for not posting the AFRTS set is that I don't have them. I only have the radio recordings. I would love to have a complete set of AFRTS if I could find them.


Brad
_________________
Visit our home page http://www.mysteryshows.com for thousands of free old time radio shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Brad
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 1031
Location: Channahon, IL, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
You got me. I donated a set to the club about two months ago.



Sorry Edwin. I thought I alread uploaded those. It looks like I didn't. I'm uploading them now. Thanks for sending those in. My memory is not what it used to be.


Club Members: Edwin donated 78 high quality CBSRMT shows that are of a way higher quality than the recordings made from the radio. Give them a listen.


Brad
_________________
Visit our home page http://www.mysteryshows.com for thousands of free old time radio shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
orporp



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, great.

I downloaded all the shows and noticed two things: one, there were a lot of clicks and pops from the vinyl; two, there was tons of subsonic rumble which made my woofer cones flutter quite violently.

I have denoise/derumble and clickrepair (www.clickrepair.net) and ran all the AFRTS shows through both. Now, some comments: It is generally considered very bad to take lossy files (mp3s) and convert them back to mp3s; however, I argue that what I did sounds better than what we started with. I did this figuring original wav files were not available, and that the original vinyl was also not available (if I am wrong let me know, I have a lot of experience with digitizing vinyl). All processing was 25 (yes 25) bit floating point. I also re-encoded as mono files (using lame), but kept it at 128 kbps, thus doubling the amount of bandwidth (the original shows are all in mono on the LPs, yet were encoded in stereo, basically the equivalent of 64 kbps mono). There are no nasty artifacts as far as I can tell, and the files are just about the same size.

If there is interest in this, I will make a torrent file and put it somewhere like the pirate bay and let anyone download the shows. These will be my go-to shows for sure. I have lots of bandwidth. In fact I'll put up a sample show and let folks compare to the originals. I'll do this tomorrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brad
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 1031
Location: Channahon, IL, USA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orporp wrote:
OK, great.

I downloaded all the shows and noticed two things: one, there were a lot of clicks and pops from the vinyl; two, there was tons of subsonic rumble which made my woofer cones flutter quite violently.

I have denoise/derumble and clickrepair (www.clickrepair.net) and ran all the AFRTS shows through both. Now, some comments: It is generally considered very bad to take lossy files (mp3s) and convert them back to mp3s; however, I argue that what I did sounds better than what we started with. I did this figuring original wav files were not available, and that the original vinyl was also not available (if I am wrong let me know, I have a lot of experience with digitizing vinyl). All processing was 25 (yes 25) bit floating point. I also re-encoded as mono files (using lame), but kept it at 128 kbps, thus doubling the amount of bandwidth (the original shows are all in mono on the LPs, yet were encoded in stereo, basically the equivalent of 64 kbps mono). There are no nasty artifacts as far as I can tell, and the files are just about the same size.

If there is interest in this, I will make a torrent file and put it somewhere like the pirate bay and let anyone download the shows. These will be my go-to shows for sure. I have lots of bandwidth. In fact I'll put up a sample show and let folks compare to the originals. I'll do this tomorrow.


That sounds like a good idea. You can post the address of the torrent file here if you want. Or you can just upload them to our ftp server if you want to share them with the other club members. Some of our club members may not be familar with torrent software.

Host: ftp.mysteryshows.com
Username: mysteryclub@mysteryshows.com
Password: mysteryclub
Port: 21


Thanks,

Brad
_________________
Visit our home page http://www.mysteryshows.com for thousands of free old time radio shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
orporp



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
orporp wrote:
OK, great.

I downloaded all the shows and noticed two things: one, there were a lot of clicks and pops from the vinyl; two, there was tons of subsonic rumble which made my woofer cones flutter quite violently.

I have denoise/derumble and clickrepair (www.clickrepair.net) and ran all the AFRTS shows through both. Now, some comments: It is generally considered very bad to take lossy files (mp3s) and convert them back to mp3s; however, I argue that what I did sounds better than what we started with. I did this figuring original wav files were not available, and that the original vinyl was also not available (if I am wrong let me know, I have a lot of experience with digitizing vinyl). All processing was 25 (yes 25) bit floating point. I also re-encoded as mono files (using lame), but kept it at 128 kbps, thus doubling the amount of bandwidth (the original shows are all in mono on the LPs, yet were encoded in stereo, basically the equivalent of 64 kbps mono). There are no nasty artifacts as far as I can tell, and the files are just about the same size.

If there is interest in this, I will make a torrent file and put it somewhere like the pirate bay and let anyone download the shows. These will be my go-to shows for sure. I have lots of bandwidth. In fact I'll put up a sample show and let folks compare to the originals. I'll do this tomorrow.


That sounds like a good idea. You can post the address of the torrent file here if you want. Or you can just upload them to our ftp server if you want to share them with the other club members. Some of our club members may not be familar with torrent software.

Host: ftp.mysteryshows.com
Username: mysteryclub@mysteryshows.com
Password: mysteryclub
Port: 21


Thanks,

Brad


Hey Brad,

Files on their way. Should be done by tomorrow AM. Let me know what you think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brad
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 1031
Location: Channahon, IL, USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orporp wrote:
Brad wrote:
orporp wrote:
OK, great.

I downloaded all the shows and noticed two things: one, there were a lot of clicks and pops from the vinyl; two, there was tons of subsonic rumble which made my woofer cones flutter quite violently.

I have denoise/derumble and clickrepair (www.clickrepair.net) and ran all the AFRTS shows through both. Now, some comments: It is generally considered very bad to take lossy files (mp3s) and convert them back to mp3s; however, I argue that what I did sounds better than what we started with. I did this figuring original wav files were not available, and that the original vinyl was also not available (if I am wrong let me know, I have a lot of experience with digitizing vinyl). All processing was 25 (yes 25) bit floating point. I also re-encoded as mono files (using lame), but kept it at 128 kbps, thus doubling the amount of bandwidth (the original shows are all in mono on the LPs, yet were encoded in stereo, basically the equivalent of 64 kbps mono). There are no nasty artifacts as far as I can tell, and the files are just about the same size.

If there is interest in this, I will make a torrent file and put it somewhere like the pirate bay and let anyone download the shows. These will be my go-to shows for sure. I have lots of bandwidth. In fact I'll put up a sample show and let folks compare to the originals. I'll do this tomorrow.


That sounds like a good idea. You can post the address of the torrent file here if you want. Or you can just upload them to our ftp server if you want to share them with the other club members. Some of our club members may not be familar with torrent software.

Host: ftp.mysteryshows.com
Username: mysteryclub@mysteryshows.com
Password: mysteryclub
Port: 21


Thanks,

Brad


Hey Brad,

Files on their way. Should be done by tomorrow AM. Let me know what you think.



Thanks a lot! The files have been moved to the CBSRMT directory. They sound great.


Brad
_________________
Visit our home page http://www.mysteryshows.com for thousands of free old time radio shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:    View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Listen To Free Old Time Radio On Our Home Page