Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burning CD's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis0623

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Burning CD's Reply with quote

I am using Memorex CD-RW discs for recording OTR shows or I should say trying to use. The recording goes fine and when I put the disk in my cd player or the car player to check to see if the recording worked, it plays well, but, it will work "ONE TIME" only. If I try to listen a second time I get a "no disc" or a reading disc error. Never ran into a problem like this before. I used windows media player first and then I tried Ashampoo Burning studio 6 free the second time but with the same results. What am I doing wrong?
human

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I've heard of a phenomenon quite like you're describing, but generally speaking CD-RW discs aren't well suited for burning audio CDs. Some players can recognize them and some can't. As a general rule, CD-RW discs are best used for data backups because they can be erased and burned again with new data. For audio purposes, you're generally better off with the cheaper CD-R discs that can be burned only once but are far more compatible with audio CD players.
dennis0623

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Yes, I heard that somewhere before, however, both my home unit and my car will play CD-RW disc's. But I will try CD-R disc's and see if that corrects the problem.
dennis0623

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Burning CD's Reply with quote

I recorded two program on a new CD-RW and played them on my bedroom radio with no problem. I didn't listen to the to the entire programs as I wanted to listen to them when I went to bed. Later that night When I went to play the programs the unit stated reading disc then stated NO DISC. I took the CD to my computer to play the programs and the disc was completely blank. CAN YOU FIGURE!
crich70

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD-RW disks are really more for temporary storage of files (the RW means re=writable) so maybe some stray current in the player tried to re-write something. I always use CD-R disks or DVD-R disks rather than RW disks and have had no real problem with it. I burn my files with Nero's audio Jukebox feature so that I can play the CD's back like a regular CD disk while having the files be MP3's. This allows me to have many files on one disk rather than just one or two regular cd playable files. Since many DVD players can play MP3 files I can set things up before sleep and doze off to the old programs.
glory77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Nero? You can download a trial version at www.nero.com

It's a pretty good burning program, I've never had any problem with it at all.
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for memorex. I have used them and sometimes with no problem and other times I had some problems with them playing.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really weird problem. I suggest going to CD-R, since they're so cheap and easily available.

The CD burning programme I've been using lately is CD BurnerXP Pro (which is free in spite of the Pro in the title).
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good burner is Free Easy Burner which is up to version 3.8 now.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Free-Easy-Burner.shtml
It's supported by ads but even with that I've never had a problem with it.
dennis0623

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: CD Burning Reply with quote

I think I found the problem with the no disk, bad disk, or blank disc problem...It was my radio I just bought [Phillips] and it was erasing my cd-rw disks. The reason I am using these cd-rw disc is to be able to erase old programs and to record new ones after I have listened to them several times. I don't necessarily want to build a collection as we have that at OTR, and I am glad, because as of yet, with a couple of exceptions, recorded anything that I can listen to on my car radio or my cd player in the bedroom. The programs are, usually, all broken up or the cd skips a lot. Since these programs from OTR are in MP3 format and I am recording an audio cd - could this be the problem? I am using Opera as my browser - could this be the problem when I download a show. -- I am confused to be sure.
dennis0623

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: GO PACK Reply with quote

TO: crich70
I'm originally from Milwaukee - and all I can say is - "GO PACK"
Looks like a good year so far
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: CD Burning Reply with quote

dennis0623 wrote:
I think I found the problem with the no disk, bad disk, or blank disc problem...It was my radio I just bought [Phillips] and it was erasing my cd-rw disks. The reason I am using these cd-rw disc is to be able to erase old programs and to record new ones after I have listened to them several times. I don't necessarily want to build a collection as we have that at OTR, and I am glad, because as of yet, with a couple of exceptions, recorded anything that I can listen to on my car radio or my cd player in the bedroom. The programs are, usually, all broken up or the cd skips a lot. Since these programs from OTR are in MP3 format and I am recording an audio cd - could this be the problem? I am using Opera as my browser - could this be the problem when I download a show. -- I am confused to be sure.

The browser shouldn't matter. Once you download the show to your computer and it plays OK, you've got a good digital copy. A standard CD player should be able to play CD-R but some of them have trouble with CD-RW. Especially in the car players.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: