Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBSRMT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
solarpons

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: CBSRMT Reply with quote

I started downloading CBSRMT from Mysteryshows.com. I love them!
I remember my dad talking about them when I was a kid.
He said that public radio also carried a lot of shows in the 70s and 80s.
Are there any stations carrying drama today?

Happy Listening.

Solar
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CBSRMT Reply with quote

solarpons wrote:

Happy Listening.

Solar

Welcome to the forum Solar! I know they offer one old time radio chanel on serious satellite radio but it's not 24 hours. Sometimes they put sports on it.

Brad
Adeny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another friendly face.

I wish some stations ran radio shows. If I knew anything about being in radio, I would try to get a big collection together and host my own show. I think it would be great.

I am lucky to have a local radio troupe that puts on live performances of shows. More of those should pop up around in the country.

If I were queen.... Very Happy
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeny wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another friendly face.

I wish some stations ran radio shows. If I knew anything about being in radio, I would try to get a big collection together and host my own show. I think it would be great.

I am lucky to have a local radio troupe that puts on live performances of shows. More of those should pop up around in the country.

If I were queen.... Very Happy

People don't know what they're missing. Old time radio shows like CBSRMT and Suspense are great. The young people now a days have never heard shows like this. What a shame. They're so good.

Brad
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: new drama Reply with quote

Unless you want to tune in to the BBC website, you'll only find traditional radio drama on Jim French's show Imagination Theater. And yes, you can listen to it over the Internet....

http://jimfrenchproductions.com/zc137m/index.php?main_page=page&id=2&chapter=0
solarpons

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the welcome and thanks Mike for the link.

Solar
OldBill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new drama Reply with quote

Mike Hobart wrote:
Unless you want to tune in to the BBC website, you'll only find traditional radio drama on Jim French's show Imagination Theater. And yes, you can listen to it over the Internet....

What's a bbc? Where's all the western shows?

Bill
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Old Bill Reply with quote

Old Bill,

Jim French's website does have a Western called Powder River, but have you tried going to the Internet Archive and looking under the names of the various Western shows?

You'd probably find quite a few there now available for download.

http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradio
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: INCOMPLETE Reply with quote

CBS RMT #871 "The Cabinet of the Unsolved" is incomplete.

I think I have a complete 45-minute copy if anybody needs it.
It's about 10.6 MB

Just let me know.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: INCOMPLETE Reply with quote

Mike Hobart wrote:
CBS RMT #871 "The Cabinet of the Unsolved" is incomplete.

I think I have a complete 45-minute copy if anybody needs it.
It's about 10.6 MB

Just let me know.

Mike,

If the copy I have on the site is incomplete, I'd like to fix that. Let me know.

Thanks,

Brad
catfreak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new drama Reply with quote

OldBill wrote:
Mike Hobart wrote:

What's a bbc? Where's all the western shows?
Bill
    British Broadcasting Company

at 9:05am on Jan 27th, my buddy left me
                 R.I.P. my loving friend
A righteous man regards the life of his animal
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: incomplete Reply with quote

Brad,

I'm pretty sure the one you have up at the moment, which is 9.3 MB, only runs about 39 minutes 52 seconds.

My copy runs 45 minutes 33 seconds.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: #0217 Reply with quote

CBSMRT 750203

Death On Skiis

This one had me guessing all the way.

George Lowther's script follows the old favorite plot of confining the small cast of characters in an isolated location and asking us to guess which one of them is a homicidal maniac.

As Dame Agatha could tell you, this situation always has potential.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: #0217 Reply with quote

Mike Hobart wrote:
CBSMRT 750203

Death On Skiis

This one had me guessing all the way.

George Lowther's script follows the old favorite plot of confining the small cast of characters in an isolated location and asking us to guess which one of them is a homicidal maniac.

As Dame Agatha could tell you, this situation always has potential.

Thanks Mike,

I'm listening to it right now. Smile Here is the direct link if anyone want's to hear it.

http://www.mysteryshows.com/CBS-Radio-Mystery-Theater/CBSMRT_0217_Death_on_skis.mp3

Brad
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: blackmail and faith healing Reply with quote

CBS RADIO MYSTERY THEATER #005

"No Hiding Place" January 10, 1974

Larry Haines stars as an up-and-coming businessman, about to become CEO of his father-in-law's corporation, who is suddenly confronted by a blackmailer. Writer Sidney Sloan gives it the classic film noir slant - "There are only two ways to deal with a blackmailer" says Haines.

Good solid episode. Also stars Anne Meacham and Jackson Beck.

CBS RADIO MYSTERY THEATER #205

"Faith and the Faker" January 14, 1975

A reluctant faith healer finds he has the power to heal all the residents of his island home... except his wife who is unable to walk. He is told this is because his wife was not born on the island and doesn't have the unconditional faith that the island people do.

Stars Howard Da Silva and Mary Jane Higby.

Writer Elspeth Eric gives us an unusual script with more character development and less violence than most episodes of this show. Nice performance from Da Silva, who I remember seeing as a heavy on many television shows of the period.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS RADIO MYSTERY THEATRE #32

"After the Verdict" February 6, 1974

An ethical dilemma for a young lawyer who finds out the man he defended for murder is actually guilty. What will he do? Should he accept the offer of a friendly gangster to "get rid" of the problem for him? Tony Roberts stars.

Henry Slesar wrote several stories for CBS RMT. I remember him mainly as a writer of mystery short stories in the 1960s, though some may recall him as head writer on the soap opera Edge Of Night. This is a nice little yarn, with an ending that's unexpected but not an outrageous twist.

CBS RADIO MYSTERY THEATER #33

"Conspiracy to Defraud" February 8, 1974

A federal agent goes to Paris to trace heroin shipments. He meets a Greek gangster and a woman whose family are involved in an insurance racket. Stars Paul Hecht.

This is introduced as a slice of foreign intrigue, but I'm afraid it wasn't that intriguing. It held the attention, but I wouldn't have been that upset if I'd been interrupted before we got to the climax. Sidney Sloan wrote a lot of scripts for the show, presumably most of them better than this one.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: The Devil God Reply with quote

CBS RADIO MYSTERY THEATRE #117
The Devil-God July 11, 1974
Written by Mary Jane Higby

A young couple go out west to see a ranch they've inherited. At first they're dismissive of a local legend that their valuable palomino horse is now sacred to an Indian god, but they change their minds when a terrible storm descends on them.

Cast: Ruby Dee, Mandel Kramer, Leon Janney, Guy Sorel

Stories about curses can be a bit bland - you tell the hero he'll die if he goes something, he does it and he dies, the end. But this one kept me glued to the story. The actors do a good job with their characters and the sound effects are pretty good for the period.

Maybe not the most subtle of titles though.

Somebody on another website expressed surprise at the casting of Ruby Dee as a western heiress, but that's the magic of radio!

(By the way, I'm not sure if your copy of this episode has any problems, but here's a copy where I tinkered with the volume a little to make it more even http://www.mediafire.com/?mhxjwe2c92e )
human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is a lot of today's young people don't have the patience to sit and listen. I tried to play a CBSRMT episode for my niece one time and she listened for about a minute before she got up, said "I don't get it," and walked away. They don't call 'em the "ADD generation" for nothing...

Brad wrote:

People don't know what they're missing. Old time radio shows like CBSRMT and Suspense are great. The young people now a days have never heard shows like this. What a shame. They're so good.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CBSRMT Reply with quote

I remember listening to the CBSRMT shows when I was a kid(I'm 37). lol. At night before bed I'd lay on my parents bed and listen to their radio as E.G. Marshall would present that evening's tale. It was my first introduction to the fun of Old Time Radio programming. I most likely missed the first few seasons since I was just 3 yrs old when it started in 1974 but I always enjoyed listening to it. I think that programs like CBSRMT are better than much of what is on TV today. There's just something about listening to a program that can't be duplicated with the television. From the time the door creaks open til the time it slams shut you're guaranteed an entertaining experience.

solarpons wrote:

Happy Listening.

Solar
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I just downloaded the CBSRMT episode titled: "It's Simply Murder" and I'm amazed at how much better the audio quality is than many of the other episodes,some of which can be hard to hear. From what I understand many of the episode swhere recorded on home cassette tape recorders back at the time of original broadcast,so the audio quality varies greatly. Some of the people that recorded them were in their early teens as I was back then. Just this last year I was happy to find them on the internet,I wondered if I'd ever get to hear them again and always regreted loosing the ones I had recorded back in 77' and 78' when I was just 14. This particular episode seems crystal clear compared to others and shows us what they would sound like If Hyman Brown would ever release the original copies for sale! By the way,if your interested in hearing it, it is episode #64 from March 27,1974. It's my goal to hear one each day. I started with the first episode. Happy Listening everyone Cool
human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To date, Himan Brown has kept the master recordings locked in his vault, so the only recordings in circulation are those made by listeners back in the day. Not sure why he hasn't made any effort to put them out in a retail package. I'm sure there would be a ready market for them. To his credit, though, he is cool with the non-commercial distribution of audience recordings of the shows, according to a statement from his daughter that I read on fearyoucanhear.com.

Britt Reid wrote:
Wow! I just downloaded the CBSRMT episode titled: "It's Simply Murder" and I'm amazed at how much better the audio quality is than many of the other episodes,some of which can be hard to hear. From what I understand many of the episodes were recorded on home cassette tape recorders back at the time of original broadcast,so the audio quality varies greatly. Some of the people that recorded them were in their early teens as I was back then. Just this last year I was happy to find them on the internet,I wondered if I'd ever get to hear them again and always regreted loosing the ones I had recorded back in 77' and 78' when I was just 14. This particular episode seems crystal clear compared to others and shows us what they would sound like If Hyman Brown would ever release the original copies for sale! By the way,if your interested in hearing it, it is episode #64 from March 27,1974. It's my goal to hear one each day. I started with the first episode. Happy Listening everyone Cool
dayle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: CBS Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can help me. I was working my way thru the free Mystery Theatre shows and I see if has been moved but can't seem to find it anywhere. Could someone point me in right direction? Thank you.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: CBS Reply with quote

dayle wrote:
Hopefully someone can help me. I was working my way thru the free Mystery Theatre shows and I see if has been moved but can't seem to find it anywhere. Could someone point me in right direction? Thank you.

I'm sorry. Those had to be moved into the club members area because of bandwidth issues.

Brad
dayle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: CBS Reply with quote

Yes, and I am a club member and I still can't find them.
dayle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back thru the list and found it. I could swear the CBS wasn't there in the list before. anyways I'm good thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: