Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Sherlock Holmes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: More Sherlock Holmes Reply with quote

Hi friends,

I just added some more sherlock holmes shows to the free section. These are the BBC radio version. It looks like a complete set of all the stories. They are:

1 - The Sherlock Holmes Novels
A Study in Scarlet
The Sign of The Four
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Valley of Fear

2 - The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
3 - The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
4 - The Return of Sherlock Holmes
5 - His Last Bow
6 - The Case-book of Sherlock Holmes
7 - The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes .vs Dracula

Enjoy,

Brad

Last edited by Brad on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Brad. Sherlock Holmes is something my husband always like to hear. Thanks for all the great shows you provide. thumright

Shirley
hangman3364

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elementary, my dear Shirley.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Very Happy
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy11
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the "Study in Scarlet" yesterday. The BBC version is quite good. Are there any other BBC shows I should try to get for the club?

Brad
human

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally not one for franchise crossovers, but "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula" sounded too good to pass up. I've got a great mental image of Basil Rathbone and Bela Lugosi on the screen together--just as long as Ed Wood isn't in the director's chair Shocked
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
I'm generally not one for franchise crossovers, but "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula" sounded too good to pass up. I've got a great mental image of Basil Rathbone and Bela Lugosi on the screen together--just as long as Ed Wood isn't in the director's chair Shocked

Ed Wood has directed some really bad ones Shocked

Brad
human

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fears have been put to rest. After listening to "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula", I can give it an enthusiastic recommendation. It's a high quality BBC production that despite a title that sounds like it should be on the marquee of a drive-in theater, circa 1962, is a well balanced blend of Conan-Doyle's and Stoker's work. I guess it helps that they're both Victorian British authors.

The storytelling is more in the mode of Conan-Doyle, but the storyline follows the plot of "Dracula" fairly closely and the addition of Holmes and Watson do not feel overly contrived, as is so often the case with franchise crossovers--especially the ones with "vs." in the title.
crich70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a book version of "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula" as well as one of "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dr Jekyll " I believe. Don't remember the authors name(s) offhand though. Good reading all around.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crich70 wrote:
There is also a book version of "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula" as well as one of "Sherlock Holmes vs. Dr Jekyll " I believe. Don't remember the authors name(s) offhand though. Good reading all around.

If you like to read Sherlock Holmes but are stuck at your computer, you can read all the stories online here:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/d/doyle/arthur_conan/

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche Brad. I have a 2 Vol. copy of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes which I find very interesting (includes articles about various things that were common in those days and reproductions of the original illustrations. On another note you can also find the Sherlock Holmes stories (and many others) here as well. http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/ Just go to the author search, or title search if you don't remember an author's name and viola! Text files that you can download to a ebook device, pda, etc. Course Mobipocket.com also has them as ebooks. The parent site (Gutenberg) has even got a iso file for DVD that contains 1000's of books you can download and burn to a disk. Computers really do do a good job of storing media. Whether it's text or mp3 files of OTR. Very Happy
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of the old story of how Abe Lincoln had to walk for miles to borrow a book, I think how lucky we are to have access to all the great works with just the click of a mouse.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point there Brad. I also like to remember the story of the king of France who was said to have a large library. He owned around 20 books. Back then of course they were very expensive (copied by hand) and the owner would literally have to chain them to the library table to make sure that any guests wouldn't 'borrow' them without asking. Now we can pick up a copy of the latest book by a favorite author for just a few bucks (in paperback) or get an older one as a text file online. It's great. Also good to be able to access OTR files online with that same quick click as well. I remember borrowing a reord of Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" broadcast from my library when I was a kid. Didn't have much access to OTR programs back then, now a person can just type in OTR and Viola! 100's of episodes of different programs. Technology has sure come a long way since the early days of radio and telephone communication.
human

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite true, Crich. In the 13th century, Cambridge University boasted an incredibly vast library of between 200 and 300 books! I think I have at least that many books in my library now, even after my ex-wife made me get rid of about half of what I had when we first got married and were trying to combine households. Evil or Very Mad We never did fully combine them. I guess she would be more tolerant of my renewed obsession with OTR, since those volumes don't take up any physical space or contribute to clutter anywhere but on my hard drive. Twisted Evil

It is pretty amazing to think I can now download an OTR entire series with the click of a mouse. I remember feeling lucky to have taped a handful of episodes of CBSRMT or X-minus One or Gunsmoke or whatever off the air when I was a kid in the '70s.
crich70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge has also advanced fast these last few hundred years. I happened to recall this morning that I saw a replica edition of the 1st Encyclopedia Brittanica being offered a few yrs back. I don't remember the cost but I do remember that it was a one volume work. Imagine, as recently as the founding fathers all human knowledge was able to fit between the covers of a single book. Of course some of their ideas were wrong I'm sure. The idea of Phlogiston for example. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlogiston_theory
Of course it was an agricultural based world back then rather than the industrial one we have today. Wonder how many back then could even read. Gutenberg really started something in 1450 with his 200 Bibles. Alas less than 1/4th of them still exist today. I think there are 48 known copies still extant. Probably all under lock and key in museums and private collections I'd guess too.

human wrote:
Quite true, Crich. In the 13th century, Cambridge University boasted an incredibly vast library of between 200 and 300 books! I think I have at least that many books in my library now, even after my ex-wife made me get rid of about half of what I had when we first got married and were trying to combine households. Evil or Very Mad We never did fully combine them. I guess she would be more tolerant of my renewed obsession with OTR, since those volumes don't take up any physical space or contribute to clutter anywhere but on my hard drive. Twisted Evil

It is pretty amazing to think I can now download an OTR entire series with the click of a mouse. I remember feeling lucky to have taped a handful of episodes of CBSRMT or X-minus One or Gunsmoke or whatever off the air when I was a kid in the '70s.
human

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a while back that the average American living n the 19th century was exposed to less information in a lifetime than is contained in a single daily issue of the Wall Street Journal today.

Speaking of Encyclopedia Britannica, I found a complete 32-volume set of them stacked beside a dumpster at my apartment complex about a year ago. They're on the shelf in my living room now. They're from the mid-'80s, but in great shape—definitely too nice for the landfill. Of course, encyclopedias as we knew them have all been replaced by CD-ROMs and the Web.
shuffleotrfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: More Sherlock Holmes books which may be of Interest Reply with quote

The Holmes-Dracula File by Fred Saberhagen
The Schlock Homes stories by Robert L. Fish (very funny pastiche of Sherlock Holmes). One story was even featured in either mad magazine or one of the mad magazine picture books (many years ago.) Very Happy
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: More Sherlock Holmes books which may be of Interest Reply with quote

shuffleotrfan wrote:
The Holmes-Dracula File by Fred Saberhagen
The Schlock Homes stories by Robert L. Fish (very funny pastiche of Sherlock Holmes). One story was even featured in either mad magazine or one of the mad magazine picture books (many years ago.) Very Happy

It seems that Holmes vs. Dracula is a popular idea Smile

Brad
human

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having a Mad Magazine "Super Special" issue back in the mid-'70s (I'm thinking it was in my Christmas stocking in 1975 or 76) that had a replica issue from the '50s bound into it. The "cover story" was a Sherlock Holmes send-up. Maybe that is what you were thinking of.
shuffleotrfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holmes-Dracula File was more about a collaboration between Holmes and Dracula who, in the series by Saberhagen, is actually more of a hero than a villain.

Mad magazine did a number of great sendups of:
The Shadow
Wonder Woman
Superman
Sherlock Holmes via a cartoon version of, I believe, of the Schlock Homes version of Hound od the Baskervilles.

Mad Magazine was a great magazine in its day.

It even did cartoons based on some of the songs by Tom Lehrer. Check out Tom Lehrer on YouTube if you want to hear some of his best songs. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: