Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just When I Thought I Wasn't Interested

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyG1965

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Just When I Thought I Wasn't Interested Reply with quote

I first got hooked recently with episodes of "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" and figured I wouldn't be interested in any other categories of show. Boy was I wrong.

I've been taking folks suggestions and recommendations of shows and I can't believe I am actually enjoying some of the Sci-Fi shows too.

I love how OTR makes one's imagination kick in and actually have to do some work. I honestly believe that kids today have almost lost this ability to use their imagination.

Brad....thanks again for making these show available.
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how you feel about enjoying all sorts of different shows. I used to listen to comedy and music shows a lot. Then, I found this site and I ended up listening to some mystery shows and was shocked I liked them so much. My husband says I have taught him to like them, too. One day I decided to listen to The Twilight Zone and I was very shocked that I liked it. Now I listen to a Twilight Zone about once a day.

Shirley
crich70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that you can say about OTR is that it is addictive. Once you get a good dose of it you can't just give it up. I don't know that there is a cure for it either, though even if there were I woudn't take it. I figure there are a lot worse things in this world to be addicted to. I agree with MikeyG1965 that the shows do stimulate the imagination. They're the closest thing to the old village storytellers of old that we have today. Audiobooks are close but still maintain a distance from the listener by the way things are worded I think. Once an episode of OTR begins the outside world ceases to exist for the characters. There are no asides to the listener. It's as if the actors (for that brief stretch of time) actually become the characters. It's a form of magic that I think is unique to OTR.
human

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no cure. There is only treatment, and that is to listen to more OTR!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just When I Thought I Wasn't Interested Reply with quote

MikeyG1965 wrote:
I first got hooked recently with episodes of "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" and figured I wouldn't be interested in any other categories of show. Boy was I wrong.

I've been taking folks suggestions and recommendations of shows and I can't believe I am actually enjoying some of the Sci-Fi shows too.

I love how OTR makes one's imagination kick in and actually have to do some work. I honestly believe that kids today have almost lost this ability to use their imagination.

Brad....thanks again for making these show available.

I love the old Sci-Fi shows. After mystery shows, those are my second favorite.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there is some great Science Fiction in OTR. My favorite episode is "Rocket from Manhatten" which Arch Obler produced as part of Lights Out.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crich70 wrote:
I agree there is some great Science Fiction in OTR. My favorite episode is "Rocket from Manhatten" which Arch Obler produced as part of Lights Out.

We have an "Arch Obler" folder in the members area. You may like those shows as well.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I think Mr. Obler's programs were one of the 1st that I downloaded. After getting the episodes of CBS Radio Mystery Theater. Smile You never know where you're going to end up with one of his tales. They're always a great treat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: