Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sherlock Holmes "The Hound of the Baskervilles"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glory77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Sherlock Holmes "The Hound of the Baskervilles" Reply with quote

I see that part 5 of the Basil Rathbone-Nigel Bruce version is in the members area. Supposedly it was in 6 parts. Anyone ever found, or know were to find the complete version?
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's entirely possible that the other parts no longer exist. Some shows are missing chunks of their aired programming. Not long ago 2 previously thought lost episodes of "The Shadow" turned up so the other parts of Hound could turn up one day, or they may not. Hard to say sometimes with OTR.
glory77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read on another site that some of the Rathbone-Bruce shows are missing and presumed lost forever. I guess we can only hope and keep our fingers crossed.
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Sherlock Holmes Hound of The Baskervilles is for the time being considered lost. However one can only sit and wonder what collector out there might have it and is unwilling to share it and who knows how many other OTR shows. I know if I had any uncirculated shows to share I would.
In fact I have in a small way. Just yesterday I made available to the public an episode of a show called: Those Sensational Years. I found the Transcription disc of this show at a second hand store about 4 years ago.
It's the only OTR transcription disc I've been able to attain.

If any of you would like it here is the show and the link for it at my 4shared site.
http://www.4shared.com/dir/16825046/34e643b/sharing.html

Those Sensational Years
"The Sinking of The Vestris"
April 17, 1947

By the way,to my knowledge, it's the only episode of the series that exists after researching it exstensivelly.
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to come back while were on the subject to let those of you that don't already have these shows know that WBrick316 over at the OTRPlus site has made available to everyone two of the missing Shadow radio shows that were released about a year ago. OTR expert and collector Terry Salomonson who owns Audio Classics Old Time Radio sold the shows to Radio Spirits. They plan to release these a couple of episodes at a time in Shadow collections they put out. I think there are about 11 in total that have never been in circulation before. So far I think they have released 4.

Here is the link to the shows:

http://www.4shared.com/file/113543144/ebe75de7/The_Shadow_380911_137_The_Witch_Drums.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/113542917/b936cec5/The_Shadow_380724_130_The_Mark_Of_The_Bat.html
glory77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Shadow for my collection, thanks Britt!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britt,

Thanks for sharing. thumleft

Brad
dialturner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Sherlock Holmes "Hound of the Baskervilles" Reply with quote

I recall reading Jim Harmon's book "The Great Radio Heroes" in which he remembers listening to the Rathbone-Bruce version of "Hound of the Baskervilles." He claimed it was in the early winter of 1940 and he was huddling under his covers, wishing he could get a cold so he could use the program's sponsor Bromo-Quinine and miss school. I knew that Rathbone and Bruce had made a movie about "the Hound" but I thought Harmon was using that title as editorial license. I have researched it and I did find that it was in February, 1941 that the program was broadcast in serialized fashion. The earliest Rathbone-Bruce program I could find was the Bruce Partington Plans, a 1939 broadcast. The announcer at that time was Knox Manning who used to do the voice-overs for the Columbia movie serials. The Petri Wine broadcasts with Harry Bartell in the mid-Forties are perhaps the best known and widely collected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: