Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al 39 Sherlock Holmes Movies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Al 39 Sherlock Holmes Movies Reply with quote

As some of you may have noticed, I had to remove several of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies from our movie section. One of our visitors alerted me to the fact that only four of Rathbone's movies are in the public domain. The others are not. We still offer those four movies as well as the four audio rips of the movies. The rest have been removed from the server. I don't want to break the law and loose our hosting account or get into any legal trouble that could effect the operation of the site.

We already have several of the Sherlock Holmes shows staring Ronald Howard. These are the older, half hour episodes. I've watched a few of them and they aren't too bad.

I was able to find the complete set of 39 shows of the Ronald Howard version for a good price on Amazon.com and ordered them the other day. Plus I had an Amazon gift certificate I just got in the mail that I couldn't wait to blow. Very Happy

One of our members here first told me about the complete set being available. In the past, I had only seen a few thrown in with the big mystery sets. All 39 episodes are in the public domain.

I will have to convert them all to mp4 format which involves several steps to get them from the DVD to the computer and them convert them. It may take a while to get them all up but we will eventually have the whole set posted. I will do it a little at a time.

I don't want to take away from my OTR projects and uploading since this is an old time radio site and the movies are just something extra that goes along with our mystery theme. I will still post other mystery movies as time permits.

I have to use the 320 x 240 format to make the files as small as possible for downloading. These shows play great on an ipod or similar device that can play mp4 files. I watch them on my ipod and play them in a small window on the computer in the corner of the screen while I'm working on the website. If you use the VLC player offered for download in our movie section, you can set it to always be on top of the other windows so you can watch the movie while you're doing other work or surfing the Internet.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Al 39 Sherlock Holmes Movies Reply with quote

I think I might have been the one to mention them to you Brad. Though I can't find a PM or posting relating to the fact at present.

Brad wrote:

One of our members here first told me about the complete set being available. In the past, I had only seen a few thrown in with the big mystery sets. All 39 episodes are in the public domain.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Al 39 Sherlock Holmes Movies Reply with quote

crich70 wrote:
I think I might have been the one to mention them to you Brad. Though I can't find a PM or posting relating to the fact at present.

Brad wrote:

Brad

Yes, I think it was you Charles. I almost bought the set for $20 but then found in on Amazon for $10. What a great deal! It was in their new and used section sold by a third party. Usually cheaper than the regular Amazon price.

I should be getting them any day now. I still have to load all my conversion software though. One program to rip the DVD to hard drive then another program to compress the shows to .mp4 format.

I've got a three year old dual processor (would love to get the quad someday) so it takes about an hour per show.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Al 39 Sherlock Holmes Movies Reply with quote

I think my copy also cost around 10.00 if I recall correctly. I found it at Shopko here in town. I found another good deal there just the other day. A box of 100 movies for just 14 something plus tax. There are movies in it from "The most Dangerous Game" starring Fay Wray to movies like "Anatomy of an Illness" starring Ed Asner. It's amazing what good deals you can find sometimes. I agree that amazon does have some good deals too. I bought two Manga drawing books not long ago there for .74 and .25 respectively. Had to pay $3.99 for each s/h costs (from different sellers) but it was a great deal since the original price on each was $19.99 without sales tax. So I got some $40.00 something worth of books for around $9.00 altogether.

Brad wrote:
crich70 wrote:

Brad wrote:

Brad

Yes, I think it was you Charles. I almost bought the set for $20 but then found in on Amazon for $10. What a great deal! It was in their new and used section sold by a third party. Usually cheaper than the regular Amazon price.

I should be getting them any day now. I still have to load all my conversion software though. One program to rip the DVD to hard drive then another program to compress the shows to .mp4 format.

I've got a three year old dual processor (would love to get the quad someday) so it takes about an hour per show.

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a piano music book for my daughter in the used section for one cent plus 2.99 shipping. I think they were just trying to get new customers to notice them. Good deal though. I have no problem buying used movies or audio disks as long as they play OK.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me either. Though I think sometimes they're not 'used' so much as resold. That is someone buys a quantity of item X and then resells them. Sometimes they're probably overstock that someone wants to clear from their inventory too. Some of the things I've bought look like they were shipped out from the manufacturer (the books I've bought certainly do) just yesterday, they look that good.

Brad wrote:
I got a piano music book for my daughter in the used section for one cent plus 2.99 shipping. I think they were just trying to get new customers to notice them. Good deal though. I have no problem buying used movies or audio disks as long as they play OK.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: