Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you use this website?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: How do you use this website? Reply with quote

I'm just trying to get a feel for how everyone uses the site. I'm trying to figure out where I should devote more of my time on the site. Please let me know if you can.

Do you go to the home page first and read the recent club news or do you go straight to the club members area or the forum?

Do you access the club members area and the forum from the links on the home page or bookmark and go to these areas directly?

Have you seen the new "club news" link at the top of the forum home page?

Does anyone read the club news?
http://www.mysteryshows.com/blog/index.php

Does anyone subscribe to our "club news" or podcast feed in a feed reader or through AOL, Yahoo or Google start page?

Has anyone listened to our podcast from out "podcast player page"?
http://www.mysteryshows.com/mystery-podcast-player/mystery-podcast-player.php

Has anyone read our "frequently asked questions" page yet?
http://www.mysteryshows.com/helpdesk/knowledgebase.php

I know this is a lot of questions. You don't have to answer them all (or any of them) if you don't have time.

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited by Brad on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly look at the forum's. I note which section(s) has/have the most recent date and go from there.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crich70 wrote:
I mostly look at the forum's. I note which section(s) has/have the most recent date and go from there.

Thanks for answering. Don't you download the shows from the members area?

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
It is the forum that I have bookmarked. I probably check in here about four times a day to see if there are any new posts. I read the posts and if it is anything I have a clue about I try to make a comment.

I probably go to the members area about three times a week. I don't really keep records, though. If there are new shows I think I would listen to I usually download them as soon as I see them. I usually listen to a few to see if I like the show. My biggest problem is I am working my way through so many different series I sometimes am not sure just where I am at. I think I can live with the problem, though.

I don't usually visit the home page and I don't usually read your news blurbs. I have not downloaded from the podcasts. I hope I'm not being offensive that you are putting all this work into all these things I am ignoring.

Shirley
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirleypearl wrote:
Brad,
It is the forum that I have bookmarked. I probably check in here about four times a day to see if there are any new posts. I read the posts and if it is anything I have a clue about I try to make a comment.

I probably go to the members area about three times a week. I don't really keep records, though. If there are new shows I think I would listen to I usually download them as soon as I see them. I usually listen to a few to see if I like the show. My biggest problem is I am working my way through so many different series I sometimes am not sure just where I am at. I think I can live with the problem, though.

I don't usually visit the home page and I don't usually read your news blurbs. I have not downloaded from the podcasts. I hope I'm not being offensive that you are putting all this work into all these things I am ignoring.

Shirley

No, that's fine Shirley. I'm looking for honest answers from our club members. Everyone can use the site as they see fit. I just wanted to know what the most popular features are that get used the most.

Thanks,

Brad
MikeyG1965

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

I hit the forums about three times a day to see what is new....also check your updates section.

Of course, downloading too. I do not listen online with any streaming audio. Download and then upload onto iPod.
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, though of course some of them take a bit of time to download depending on how big the files are and how many of a given show.

Brad wrote:
crich70 wrote:

Thanks for answering. Don't you download the shows from the members area?

Brad
human

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually come in through the "front door" (a.k.a. the homepage) and then typically head to the forums unless there's something specific I'm looking for, or I'm just in the mood to listen, in which case I head into the members' area.

I have my browser configured to automatically log me in to the forums, so I just click the "view posts since last visit" link in the upper right corner of the Forum Index page. Then I read the latest posts and respond if I felt led so to do. Once I've read the new forum posts, I may feel inspired to check out a show that's been discussed.

I rarely look at the club news on the home page because most of it is repeated in the forum.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
I usually come in through the "front door" (a.k.a. the homepage) and then typically head to the forums unless there's something specific I'm looking for, or I'm just in the mood to listen, in which case I head into the members' area.

I have my browser configured to automatically log me in to the forums, so I just click the "view posts since last visit" link in the upper right corner of the Forum Index page. Then I read the latest posts and respond if I felt led so to do. Once I've read the new forum posts, I may feel inspired to check out a show that's been discussed.

I rarely look at the club news on the home page because most of it is repeated in the forum.

Yes, I put most news in the forum too. I put the names of the new shows added in the news blog and sometimes not in the forum. Or you could just click on the "Date Last Modified" link two times in the members area to see all the latest shows added. This is probably the easiest way to see them. Thanks for your comments.

Brad
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check the forums two or three times a day to see if there are any new posts. It's interesting to see what people are listening to and I help out if it is a question I can answer. I also download shows from the collection,not in massive amounts, but one at a time. Thanks for the great site Brad hello2
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Typical day Reply with quote

Typical day for me would be to come to the web site from my favorites.
Check the recent club news for all the new shows

Then I go to the forums and check for new posts and see what everyone is listening to. This usually determines which shows I download for that day.

I only download a few shows at a time, just the ones I listen to for that day.

I just recently purchased a Ext HD to keep all my favorite radio shows which is just about everything here!

Great site Brad!

Kevin
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our bandwidth troubles are under control again after moving some stuff out of the free download area. Club members can download more than a few shows a day. I want you all to enjoy the website and our club. If you want to download a few hundred (or more) shows a day, than go ahead.

The bandwidth hogs are usually visitors who come by and grab all the shows on the homepage as fast as they can download them. They have no intention of becoming members of the club or visiting our forum. Or they send out robot mp3 harvesters to grab every mp3 file they run into. Songs are mostly in mp3 format so there is software written to just go out and look for mp3 files. They probably just delete our shows when they see they aren't songs. Shocked

They don't know what they're missing. Wink

Enjoy the shows!

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I wondered why you had rearranged that part of things. Makes sense and I agree with you that they don't know what they're missing.

Brad wrote:
Our bandwidth troubles are under control again after moving some stuff out of the free download area. Club members can download more than a few shows a day. I want you all to enjoy the website and our club. If you want to download a few hundred (or more) shows a day, than go ahead.

The bandwidth hogs are usually visitors who come by and grab all the shows on the homepage as fast as they can download them. They have no intention of becoming members of the club or visiting our forum. Or they send out robot mp3 harvesters to grab every mp3 file they run into. Songs are mostly in mp3 format so there is software written to just go out and look for mp3 files. They probably just delete our shows when they see they aren't songs. Shocked

They don't know what they're missing. Wink

Enjoy the shows!

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: