Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posting spam to the forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Posting spam to the forum Reply with quote

I have never banned a "real" forum member from our discussion forum. Today I had to ban a person for posting multiple non OTR posts in our forum. I asked her to please post in the lounge if the topic was not OTR related. She had two links in her sig pointing to her dvd sales page. This person was never a "member" of our forum, just a spammer that got in.

I think this is a case of someone just trying to get links and promote a product. Our spam protection only protects us against automated posting software. It seems that this person actually took the time to register in person and answer the challenge question.

I'm sorry if your forum experience was interrupted for the last several days, but I did want to give this person a chance to learn how the forum is operated. She posted around a dozen full page off-topic posts promoting a DVD website. I deleted the posts twice and emailed her about this. I jut can't allow this type of thing. We've all worked real hard to make this forum a fun place for OTR fans and I won't let people like this ruin it for the real users of our forum.

We get on average, 10 spammers a day trying to sign up with automated software. Once they get an account they would post spam sales messages to the forum on a daily basis. Our forum would be totally ruined and no one would want to come here anymore. Thank God for the people who write the anti-spam scripts.

Please let me know if you see any more spammers in the forum.

Thanks for your help,

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for banning her, Brad. I saw the nonsense and was convinced you would solve the problem. I was part of an OTR forum years ago that was attacked by spammers. I think there may not have been the software to keep them out. I'm not sure, but I do know that forum was ruined by people who just would not quit. It seems people like that just really need to get a life.

Shirley
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirleypearl wrote:
Thanks for banning her, Brad. I saw the nonsense and was convinced you would solve the problem. I was part of an OTR forum years ago that was attacked by spammers. I think there may not have been the software to keep them out. I'm not sure, but I do know that forum was ruined by people who just would not quit. It seems people like that just really need to get a life.

Shirley

Shirley

Yes. It's a simple matter of selfishness. They use their software to make thousands of off-topic posts to every forum they can find just to try to make a sale. As if any of us would want to buy something from someone who was ruining our forum. Shocked

They don't care how many forums they wreck or how much trouble they cause for the site admins and users of these forums. It's hard to believe that anyone could be so rude and insensitive to other people.

Another one I don't like, is the spam email constantly filling my inbox on some of my mail accounts. I don't get that junk to my mysteryshows.com address because I have never posted the actually address on the website. I use a java script to encode it, so the email harvesters can't find it. These people cost people and business many millions of dollars each year due to lost time and protection software for servers and PCs.

What ever happened to fair play? I love to hear the simple old radio commercials during the OTR shows! What a breath of fresh air.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered what was up with her. She claimed to have trouble with english if I recall. I even showed her the link to the lounge thinking she was having trouble finding it. I didn't notice the spam ad link (of course I didn't pay much attention to her postings either). I was way more interested in what my fellow members were posting about OTR, which as Brad pointed out is generally what the board is for.
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with you in your stand against this nonsense. Mysteryshows.com is a wonderful site and you are a great host. I appreciate having your site to enjoy. Thanks Brad! thumleft
crich70

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, spam can certainly ruin a forum. I've seen sites over at yahoo that that happened to. Someone opens a forum about topic X and before you know it there are 10,20, 30 or more spam postings popping up and crowding out whatever topic was supposed to be discussed. I'm glad that Brad does keep an eye out for that nonsense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: